NEW Vantage Unveiled - Page 4 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by: Bamford Rose

NEW Vantage Unveiled

Old 11-21-2017, 02:22 PM

sonies will become famous soon enoughsonies will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
The front grill looks crude in each of its optional colors. At least in the configurator.
yeah black seems to be the best one, hides it the best...

I can imagine that future facelifts will have some sort of slatted design added to it, which I don't think would look that bad TBH
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM

PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
Just did a quick read through all the posts in this thread.
It seems the general consensus is not a very positive one.
Well, this has happened in the automotive world all too often when a new generation of vehicle coms out to replace a very well received and loved previous-gen.
I think Aston Martin deserves a round of applause for trying to do something different and rather than sticking to what they've been doing for the past decades. As they'd promised, Aston Martin tries to give us different cars in their lineup or at least tries to make some distinctions among their product lines. Look at the current Vantage, DB9 and Vanquish. Sometimes even us AM enthusiasts would have a hard time telling one apart from another. AM is doing a commendable job trying to differentiate Vantage being the "sporty" and "race-track oriented" one from DB11 which is poised to be a more "luxury oriented" and "elegant" GT.

I think we should give this new Vantage some time to grow on us. It's simply too quick to judge a new product on day 1 of its debut. Besides, I'm sure 99% of us here have not seen the car in person yet (myself included) let alone having any driving impression with this new Vantage. But I find it amusing that someone here already mention about a "face-lift" already. Tough crowd...tough crowd.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonies View Post

and I think this is a similar but different competition to the 911 turbo which starts at $160k, this vantage starts at $150k I have to laugh to the guy that says the 570s is a direct competitor to this... yeah... no thats easily 50k more

better learn to love the ol' catfish!

Not sure if you are referring to me, but they have about 5 pre-spec versions of the vantage and they were running close to 190k. Yes, you can MSO optioned out a 570s to above 250k but most are not going for that. You are right the 570s is not a competitor to this, it is way above it and I will gladly pay another 30k to get 570s over the new vantage.

Also, you can buy a brand new 650s that has been sitting in port for less than a 570s. So you can choose a 650s vs the new vantage.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM

rohnin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK_Vantage View Post
I think we should give this new Vantage some time to grow on us. It's simply too quick to judge a new product on day 1 of its debut. Besides, I'm sure 99% of us here have not seen the car in person yet (myself included) let alone having any driving impression with this new Vantage. But I find it amusing that someone here already mention about a "face-lift" already. Tough crowd...tough crowd.
Aston Martin has always been about love at first sight. If it takes time to grow on you, itís not what the brand is about. All the outgoing models were pretty much universally admired from day one, and for good reason.

I feel sorry for the dealers who have to justify this design with performance specs. Just buy the Mercedes, it looks much better
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Prefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to behold
I sat in a McClaren 570GT at the Aston Dealer all in black - too $$$ for me but if I had the dollars I'd take the McClaren in a second over the Aston now, and I really hate saying that.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:24 PM

ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
I remember stumbling upon a Vantage around 2006. I didn't know much about the car or the brand at that time but even from a distance I instantaneously thought, "Wow, that must be an Aston Martin." The car's design unmistakably evolved and enunciated the brand's heritage from just about every angle.

If I was to see the new Vantage on the street, I wouldn't necessarily know it was an Aston at first glance. That's a problem.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:48 PM

shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
first impressions matter.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
I can't get past the front grill. To me it does not reflect what an Aston is all about...beauty, soul, performance. To me it has some beauty but no soul. Sounds like they have made a good step forward in performance...... but that is not the reason most select an Aston.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Kanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the rough
The race version looks much better than the road car, doesn't have the fake mustache! Made some adjustments to the green, more like Kermit now! I'd have one of these.

Last edited by Kanga; 11-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Basic Sponsor

Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohnin View Post
Aston Martin has always been about love at first sight. If it takes time to grow on you, it’s not what the brand is about.
I have to agree with this.

Take the current Vanquish, for example. At first, I couldn't get past the neckbeard-like front splitter. Eventually I got used to it and I started to like it. But then a couple months ago I saw a Vanquish sitting next to a late DB9 (DB9.2 or facelifted DB9, or whatever you want to call it). Both were white and parked side by side. The DB9 was just such a better-looking car.

Looking at the new Vantage, that's what I keep going back to - that even if the front end grows on me, it still won't look as good as it used to look with the previous design.

Someone on PH posted a photoshop they found. It's just the DB11 front grafted onto the new Vantage, but it's soooo much better than the Vantage's costume mustache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark8V8 View Post
I can't get past the front grill. To me it does not reflect what an Aston is all about...beauty, soul, performance. To me it has some beauty but no soul. Sounds like they have made a good step forward in performance...... but that is not the reason most select an Aston.
Same for me, that front end is a dealbreaker.
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM

brightoncorgi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK_Vantage View Post
I think Aston Martin deserves a round of applause for trying to do something different and rather than sticking to what they've been doing for the past decades. As they'd promised, Aston Martin tries to give us different cars in their lineup or at least tries to make some distinctions among their product lines. Look at the current Vantage, DB9 and Vanquish. Sometimes even us AM enthusiasts would have a hard time telling one apart from another. AM is doing a commendable job trying to differentiate Vantage being the "sporty" and "race-track oriented" one from DB11 which is poised to be a more "luxury oriented" and "elegant" GT.

I think we should give this new Vantage some time to grow on us.

Totally agree with this all. After going to the AM configurator for the new Vantage, I can see a more classic looking Aston available should you spec it as one.

The new air management makes sense to take some styling cues from Ferrari F12? I see both brands have common thinking on that part of the engineering.

AM is delivering a lot of car if you consider the quality materials they use compared to any of German or Italian marques could deliver for the same price as the new Vantage. Just put it as that. This is a new design era for Aston. Not gilding the lily which has worked for the last decade or so.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM

brightoncorgi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpants View Post

Someone on PH posted a photoshop they found. It's just the DB11 front grafted onto the new Vantage, but it's soooo much better than the Vantage's costume mustache.

I prefer the slats over the mesh. I bet that will be option at some point.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Hedged will become famous soon enough
Like most here, I spent a good deal of time today perusing photos, videos and reactions from various sources. The new Vantage represents a technical leap for sure and a bold move by AM. But at the end of the day I felt compelled to go out and wash my 2014 Vantage 6-spd, take a step back, and give thanks.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:37 PM

handyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to behold
The good thing is that they can revise the front bumper with something more traditional like above... I like that look and maybe a quad exhaust to fill that space...
Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 PM

PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
All this commotion and upheaval made me feel like reliving the saga that Porsche had gone trough back when they introduced the 996 to replace the much loved 993 at the end of its air-cooled era.
At the end, people move on and look at where Porsche is at with their beloved 911 program today.

Kudos to Aston Martin for having the ***** to go radical on this new Vantage. It takes courage to venture onto a path not taken before. It's also so much easier to rest on one's laurels and keep working the proven method.
The above pshop from PH is pretty good looking but it made this Vantage simply a junior DB11. And that's exactly what Aston Martin is set out NOT to do with these new generation of cars.

Last edited by PK_Vantage; 11-21-2017 at 05:11 PM.