NEW Vantage Unveiled - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by: Bamford Rose

NEW Vantage Unveiled

Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 AM

handyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_aston View Post
This new car is a lot more edgy/masculine, whereas the prior car was elegant/feminine.
I don't think that we are looking at the same car....
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 AM

out-motoring is an unknown quantity at this point
I like it- but I like the current model a bit more in many ways, however the interior is looking a bit dated. It feels like 'we' lost some of the elegance and beauty in favor of aggressiveness and a bit of flair and 'open-ness' in the new design. The new model does not look like it has the same aggressive elegance with less elegance than I would have hoped for. It has some details that feel more like Lotus and Jag than Aston.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 AM

out-motoring is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW- it looks like Jalopnik has one of the better photo collections:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-aston-martin-vantage-doesnt-settle-for-anythin-1820636456

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-21-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM

007JB is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in auto service industry & I see lot of cars & drive lot of different cars. This new vantage for me is just another car. I saw it in person @ Galpin last week. IMO-it's not Aston like it's more of like another trying to hard to impress, too aggressive which means it has lot same kind of lines as many cars out there. some people say it's like mazda, jaguar, toyota or whatever. I was board with front look in a minute. Rear end is ok, it's got some elegance, side view is whatever. So, IMO- it's a pass.
Every time I start thinking about selling my 2013 Vantage & then I ask myself question what do I replace it with that has same kind of elegance...... maybe another Aston?
Bottom line, I'm keeping mine.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Basic Sponsor

Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Super disappointed in the front end. It looks exactly how I hoped it wouldn't, based on the camoflagued one that we've been seeing in pics, which looked identical to production. The headlights have little character. They're almost lifeless, but that may be because of the front overall. The 'grille' looks like a giant fake mustache that was tacked onto what would be an otherwise pretty nose. The hood lines aren't as graceful as the outgoing Vantage, especially since the hood doesn't extend all the way to the grille. AM took a step back in design - that detail is closer to the DB7 and first-gen Vanquish.

The lime green is a very odd launch color, but it does show off the rear extremely well. It makes the diffuser look great by having body-colored highlights on diffuser. The diffuser in all-black looks too overwhelming, and the way the trim has that upward 'peak' above the tail pipes is a bit much on top of it without having some body-color accents to break it all up. The tail pipes look unfinished (because they are, in a literal sense), and I prefer having the rolled tail pipe finishing tips of the outgoing Vantage.

The styling is very different than anything Aston has done before with a standard production car, but that's the whole point. It's supposed to stand apart completely as a sports car beside the grand touring DB11. I like that they did that, I just wish the front end was better executed.

Definitely love the interior, and they did a great job of integrating the M-B stuff without being too obvious about it. Would have prefered a better-integrated screen, but no manufacturer is getting that right these days, unfortunately. I like the use of traditional controls, too.

I was told point-blank by Aston Martin's CEO and CMO, in person, that the Vantage will get a manual option. I'm looking forward to seeing how they integrate a stick into that console. But at least they have a tried-and-true *good* automatic gearbox in there instead of a hit-or-miss ASM.

I'm going to wait and see how the car grows on me. I was fully intending to get a roadster with manual gearbox down the road but... that front end is just... not good. Styling is subjective, of course, and it's just my opinion.
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 AM

blue2000s will become famous soon enough
Meh, not for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Ozzir is on a distinguished road
I love the side view and the rear. The interior is fricking amazing. I love it. Then I get to the front end and I cry. Its so bad. The headlights look they came off a 92 Viper and that big hole just looks weird. I was really hoping this car would give me something to trade off my Gallardo on but now if I get an AM it will be the current style. Oh well. They tried. LOL.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Basic Sponsor

Stuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond repute
Initial Impressions:
- Interior looks good. More modern without going crazy.
- The top half of the rear is okay, but the way the diffuser curves up at the outside edges wrecks it. Needs more rear bumper there, and less diffuser - a straighter line across.
- Like the side view, until you get to the aforementioned diffuser area that wraps toward the rear wheels
- The front... it just feels like it is missing something. I won't go so far as to say I hate it, because sometimes one or two small changes make a big difference, but there's just not enough there.

That said, in a different colour with less contrast between body & accents it might feel different, and in person is way different than pictures.
2384 Government Street
Penticton, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)236-422-3341
Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM

Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
Here's MotoMan's review. I like how thorough he is.

But as I predicted... butterface.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:55 AM

99Problems is on a distinguished road
I was anticipating this reveal for 2 years now. First thing this morning I went through the Am website and configured, played around with colors, etc. There are definitely some lines and angles to the car that I like, but the front feels like a missed opportunity. The bonnet lines don't grab me, and the head lights are just bad. The day time running lights have ZERO character, which is really disappointing given the out going Vantage's lights being so distinctive.

There is more around back to love for me, but as someone else mentioned the unfinished exhaust tips are another inexcusable miss. This is not a Ford F150... its an Aston Martin, and that unfinished exhaust tip feels like a lack of attention to detail.

Interior I can't really give an opinion on, that's one of those "I have to sit in it" to really assess how I feel about it. The car as a whole in person may provide more presence in person than in pics, but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

HOWEVER, all of this is moot and pointless, because with no manual option, I will not buy the car. So if 2019 MY is auto only, then its not an option for me. Again, AM wants to position this as an aggressive sports car to enthusiasts, and you debut with no manual option? BIG miss.

Last thing, for pricing, I don't recall what the last outgoing Vantage starting price was, but it was well below 150K US. Optioned up to most people's buying preference, I'm guessing this new car is approaching 170K, maybe 180K? Struggling with that value proposition.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 AM

rohnin is on a distinguished road
When I first saw this two weeks ago I felt ashamed. I hope it helps our current Vantage values
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM

99Problems is on a distinguished road
Just watched the Motoman video... Sweet jesus, what did they do with the exhaust note? Granted its just revving sitting still, but its sounds way more Jag F-Type R than Aston. Now I'm sad...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM

rocketboots999 is an unknown quantity at this point
You know when you open up the box of something you have just purchased, say a phone or a laptop, and it has protective plastic molding around it for protection, that is what the front and back look like to me. It seems like they left the protective plastic molding on when they took it out of the box. Alternatively, it could be that they forgot to take the car off the robot trolley that transports it around the factory during the build. Either way - yech!

The front grille is hideous, like a lot of them are nowadays, but even Toyota is toned down compared to that.

The upper rear 3/4 view has elements I quite like, but otherwise I agree that it is F-type influenced, but with some Nissan and Mazda thrown in.

They can't stagnate, so it is important to move with the times, but the pictures don't have that "jaw drop" factor for me.

Just my opinion and perhaps it might eventually grow on me... after they do their first freshening cycle of this design.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM

Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
It sounds like a manual trans is coming next year, so I'm not gonna sweat the transmission stuff.

I have the same gripes about the front, but I think what disappoints me most is how much of a missed opportunity it was. The Vulcan gets my heart racing... I see they were trying to capture the same effect, but they missed by quite a lot. If they had kept the headlights from the Vulcan (and the side strakes, for that matter), it might have worked... but it is Miata-esque with the arrangement it got. Edit: CarAdvice said they were going for Vulcan + DB10. Should've left the DB10 part out and they might've had a winner. lol

As for the exhaust tips... I can understand why current owners would be bothered by them being unfinished, but it does look more race-y with them unfinished. Some of the most extreme supercars that show up to my local Supercar Saturdays (specifically, Lamborghinis and R8s, which seem to get modded more than others) have unfinished titanium exhaust tips, and I think it works well, if extreme is what you're going for.

We'll see what future face-lifts have in store.

Last edited by Mathman85; 11-21-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM

smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickplee View Post

1) Nicest F-Type ever
2) ZF 8-speed auto? Wat?
3) Total butterface. Do not want.
When I saw the car two weeks ago I told them the back reminds of a F-type. I ask them about the 8 speed and their answer is that they are looking at attracting a different crowd instead of enthusiast for the initial release.

When you really start specing the car it is approaching 570s. No thanks as I will take the the 570 spider for sure