Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:42 PM
EDiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston Martin DB9

Hello,

I have my Aston Martin DB9 in the dealiship with 49000 miles.
I had a light for emission system error until one day the car stoped.
I had AAA take it to the dealership and 1st they repaired some transmission leak... I took the car out after paying $3000 and but the car vibrated a little.
I took it to the dealiship again and now they want to change the fuel pumps for $4000.
Is this normal? Has it happeend to anyone?
Considering labour is soo expensive here.. more than double a normal mechanic, should I take it somewhere else?

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EDiddy
Hello,

I have my Aston Martin DB9 in the dealiship with 49000 miles.
I had a light for emission system error until one day the car stoped.
I had AAA take it to the dealership and 1st they repaired some transmission leak... I took the car out after paying $3000 and but the car vibrated a little.
I took it to the dealiship again and now they want to change the fuel pumps for $4000.
Is this normal? Has it happeend to anyone?
Considering labour is soo expensive here.. more than double a normal mechanic, should I take it somewhere else?

Thank you very much for your help.
Others will chime in with better answers but......

1. the transmission leak sounds like the same cost as the KNOWN issues the early DB9s had that some cars slipped past the warranty claims. But his shouldn't cause any vibrations.

2. Yes get a second opinion for sure by a INDY who knows AMs. I don't know where the fuel pumps are located, but REDPANTS can help you get the parts at a good price if needed, and an INDY can do the install. Should come out a lot cheaper than a dealer, IF that is the actual issue. Vibrations can likely come from anywhere ---tires, brakes, engine, transmission, drive shaft etc..... IF the engine is now not running smoothly, then maybe it could be fuel pumps, could be fuel filters clogged, could be an injector, could be a coil pack-----might be this if they have never been replaced. So those are possibly likely instances of what could be happening, but an INDY will hopefully confirm or deny the actual issue.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Thank you very much for your help...
I hope the vibration is not from the gear box... as I believe that could be the worse damage to the car..

Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
First off, a transmission leak would not cause an Emissions code to trigger, so I think you should clarify w/dealership what was done, unless they fixed both for the $3,000.
Second, most likely the vibration is caused by them not tightening or not reinstalling something during the tranny fix, would MOST definitely not be taking my car back to them.

Coupe or volante, big difference in the cost to R&R the fuel pumps. But $4,000 seems a bit excessive for a volante and way excessive for a coupe, unless they are going to something else.

Also, and I am guilty of this, put everything you know in your initial post, because even the smallest detail can make a big difference in peoples ability to help you.

Last edited by randyb; 07-24-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Transmission fluid leak will bring on a CEL, low fluid level usually flags one or multiple incorrect gear ratio code/codes.

If the car is running It doesn't need 2 fuel pumps! If its running on 6 cylinders it could be a few things. You need to give us exact codes, information like year of vehicle and if its a Coupe or Volante. Fuel pumps are a spendy item and x2. If its a coupe it will be 3x the labor.......

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Guys, thank you very much for your help..
Its a 2005 db9 coupe.

The thing is that this guys havent been very proffessional, so I have my doubts.

The car has a bit of everyting. AC doest work..and thats another $2000.

Then they wanted to charge me $3000 for changing the brake fluid.. (I must admit brakes make a noise when slowing down under 20 miles/hour) but I didnt accept the quote on that. I did the rest of the things.

After this revision the car comes out of the dealerhip and I feel it vibrate a little.. So I take it back on the same day.. they find nothing.. and on the third day they tell me its the fuel pums... and I have to spend another $4000.

WHat do you recomend?

key one works, the secondone does not work, missing "pill"

2nd Key - if no key still 1.0 hr labor for the programming ans resetting module special order part from UK$208.22$199.99

2 year service (oil and brake lfuid very dark)all parts in stock$1,175.00$1,417.50

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Large Evap Leak: Gas cap stripped and seal compromisedspecial order part in USA$379.58$199.99

OIL LEAKING FROM TRANSMISSION COOLER - ATTEMPTED REPAIR FAILING

Trans Cooler Kit with Fluidspecial order part in USA$1,402.61$1,194.00

Alarm Siren - Fault codes will lead to doors not being able to lock as well as bad battyspecial order part in USA$326.36$199.99

SUBTOTALS:$0.00$3,491.77$3,211.47
Total of Parts and Labor:$6,703.24Sublet:
Total Sublet:$0.00This charge represents costs and profits to the repair facility for miscellaneous shop supplies and or waste disposalEstimated Shop Supplies/Hazardous Waste:$39.00It is impossible to furnish an exact quotation without completely disassembling your car. THIS IS NOT A QUOTATION, but simply an ESTIMATE. Parts, Labor and sublet may be more or less; but absolutely in keeping with good work.
MINIMUM ESTIMATE FEE IS ONE HOUR LABOR + SHOP SUPPLIES + SALES TAX.
Labor rate depends on complexity of repair and skill level required by repair. All times are from JAGUAR labor times guide. Estimate prices valid for 90days.
ALL REPAIRS MUST BE PAID FOR IN FULL UPON DELIVERY. "

SUBTOTAL:$6,742.24Tax:$471.96TOTAL:$7,214.20Having reviewed this estimate fully, I hereby authorize the above repairs.

Date:7/5/2017

X
v1.25

Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Transmission fluid leak will bring on a CEL, low fluid level usually flags one or multiple incorrect gear ratio code/codes.

If the car is running It doesn't need 2 fuel pumps! If its running on 6 cylinders it could be a few things. You need to give us exact codes, information like year of vehicle and if its a Coupe or Volante. Fuel pumps are a spendy item and x2. If its a coupe it will be 3x the labor.......
Transmission leak will NOT bring on an EMISSIONS CEL, which is what the OP says he had and the leak would set other types of CEL's.

Doesn't the fuel pumps run one as primary and the second as secondary and the second only coming on as the RPM's go up to keep the pressure up?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Did you just buy the car?

That is a laundry list of problems for sure.

1) How did the 2nd key lose the 'pill'?

2) $3,000 for brakes?? Is this just changing the fluid or fluid change and new brakes?

3) Fuel pump thing still bothers me, I would still take it to an indy mechanic?

Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Go see Max Azael, he's in Doral and he takes care of a bunch of Aston Martins. Very nice, honest and experienced exotic car tech.

http://www.azaelmotorsports.com/

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Take the car to the individual that was recommended by Stuart at VAP. Get them to go over the car and list out EVERYTHING that needs replacing to run correctly, then what items are needed to just make things better.

Then go through that list for what your budget can afford.

Once you have that list, go to REDPANTS for all your parts, he can get you anything from AM and you will appreciate the prices.

Oil and Brake fluid service is that much at a dealer for the once per year or two year intervals. However, REDPANTS sells the oil change kit with everything for $66 for the DB9 NOT including the oil. You will likely spend another 100 or so on oil. So then its a matter of what the labor charge is at an INDY.

Brake fluid flushing with new brake fluid is likely around $250 maybe. So for half or more of the dealer price you can get all this done elsewhere.

Listen to what is being said, there are a lot of various issues on your car that we don't know the extent of what is happening, so us saying this or that may or may not be the issue. Get the basics done at the place recommended, then move from there.

Did you just buy this car? What is its history? Sounds like someone wholesaled it due some issue, or the fact it needed a lot to get it up to par. Just wondering

Old 07-24-2017, 05:44 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Transmission leak will NOT bring on an EMISSIONS CEL, which is what the OP says he had and the leak would set other types of CEL's.

Doesn't the fuel pumps run one as primary and the second as secondary and the second only coming on as the RPM's go up to keep the pressure up.

Yes, and you should know...............Because?

1 fuel pump per bank. It's not Jaguar!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 PM
Guys thank you for your incredible help!!

Im picking up the car tomorrow and taking it to Azael!
Then I will buy the pieces in redpants!

Im very grateful and I will let you know how things go!

This is my first Aston Martin in Miami. I owned a Vantage in Spain.. and yes, I think the sellerwas not truly honest about the condition of the car.

Overall the car interior and exterior looks great! Ill send you some pics when It comes out nice and repaired

Thank you once again!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM
That sounds like the best option. You should get it sorted out and back to enjoying the pride of enjoying it.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Take the car to the individual that was recommended by Stuart at VAP. Get them to go over the car and list out EVERYTHING that needs replacing to run correctly, then what items are needed to just make things better.

Then go through that list for what your budget can afford.

Once you have that list, go to REDPANTS for all your parts, he can get you anything from AM and you will appreciate the prices.

Oil and Brake fluid service is that much at a dealer for the once per year or two year intervals. However, REDPANTS sells the oil change kit with everything for $66 for the DB9 NOT including the oil. You will likely spend another 100 or so on oil. So then its a matter of what the labor charge is at an INDY.

Brake fluid flushing with new brake fluid is likely around $250 maybe. So for half or more of the dealer price you can get all this done elsewhere.

Listen to what is being said, there are a lot of various issues on your car that we don't know the extent of what is happening, so us saying this or that may or may not be the issue. Get the basics done at the place recommended, then move from there.

Did you just buy this car? What is its history? Sounds like someone wholesaled it due some issue, or the fact it needed a lot to get it up to par. Just wondering
We sell lots of OEM Parts too

In fact, I have some SUPER cheap V12 Oil filters at the moment. Long story but I ended up with a bunch of free ones so we are selling them at silly prices.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We sell lots of OEM Parts too

In fact, I have some SUPER cheap V12 Oil filters at the moment. Long story but I ended up with a bunch of free ones so we are selling them at silly prices.
Emailing you for a few at silly prices then sir. Sorry I give you love too, not hard to say both of you guys do sell parts, should do that more often.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.