Loud hum - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Loud hum

Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Denny 6.53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud hum

I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2

Last edited by Denny 6.53; 11-04-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 AM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Denny 6.53 View Post
I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2
Need more info. Where is it coming from, does it vary with speed or braking. BTW unlikely itís the clutch.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 AM
The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Denny 6.53 View Post
The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.
A pump in the engine compartment? Or towards the rear of the car? A mechanics stethoscope can be helpful.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM
J doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the rough
You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:51 PM
cuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by J doubleU View Post
You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.
After removing fuse #22, how to test?
I recently removed it and got emission service required message. I cleared the fault code and it came back after a week. I put the fuse back, cleared the fault codes and waiting to see if it comes again.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 PM
J doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the rough
Fuse is for the vacuum pump in the right rear of the car. Removes the power to the pump to keep it from running. Later models the fuse is a 5amp in #15 slot. you may want to check that.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM
OK ! I pulled fuse 22 and started the car. Definitely louder at idle. I am going to drive it tomorrow or Wednesday,
when the shop is closed. No hum at the moment.

Thank you, everyone !