Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

storing a v8 vantage over winter without access to a trickle charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:24 AM
buckarooboy will become famous soon enough
storing a v8 vantage over winter without access to a trickle charger

planning to store my v8v in a heated underground garage from nov-april but do not have access to a 110v source tot maintain my trickle charger. So likely the battery will run flat. Is there a problem with this? I read somewhere about the ecu going off if power is ever lost and needing a dealer-effected reset. Should I just let it go and deal with it in the spring? I read somewhere that some people disconnect the neg terminal of the battery but this seems more to protect the battery rather than the cars computer system

Old 09-27-2018, 06:50 AM
JL_MPLS will become famous soon enough
I had the same issue last year. I bought a Goal Zero lithium ion battery pack with 120 v output. I plugged my trickle charger into that device every month or so. It would run the trickle charger for a few days each time and was enough to top off the battery (on a Porsche 911). This worked perfectly for me.

This is the unit I bought. https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/

I was able to get it at a significant discount through Costco.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
As some advised you, disconnect the battery. You'll be able to reconnect it in the Spring, reset the windows/seats, etc. and then restart; no trip to the dealer needed. And safer than having to jump start it. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before disconnecting it.

Alternatively, if you are loathe to disconnect the battery (access when parked, for example), then buy a high capacity 12V power pack ($100) and plug it into the boot socket connector and just leave it. When it has started to draw down, recharge it and then reconnect to the car socket. Whatever you do, don't follow the advice given about using an inverter to power the trickle charger; that's nonsensical. The power pack is already 12 VDC, so using an integral AC inverter in the power pack to convert the DC to AC, and then converting that AC back to 12 VDC in the trickle charger just wastes battery capacity in making two inefficient conversions.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:45 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
For the last few years when I store my 09 Vantage I disconnect the battery (nov-apr) and when I reconnect it a few things like mention above will need to be reset. If you have a car newer than 2011, nothing else needs to be done but if you have a car 2010 and lower (like mine) you will have to redo the misfire calibration (do a search for the instruction) not hard to do but needs to be done.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 PM
buckarooboy will become famous soon enough
thanks for he info. i never knew these types of units existed

Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I wish I knew about these 12V batteries as well

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in central VA where average winter temp is ~30 F, and have an occasional snow. Don’t intend to drive car regularly nor in snow/ice but will drive or start weekly. I have in fact had the car in the garage for about two weeks now due to driving a new car. No issues with starting or battery (and I doubt tires or other fluids are suffering). Is some of this “winter storage” stuff just hype? Agree it may be a different story in Boston, New England, etc...

Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Don't forget to put rat/mouse poison around and under the car. Mice love to nest and they a nice safe place. They also like to chew wires,

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DonRW2007
Agree it may be a different story in Boston, New England, etc...
I'm afraid to leave my car a week without a tender... The winters I have stored my car, the CTEK never let me down. Not worth the gamble IMO.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
I see no reason why you could not connect a Battery Pack Jump Starter to your battery using the charging plug in the trunk. They use lithium batteries, less then $100, and apparently last a long time. If you have access to your underground storage area, you could even recharge it periodically.

For winter storage, I would also recommend putting your car inside a complete storage bag. Argus is right about rodents wanting to find a place to nest and chew on wires. A friend with a Porsche learned this the hard and expensive way. I have used storage bags on my Aston, Porsche and E-type Jag for years. You never have to worry about rodents getting inside. They are available on-line. I also put desiccant storage bags inside to absorb any moisture over the winter.