Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Ryan,

Those rear grill in your bumper are not OEM and from what I am seeing there are not looking too good... Here is what OEM parts looks like, if you are interested let me know as they are also looking for a good home. I also have the blade but yours looks in good condition

Old 05-08-2017, 03:33 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
As for the P0133 it is the O2 Sensor the problem, I had both P0133 and P0153 (both side) replaced them both and never saw that code again. Our cars do run rich and so goes through O2 sensors a little faster than regular cars, mine only had 30,000Kms and needed new ones. Shutout to Cadman again as he send me this link and they worked perfectly

###ebayDOTca/itm/FOR-ASTON-MARTIN-VANTAGE-FRONT-REAR-4-WIRE-DIRECT-FIT-LAMBDA-OXYGEN-SENSOR-03211-/171658085472?hash=item27f79e8460:g:Vd8AAOSw8d9UxrH N

Last edited by handyman2009; 05-08-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: remove live link
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Here is what the tools look like in the back of the driver seat

Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by handyman2009
Ryan,

Those rear grill in your bumper are not OEM and from what I am seeing there are not looking too good... Here is what OEM parts looks like, if you are interested let me know as they are also looking for a good home. I also have the blade but yours looks in good condition
I'm interested and I see it was used under the front grill as well...
Send me a PM with all-in price.

Thanks for the other info and tool kit photo as requested! + rating

Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Post Prepping for reassembly...

Time to clean the front wheel-wells and replace weatherstripping on headlight access panels:

I was down in the car parts room and found this foam weatherstripping while looking for other stuff. It's bigger that what fell off but it will do just fine:

One of the insulation blankets came off, so I decided it's going back on.
I'd like to take a stock curb weight. For reference my BRZ was 1220 kg and the Fiero project was 1430 kg (x 2.2 for lbs.):

Grabbed my two way tape and reapplied in all the same locations:

Headlight aim adjustment access panels reinstalled:

My dog Aston was QC today and noticed I forgot to clean one side. It does show a nice before and after constrast though:

Old 05-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Post Parts started arriving last and this week :)

Just in time, so I can keep at my list.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151285410555?...&sojTags=bu=bu

The TRW Jaguar handbrake pads C2C-13800 are sentimental to me as my wife's grandfather retired from the plant in Niagara. Good price and shipping via eBay global shipping program was fine:

Based on the warning below no handbrake turns are allowed before 150 miles after install

Sometimes you need to look at aftermarket solutions from cars with higher production numbers, so I ordered this from Amazon:

Unfortunately, Ontario requires a front license plate and the previous owner warned me he got two tickets for this...however I was looking for a more permanent (and radiator friendly solution) than wire ties

For engine oil, this time it was just too convenient to head over to the neighbourhood BMW dealer. My negotiation with the kid at the parts counter starting with my asking for one bottle to "top up" my M3. When he looked up the part number and gawked at the price, I asked "for $hits & giggles, how much is the discount if I buy a whole case of 12 bottles?" Turns out $5 X 12 plus tax = $68 = SOLD. Hey, if you don't ask, you can't save (and what's the worst they can say?).
I might buy future orders from other sources, but at least I know it's in stock just down the street:

I picked up the gear oil locally at Parts Source a few blocks from my place.
I decided to try this since the sticky thread mentioned it and that many of Irish's customers didn't complain of hard shifting. Well that and the fact I already had two bottles of it.

Kijiji helped me find sources of parts before I even owned an Aston. I collected some parts during my car search (pretty confident, eh?)
An example of that was oil filters, o-rings and gaskets from a previous Aston owner in Hamilton. He had sold his Vantage (with power pack) and found these supplies in a box cleaning out his garage while packing to move = sweet! (as that's when you get a cheap price):

Perhaps the biggest surprise was the most recent online order that arrived first - from the furthest away (Istanbul, Turkey). I don't know if the stuff is any good but I will report my feedback later on:

I think it was handyman that suggested (my memory is good, but short) I do something about the cosmetic condition of the scratched sill plates (that still look more purple than black to my eye) so the vinyl wrap came in an envelope today from Amazon (disappointingly not via a drone though)

In an effort to spread support for forum vendors (and looking out for good deals), I received my first order from Stuart @ Velocity AP today well packaged and in good condition. The big box threw me off to remembering what was inside . It was also refreshing to order from a Canadian supplier and not having to deal with exchange rates and customs duty etc.

To top things off, also got my tracking number from Rich @ Redpants today (my big order needed to finish the safety work) so it should arrive next week.

Icing on the cake was getting home this evening and opening a tax return cheque from the government (which will help with the current VISA bill)

The pressure is on to make more progress, as my excuses are gone

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 05-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I enjoy this guy...good luck..
when done please let us know how much money you put into this project...also your personal hours put into it...
Keep posting!

Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Aldv
I enjoy this guy...good luck..
when done please let us know how much money you put into this project...also your personal hours put into it...
Keep posting!

I keep track of every dollar spent on parts and will advise from time to time but never my Time as cars are my hobby to keep me out of trouble...

Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
but never my Time as cars are my hobby to keep me out of trouble...
There's a story in there. I've wondered how you have so much time to devote to this, not just the work, the documenting and posting is near as much work as the car! Add shopping, ordering, research, that's like a full time job.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey HO is correct....I would like to know hours worked as than it gives a baseline on actual cost of remodeling...just a thought but if not I understand your point...
cost of products ok...but please no listing of vendors breakdown...list like paint...bolts.. suspension parts etc...

Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
As a fellow ontarian and hater of the only province in Canada that requires front licence plates you should check out larrymoweraxle.com ??
His billet aluminum mounting fits in the tow eye hole and looks great . All billet aluminum . Theres lots of threads on here about licence plate mounts . Search button is your friend .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	476126  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM
New Jersey is as bad...I bought one off this company months ago...nice and comes off in one unit if you want to remove.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 PM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
I am using a front plate tow mount too. I do like the show and go plate and may go that route instead. I'm currently using this one for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172625474549

Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aldv
New Jersey is as bad...I bought one off this company months ago...nice and comes off in one unit if you want to remove.
There is no way I could ever ruin the looks of the front with a plate. They can give me all the tickets they want, even though I haven't gotten anything yet.

When I went thru inspection with it a couple days off the truck I had the front plate on the passenger floor. They make you get in the pass side and the woman gets in and plugs in, and tells me I have to put the tag on the dash. Where I held it while she inspected, and then put it back in the trunk where I keep it.

The best way to get out of a ticket you don't want is to give them reasons to give you tickets you don't care about, the ones that don't come with points

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Nice discussion here...

Regarding time and money, I will post a high level summary from date of purchase to date of on the road (when I cross that bridge).

Yes I have been spending a lot of time on the car to the point my wife is getting jealous . You may notice many of my posts are after she goes to bed. This pace of work isn't sustainable and will slow down once I'm driving the car. I do work full-time​ but from home a couple days a week. My kids are 20 and 25 and are no longer living at home. As you can tell my dog walks into almost every photo I take. Snapping cell phone pics doesn't slow me down much and I can type about 50 words a minute (best course I ever took in high school - lots of girls, and my Dad told me computers were going to be a big deal in the future...) Therefore documenting what I do on the car online, creates a good record for me and others. If it provide some entertainment to fellow owners, that's​ a side bonus.

The toe eye plate is another great idea to avoid holes in a bumper cover, but since the tow hook isn't centred, it wasn't my first choice. My car's exterior is symmetrical and I intend to keep it that way. Just personal taste, to each their own. For me, local Honda Civics etc have ruined the offset plate look for me....but hey I encourage every owner to do whatever they like.

I admit I haven't spent much time using search field on forum yet but I did buy a PDF version of the shop manuals for my car. Once my car is on the road in mainly stock form, I'll have time for other threads - the stage many of you are already at. In the meantime I'll just keep buying and installing used OEM parts from handyman who has already upgraded to something nicer

I'll post the photos of my "show and go" install tonight.
It should be very Bond like lol.

Cheers, Ryan

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 05-11-2017 at 09:10 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada