Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB11 What were they thinking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
DB11 What were they thinking?

I finally got a close up look at the DB 11 at the Aston dealer.
Generally impressed, even though I am not thoroughly sold on the rear design.
As I was leaving I noticed the windshield. There was an appendage sticking off to one side that was obviously part of the forward sensor system.
It looked ridiculous. Must have been a mistake, yet there it was. (Blue arrow pictures below)
After years of design work on the DB11 this is the best Aston could do?

In looking at the Jaguar F Pace (parked close by) I could not help but notice how the Jaguar design team were able to come up with a far more pleasing solution. (Last two pictures)

Attached Images     
Old 05-10-2018, 09:06 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
That thing looks huge, at least in your shots. Funny how I've never noticed it on any of the video reviews or press pics, but then again, they don't tend to pick up that angle. Sure looks like an eyesore!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I never noticed it either. The 11 is a big car and I miss the upward sweep to the tail, and I really don't like that airblade that pops up at speed, it looks horrible.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 AM
Logannz is on a distinguished road
Thats really awful! I don’t know much about Aston’s design department, but it feels like they have lost some talent that would never have let this kind of thing pass.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
“It doesn't cost any more to make something pretty.” — Jaguar Cars founder Sir William Lyons on the design philosophy of his firm.

Sad but that sensor placement is comensurate with the car design, IMHO. Imagine what things look like we can
not see...

Last edited by oo7; 05-11-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
From inside the driver's position I think they put it there to hide behind the rear view mirror

Never noticed it before, but its there in pictures I have taken of other DB11's

Agree it looks quite horrid but people seem to want these electronic doodads (front/rear cameras, nav & other crap that will date rapidly)

Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Light and rain sensor add on, courtesy of Daimler. Agreed that it appears out of place when pointed out. Most people aren't aware of it.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sonies
From inside the driver's position I think they put it there to hide behind the rear view mirror

Never noticed it before, but its there in pictures I have taken of other DB11's

Agree it looks quite horrid but people seem to want these electronic doodads (front/rear cameras, nav & other crap that will date rapidly)
People wanting these doodadsb have nothing to do with it. These doodads are on other high end cars and they don’t look stupid. If Jaguar ( and other brands) can come up with solid solutions for these forward sensors it begs the question, why can’t Aston?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by embdenb
People wanting these doodadsb have nothing to do with it. These doodads are on other high end cars and they don’t look stupid. If Jaguar ( and other brands) can come up with solid solutions for these forward sensors it begs the question, why can’t Aston?
honestly other than being symmetrical, the Jag solution is just as unsightly from the exterior

Old 05-11-2018, 11:48 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by embdenb
Different parts bin...

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
It doesn't look nearly as bad as my white toll pass stuck on the windshield