Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

NEW Vantage Unveiled

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Well I stayed back for a while, to take it all in. Like the DB 11, color makes a big difference on this car for me. I can appreciate what they were looking to do.
It has some interesting design features and details. Would I trade in my 2016 Vantage GT on one if I had the cash? Not at this point, I would have to wait and drive one with a manual gear box and see.
The design looks more like a revolution than a evolution. I would also need to see one in person, walk around it, and look at it up close.
With the DB 11 I liked it more in person than in the photos. Again color made a big difference for me as well. At this point, the interior, is the best part of the car for me.
Ron

Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 AM
L_W_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Very disappointed in the new design. I was actually a bit shocked when I first saw it. No doubt it performs great on the track, but who really cares? It just doesn't embody 'class' when I look at it. Nothing truly elegant about the car, unlike the prior version, which is now undoubtedly even more classic and more highly desirable, IMO. I can't get excited about turbos on any sports car at this point, so call me 'old school' I guess. Maybe over time it will increase in appeal as I get used to its looks, but for now... big PASS, and I will just appreciate even more what is sitting in my garage.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:42 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
From what I saw on Pistonheads forum, seems there are more positive comments over there, however many of those are accompanied with a "Not that I could buy one" comment, which is kind of telling. Seems those of us that actually own a Vantage, and would have considered buying another are mostly disappointed. To those that don't own or can't purchase one, its GREAT!! So how many cars does that move for AM? I'm really, really trying to like this new version, but certain design elements that I find lead me to love a car are just so poorly implemented. The head lights seem to be the one thing that I have yet to see anything but complaints about. That seems universal, so how did Aston miss so badly on that one?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
On AutoSpies they posed the question - who wins the beauty contest Tesla or Aston - I think on average Tesla wins so far:

http://autospies.com/news/Based-On-L...r-Tesla-94832/

Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
If this car appeals to you, well might well go ahead and save some money and get the F-Type. Same thing pretty much

Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deckman
If this car appeals to you, well might well go ahead and save some money and get the F-Type. Same thing pretty much
uhhh not seeing the similarity to be honest

https://www.google.com/search?q=F+ty...mMOlwGJJ8hXtM:

Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I can’t stop hating on this. It’s an embarrassment to the AM Vantage nameplate. What kind of boy racer designers did they hire?! I don’t feel sorry for AM if this fails miserably. Beautiful design was the one saving grace for this company with already poor customer service, among other issues. I put up with it just because the car was that good looking. I think it will be a very long time before I ever consider going through the tedious process of ordering another car from them again

Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 AM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Give it the vulcan face and it looks a lot better!

Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
Wow. Its amazing how many of you owners actually dislike this car too. This may be a total fail on Astons part. I wonder if the head honchos are sitting around a table right now going WTF did we do? There are barely any positive reviews on this car. Sad really. You would think as they were designing it that they would get reactions from some of their valued owners and get some feedback. Where the hell did they get the positive feedback from on the front end of this car because I have not read any positive comments on it anywhere. In my group of car friends not one of them had a good thing to say about the looks from the front. That's a large group of guys and to not have one of them like it is odd and couple of them are Aston owners as well.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I looked up an old post, where the CEO and Chief Designer explained their design process of the new Astons and their proxy customers and wanted to check with you guys if they accomplished their goals. Here are some excerpts:

"It's been said many times on here that the current range, although still head-turning, is pretty hard to separate. Aston agrees, especially between Vantage and DB9. Customers lured to the dealer were "cross shopping" between the two, Aston CEO Andy Palmer told a group of us journalists at Gaydon recently."

"... the Vantage is "much more dedicated to purist performance, a scalpel," Reichman said.

As to how the Vantage will look, he says it'll have similar proportions to James Bond's limited-run DB10.

The grille won't be entirely in "shadow" as it is on the DB10, but it won't be far off. "You'll probably have to search more for the grille on a Vantage than you do for the DB11," he said. The DB11 face is "much prouder" he added.

As to how it drives, we're told that our Vantage proxy buyer will "accept a little more of a harsh sound, a bit more feedback of the engine and feedback from the gearbox, because it's about driving".

So what do you guys think? Did the Vantage come out sharp as a scalpel? Did they eliminate the possibility of customers cross shopping the DB11 vs Vantage?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ozzir
Wow. Its amazing how many of you owners actually dislike this car too. This may be a total fail on Astons part. I wonder if the head honchos are sitting around a table right now going WTF did we do? There are barely any positive reviews on this car...
The hating part really is a fear of change. This happens with every marquee on every forum. The online community is still a small percentage. We like to think we are the majority of the AM owners but we are not.

24 hours later, I look at the new vantage again and I actually like the car.

I look forward to driving one and perhaps owning one. I feel that the missing lower lip can easily be rectified with an add-on piece so that we get to see the familiar facia again. Even the exhaust tips can be replaced to better fit in with the rest of the rear apron.

The ONE hurdle I need to overcome is the turbo engine and its underwhelming exhaust note.

I speculate maybe 2 to 3 years down the road, there will be a one-off V12 NA version. That will be quite sweet.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
yeah older wealthier people hate change (aka the ones that could afford this thing new)
younger people seem to like the car quite a bit if evidenced by youtube comments and online places like jalopnik and reddit

Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sonies
yeah older wealthier people hate change (aka the ones that could afford this thing new)
younger people seem to like the car quite a bit if evidenced by youtube comments and online places like jalopnik and reddit
This seems to be my take away as well. While I wouldn't yet throw myself in the old camp (At 41 maybe I'm lying to myself in that respect, but I digress) but the comments in the + column seem to be from mostly folks that aren't AM owners or prospective buyers. But as stated a couple posts up, after the initial shock of WTF were they thinking, some aspects look less garish upon 5th, 6th, 7th viewings. But really, need to see it in person. Even my beloved V8Vs I feel needs to be seen in person to appreciate the proportions. Pics don't do it justice.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like I am in the minority on this car. Looks spot on as a current interpretation of AM's DNA. Has DB10, DB11 and Zagato styling touches. If I were looking to spend 150k on a NEW dedicated sports car, it would be that.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I too am not a fan of the front grille, the side and rear could grow on me. Interior looks ok from the pics, I will need to see it in person in a few weeks at our local dealer. Apparently someone out there loves it as they have sold the entire first years production...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/aston...160000524.html

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.