Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Putting VAP Tune back to stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Putting VAP Tune back to stock?

I'm trying to put the original file back to my car.

I connected the VTech tool to laptop, it updated software on computer and firmware, let it do all this as it took some time.

I then "upload data" selecting my original file that I had sent to VAP. In my case, this is a file named V8V2007stock.usr

Then when I connect to the OBDII, ignition on, and select "Tuning" on the device I get a message that says "Tuning file empty. ECU Write denied".

The file does appear to be writing to the device, I can redownload it to a differently named flle and the byte counts match (401K in my case)

Anyone got pointers for me?

(I emailed tuning@velocityap.com, I'm just trying to get an answer before morning if possible if I'm doing something obviously wrong)

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Could the file be corrupt? If that a file type that can be viewed in notepad?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 AM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
It turns out I was being too literal. I was trying to upload, or put back the actual original file into the programmer that I had sent to VAP. (Pre-tuning)

Instead, the MOD file they sent back to me has both the tune and the original. So, I just put back the MOD file onto the device and in the menu on the programmer selected "Original" rather than my tune. That worked!

Thanks VAP for awesome, amazingly fast support as always!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:26 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Are your selling it or just the biannual smog check?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Installing a new AMR twin plate clutch. Just being safe since it's going to the dealer, in case they flash the ECU for any reason.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Even if you put it back to stock, they know when you updated the ECU. So I would not bother to change it back to stock.
Think of it as a file on your computer.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM
The reason I put it back to stock is that the VAP instructions strongly recommend to put the original file back before dealer visits, as dealer updates can render the programmer useless. (I assume because of the fact it "locks" to a specific car or something) Also some scary sounding stuff about locking the ECU, requiring a complete ECU replacement.

On a side note, it's interesting driving back as stock again and feeling the differences. Can wait to see how the car performs with the new clutch.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:58 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Did you need to go back to your computer? All the tunes that I have, stock and modified are in the programmer.

I try not to use the dealer but any time I would go in for a dealer service, I'd go back to stock so that if they do happen to reprogram, I'm not locked out of remapping.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM
I did go back to the computer, but only because I mis-understood what "flashing the original file meant". I interpreted that as uploading the original file I sent to VAP into the programmer, not simply using the original file that was in the programmer along with the MOD. (I didn't realize the original was in the programmer).

Once I understood that, I re-uploaded the tune/MOD that VAP sent me, selected "Original" in the options, and everything was perfect then.

Yes, went through all this for the same reason - ensuring that I don't get locked out if the dealer does something.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You would be fine, they wouldn't re-flash it to stock just cause its in for a visit. Maybe if you had a runability problem. If they know you have it doesn't matter it's outta warranty.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You would be fine, they wouldn't re-flash it to stock just cause its in for a visit. Maybe if you had a runability problem. If they know you have it doesn't matter it's outta warranty.
With the AMR clutch specifically, they may adjust idle with a flash. I'm not sure.

In general, if the car is at the dealer, they note that there needs to be an updated for whatever reason, I would want to be able to just have them do it instead of either going over there and resetting or making another trip after resetting.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ran into any emission problems with the tune in place? The last time I went in for emissions I didn’t have the tune but they only plugged it in and didn’t want to drive it on the rollers. Ok by me but don’t know if that will happen every time.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dustan
Has anyone ran into any emission problems with the tune in place? The last time I went in for emissions I didn’t have the tune but they only plugged it in and didn’t want to drive it on the rollers. Ok by me but don’t know if that will happen every time.
If you go in, they won't put it on the rollers. If you drive by a testing van, you don't even have to go in. If you do go on the rollers, you will probably pass but even if you don't you get a second test for free. You can just turn back the tune and go back if you fail, but you won't.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:11 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ab_aston
The reason I put it back to stock is that the VAP instructions strongly recommend to put the original file back before dealer visits, as dealer updates can render the programmer useless. (I assume because of the fact it "locks" to a specific car or something) Also some scary sounding stuff about locking the ECU, requiring a complete ECU replacement.

On a side note, it's interesting driving back as stock again and feeling the differences. Can wait to see how the car performs with the new clutch.
Thanks, good to know.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randyb
Even if you put it back to stock, they know when you updated the ECU. So I would not bother to change it back to stock.
Think of it as a file on your computer.
It's 100% critical that anyone with our tune flashes it back to stock. Not because of them knowing whether it was tuned or not, but because you don't want to end up losing money!

The way the programmers work is that they are married to the vehicle. They can only be used on one vehicle at a time. When the last operation performed was to flash the vehicle back to the original file, you can still connect the VTech to your computer, erase the device and start again.

If the dealer updates the software you'll need to erase, read the new software version and send to us for the tune to be updated. If you DON'T flash back to stock, and the software is updated, then the VTech will not allow you to flash the MOD file onto the car (because the software versions don't match), and because the last thing you did was to put a tune on the car, it also won't allow you to Erase the VTech either.

At which point your VTech is now a useless paperweight, and you have to buy another one from us at cost ($250 + Shipping.)

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com