Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Rear under bumper returns to OEM look

When I got up this morning this box was sitting on my desk. I opened it up and noticed how nice everything was packaged, no damage and looks good. Thanks again Handyman:

Someone must have watched too many episodes of "Unique Whips" and added "Strut" style BLING mesh to the front and rear under bumpers. I decided it has to go so time to return the look to stock:

Everything was cleaned or polished before reassembly including the muffler:

I'm happy with the results:

Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Asanti Forged Wheels

I dropped by Niagara Battery & Tire to have the tires removed from the rims.
I am keeping the AM9 run flats as spares for my stock wheels. The rear tires were recycled. I cleaned all the brake dust off them and am putting them on Kijiji. If they don't sell I'll save them for a future project:

Old 05-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Happy 1st Birthday Aston!

My Fox Red Labrador turned one on May 12th - my supervisor on the Vantage project

Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Post Cleaning continues...

On the stock rims that were remounted and balanced, I found the time to remove all the glue and residue from where the previous balancing weights were. I found razor blade then steel wool with lots of auto Goo Gone worked best:

It was nice that the new weights were hidden behind the rims 7 spoke design:

Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
hey Ryan
just an observation, the case of Bmw 10-60 you bought. i dont see that it says
synthetic anywhere on the bottle or box.? the manual states fully sytnetic
????

Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Exclamation Engine oil

Originally Posted by cadman
hey Ryan
just an observation, the case of Bmw 10-60 you bought. i dont see that it says
synthetic anywhere on the bottle or box.? the manual states fully sytnetic
????
I was wondering about that although others have been using it (which doesn't mean that it's right)

Below is a picture of my 2007 owners manual page and a pic of the back of the bottle. I suspect not every year Vantage is written the exact same way. Mine doesn't seem to specify 10w60 SN
Anyone who wants to chime in with their opinion is welcome too...

Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Your rear diffuser and grill looks much better now, glad the parts were put to good use. And for the oil, here is the definition according to ECS tuning web site

Product Details

Engine oil BMW M TwinPower Turbo SAE 10W-60 is designed specifically for engines BMW M. Through the use of innovative technology GTL base oil protects the engine at a level exceeding industry standards. This engine oil maintains optimum engine cleanliness BMW M and makes full use of their potential. Engine oil passed difficult tests and has been approved for use in the engines of BMW M. This engine oil is allowed to use the BMW at all temperatures.

and then research GTL Base oil and got

GTL technology
The heart of Shell’s GTL technology is Fischer-Tropsch (FT) synthesis, based on the catalytic production of paraffin hydrocarbons from carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrogen (H2).2 Natural gas, the cleanest-burning fossil fuel, was chosen as the preferred hydrocarbon source because it is affordable, available and environmentally acceptable.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:23 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
castrol edge sport,is synthetic,
any castrol with edge in the name is synthetic
i.m sure the bmw oil is fine, if your gonna change it every year
anyway,at $5 bottle you cant go wrong...

Old 05-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
That oil is fine, here's more info:
http://www.redpants.lol/blog/2015/12...nicorn%20blood

Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Exclamation Thanks for the extra info guys...

Regarding the 10w60...In summary, I'm sure the oil I chose this time is an improvement over what's in this decade old motor at the moment

Okay here is the Show 'n Go front license plate (version 2.0)
I'm pleased with the results with the scrapping / damage concern addressed.
I'll show steps if anyone is interested in this option, but in the meantime here are a couple shots of the "now you see it, not you don't":

Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Post more photos...

Some pics from different angle and close-ups of plate retracted:

Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Plate showing

Since there is an oil cooler in the lower front grill, another good reason to centre it between the two grills (if you want a centered plate instead of the tow hook mount solution):

Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
This is coming together awesome!

Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice, I am interested in how you were able to mount it there. It looks clean and won't scrap the pavement

Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Post Ask and you shall receive

Originally Posted by handyman2009
Looks very nice, I am interested in how you were able to mount it there. It looks clean and won't scrap the pavement
Thanks for biting...

I word of warning, I think I invented this mod, but it is not for the faint of heart as reversal to OEM stock requires a new grill below the bumper and re-installing the centre airbox scoop...

Here are pics that I will explain as I went in chrono order:

First I had to remove my cheesy bling that thankfully was only held on with zip ties (no it is not for sale as I threw it in the garbage due to not being Aston quality...)

Looks so much better already IMHO:

Remove the lower OEM mesh via popping off the clips (so refreshing to not have Torx bolts for the first time lol):

After removing the visible torx bolts, the nuts could be loosened with needle nose pliers on my car and spun off with my fingers:

Yay, something else to clean with metal polish:

Next remove the centre scoop for the airboxes (I am running open airboxes so if you are not, it's your choice whether to do this):

If you plan to go ahead with this mod, remove the front screw holding the airbox on each side so you can unplug the airbox intake ducting:

Glad my pictures are in order or I'd never remember - unbolt the oil cooler with two bolts each side and drop it down a couple inches:

Remove the ducting from the centre section on each side:

The center airbox can be unclipped into two pieces (front and rear then pulled out without removing bumper cover)

Here is the front half removed:

Rest of it in pieces removed - I will be keeping these pieces in the Aston room:

Install a couple self tapping screws by the bumper at the back of the front show 'n go bracket slots here:

When the bracket is mounted, you can see why the plastic was removed. Also zip tie the ducting on either side so it doesn't interfere with plate and reconnect other ends and reattach both airbox front screws:

As a precaution to protect the moving license plate frame, I installed soft side of 2" velcro on the top of the oil cooler:

I lowered the oil cooler about a 1/4" via four plastic washers from my license plate hardware kit (again to ensure no contact from plate and oil cooler). Here are pics of it and show 'n go mounted:

Before the grill can be reinstalled, it required tin snips to cut a notch for clearance:

Here's how it looked modded and it was trimmed off with rubber split hose:

Plate retracted:

Plate on display:

Let me know if you have any questions, or add me a reputation for posting the how to...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 05-14-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: double pic post

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada