Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Loud hum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Denny 6.53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud hum

I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2

Last edited by Denny 6.53; 11-04-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:29 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Denny 6.53
I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2
Need more info. Where is it coming from, does it vary with speed or braking. BTW unlikely it’s the clutch.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:39 AM
The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Denny 6.53
The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.
A pump in the engine compartment? Or towards the rear of the car? A mechanics stethoscope can be helpful.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:29 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.
After removing fuse #22, how to test?
I recently removed it and got emission service required message. I cleared the fault code and it came back after a week. I put the fuse back, cleared the fault codes and waiting to see if it comes again.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Fuse is for the vacuum pump in the right rear of the car. Removes the power to the pump to keep it from running. Later models the fuse is a 5amp in #15 slot. you may want to check that.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:59 PM
OK ! I pulled fuse 22 and started the car. Definitely louder at idle. I am going to drive it tomorrow or Wednesday,
when the shop is closed. No hum at the moment.

Thank you, everyone !

Old 01-10-2021, 06:17 AM
thisistcab7 is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the final verdict on this? I am having the same issue, removed fuse 15/22 and the sound still is there on startup

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Vantage Buzz mp3.mp3 (261.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 08:45 AM
No verdict. Life was a lot busier at the time. Since then, I have retired and now I am busier than ever.
Now that you remind me, I will get the car up on the rack before spring and see if I can find the vacuum line.