Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 V8V dash died while driving.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 PM
TJ851 is on a distinguished road
Question 2007 V8V dash died while driving.

Hi guys, Driving along in my 07 V8V and the dash cluster suddenly went dark. No Speedo, Tach, nothing except Parking Brake and ABS warning lights. Signal not working either. Radio works, but no volume control. Car will start again. Engin turns off, but radio etc keeps playing. Waited, but has not reset. Ive done searches for similar problems to no avail.
Confused. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2017, 12:54 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Roadster?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes. It actually reset briefly (SRS Airbag warning) only to go dark after about a minute. checking Fuse 46, but seems ok
Also Roof and trunk not functioning.

Last edited by TJ851; 09-03-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:29 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
You are most likely suffering a problem unique to Roadsters, when the roof module is on he way to heaven/hell it plays stupid on the Can bus which in most cases affects the instrument cluster. It lights up like a Christmas tree, blacks out completely or anything in between. No DIY here possible.
I guess you got to see your friendly AM workshop.
Keep the shiny side up
Christian

Old 09-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Well doesn't that suck. And dealer is 300 miles away.
Was working perfect. Will contact dealer Tuesday I guess.
Thanks for the help Christian.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:38 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Old 09-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the lead. Will check out CRM threads

Old 09-03-2017, 06:16 PM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
The modules you mention are most likely all on a secondary bus, a bus for non-critical functions such as stereo, turn indicator etc.

Do you have anything special installed that might be on that bus? Such as some audio gear like a line-in? Those are famous for blocking the bus. Removing them makes it work again.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
It does sound like the convertible roof module. If it is the CRM - as it was in my DB9 - you can usually restore all functions except for the roof by simply removing the module. That worked for me.
In my car it's under a hatch in one of the wheel wells. Sorry, don't know where the Vantage module is.
It's easy enough to replace the module yourself, but the dealer may have to program it for you using their computer. In SOME cases - and no one seems to know why - the replacement module works right out of the box.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by squiddie
The modules you mention are most likely all on a secondary bus, a bus for non-critical functions such as stereo, turn indicator etc.

Do you have anything special installed that might be on that bus? Such as some audio gear like a line-in? Those are famous for blocking the bus. Removing them makes it work again.

Great idea but nope. No changes/additions to electrical system, this time.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by zuman
It does sound like the convertible roof module. If it is the CRM - as it was in my DB9 - you can usually restore all functions except for the roof by simply removing the module. That worked for me.
In my car it's under a hatch in one of the wheel wells. Sorry, don't know where the Vantage module is.
It's easy enough to replace the module yourself, but the dealer may have to program it for you using their computer. In SOME cases - and no one seems to know why - the replacement module works right out of the box.
i will try removing he crm model as you suggest. This might also explain why it has stuttered a bit when starting cold from what everyone is saying. Roof WAS working great. Who knew? Lol.
Will share solution when found.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I had this exact issue, it was the crm module, it died for some reason, definitely an issue with the older roadsters. I am not handy enough to fix it and the dealer repaired for around 1100 if I remember. Sucks, but welcome to Aston ownership... still love the car, but it's time for a new one.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
+1 crm

Old 09-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
I agree CRM. I recently replaced my CRM. My understanding is that it is accessible through the rear right wheel well. You take off the wheel, remove the liner, and then you can access the plate that covers the CRM.

You can remove the CRM yourself, and replacing it is a simple task as well. The problem is that the unit needs to be flashed to your car (I believe some units will work out of the box and don't need to be flashed). It takes special equipment and computer files to flash.

Rich at Redpants may have better information. You can certainly save money by doing the work yourself. But check with your nearest dealer to make sure they are willing to flash a CRM that you have installed.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's not a cheap "let's just try this it" fix.
Closest dealer wants $1600 which is crazy so worth trying myself. The shop manual talks about R&R which looks simple enough, there is no mention about he need to flash, so it is worth a shot. Also, as I don't live close to any dealers, hopefully they will take pity on me and flash it if necessary.
I am trying to find/order one I can get quickly and will update. Scuderia will take at least a week and would like it before that for a planned trip.
Hope I'm lucky.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 V8V dash died while driving.