Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Nice build story, pretty cool DIY of items most won't even think about tackling!

Sucks I saw this too late..I was going to comment on the jack stands placed on rocks, sadly you found out "why not" to do this...

The headlamps circuit boards usually have this issue when the solder cracks on the backside, or a relay internal switch is slightly warped inside. For the board, using a mulitmeter you can check for the hair-line cracks from pin to contact route on board, once found just remove the solder and reapply. The relay I use power it and check for switch to close.

Either way, the flashers are working now so don't lose sleep over it..haha although if your **** about this I'm sure that little hose duck taped will eat your mind alive knowing it's in there and it shouldn't be! :-)

That clear relay, does it splice into the backside of the boot fusebox? Am I seeing right, it's a 14 pin relay? So 12 pins and 13+14 for coil? ..wtf, little over the top?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:54 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
Thanks guys for advising the newbie!

To put things in perspective, I'm still at the stage testing for stuff like this evenings brain-fart..."oh crap, I can't believe I haven't yet checked to see if the new clubs fit!"

Ah, calm blue ocean
That's something you make sure BEFORE you buy the car!

I asked the dealer who said yes but you have to pull the driver. I found out you just need to move the tire kit and it takes the bag as is. Actually fits better than my Z! Although as you can see it's way past time for a new bag.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Irish, and welcome to the thread

Originally Posted by irish07
Either way, the flashers are working now so don't lose sleep over it..haha although if your **** about this I'm sure that little hose duck taped will eat your mind alive knowing it's in there and it shouldn't be! :-)

That clear relay, does it splice into the backside of the boot fusebox? Am I seeing right, it's a 14 pin relay? So 12 pins and 13+14 for coil? ..wtf, little over the top?
LOL you are correct that if they go out again, I've got a winter project to refurbish the boards - I was just so excited I got them working for the safety check, I moved onto the next thing on the list...

Yes looks like a 14 pin relay which didn't appear OEM to me.
I'll trace where it goes and provide an update.

Thanks for your sticky on gear oil - much appreciated as it's on my list based on what I've found so far...

Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I found out you just need to move the tire kit and it takes the bag as is. Actually fits better than my Z! Although as you can see it's way past time for a new bag.
Yeah it looks like it fits better with base on the passenger side.
Where did you relocate the tire kit to?

Old 05-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Thumbs up Nice weather today...

Here's one of the reasons I am not afraid to buy a used car privately rather than paying more for a detailed one in the used car dealer showroom.

Reminder of what the engine bay looked like during my test drive:

Some shots of how it looks after about a half hour of my time and a can of engine de-greaser:

A girl at work asked me if a cat attacked my hand but no I just should have worn gloves when wiping up with a micro fiber cloth
Yes that is a Great White North snow shovel handle preforming a task my hood lift struts can no longer.

I did follow other best practices though such as not using a pressure washer, protecting and not spraying water on electrical connectors, doing this with a cold engine then running 10 minutes to help dry the engine bay...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-07-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Question of the day...

Does this look normal and how do I fix it so cover moves with Sat Nav (GPS)
The previous owner suggested krazy glue like he did before...
Looking at the range of motion that would make it bind IMHO

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-07-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:38 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Yeah it looks like it fits better with base on the passenger side.
Where did you relocate the tire kit to?
You can see it up on the right side of the "shelf" over the B&O system [I'm pretty sure that is, I only see this on B&O Beosound cars]. It's heavy enough and wedged in enough to stay put. My shoes, not always, maybe I need bigger cleats

Old 05-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Why does everything have so much gloss, does not look natural?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Why does everything have so much gloss, does not look natural?
Sorry forgot to post what I used: I've tried all 3 but my personal fav is the Gel in the pic below:

Those photos were taken when wet.
I use a protectant after the engine shampoo so that it can be maintained with a multi-surface engine bay cleaner (in a spray bottle) and a rag.

Here's a couple pics of the protectant dry which is more natural looking:

Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Smile Carpet cleaning and shampooing

I really like how easy it is to remove carpets in the Aston so they can be cleaned outside the car much more thoroughly than in the car.

My steps after remove were:

1) Vacuum
2) Thoroughly pressure wash
3) Allow to dry until just damp
4) Scrub with carpet cleaner / shampoo
5) Wet / Dry vacuum
6) Hang to dry fully

I am very please with the results of my time and less than $20 of carpet cleaner / shampoo:

It took 10 minutes to get all the existing suds out of this mat!

I reattached part number labels as they fell off:

Other times I relocated them to the insulation so they wouldn't get wet:

I spray glued the package tray pieces sides back together upon completion:

Let everything drip and air dry for 24 hours after a thorough wet/dry vac to get most of the water and excess shampoo removed:

I'm missing a plastic round / square grommet that make this drivers side floor mat look low rent - please advise if you know where I can buy that piece separately. Would be a shame to have to buy new mats for that:

Not only do the carpets look great, they smell so much better even before reinstalling into the Vantage

Very happy how this went and now am just cleaning a couple of the non stained vertical carpets that were not worth removing:

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
Wow looking good so far!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Looks good, and man sorry to hear about the "accident" on jack stands. Glad you weren't under it when it happened!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM
The engine bay looked very nice when dry, and very natural. Those wet shots had me wondering what you'd coated everything with

Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
You are making great progress despite some of the setbacks. You will have it looking mint soon I'm sure. Great work!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Looking better day by day .
I enjoy seeing the results of guys doing DIY on these cars . So many guys say "oooh its an Aston Martin it has to go to the dealer " clearly the answer is no it doesnt , I do as much as I can myself as well and will continue to . I intend on even doing my own clutch when its time .
The thing I dont get is why/how did the previous owner let the car get to be in such a state ,obviously too much money and no care about the car . I could never let any of my vehicles get to be in that condition .
Keep up the great work .

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada