Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Strange noise, ASM from Reverse to 1st

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Strange noise, ASM from Reverse to 1st

is it just me or do you guys notice that sometimes when going from Reverse to 1st you hear that click and feel that vibration from the gear box. it's happened a few times since i've had the car for the past year. it's almost the same feeling you get when driving an Automatic and you get that sometimes too when going from Reverse to Drive and the gearbox does that BAM! kind of Jerk with noise.

Last edited by howzz1854; 04-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by howzz1854
is it just me or do you guys notice that sometimes when going from Reverse to 1st you hear that click and feel that vibration from the gear box. it's happened a few times since i've had the car for the past year. it's almost the same feeling you get when driving an Automatic and you get that sometimes too when going from Reverse to Drive and the gearbox does that BAM! kind of Jerk with noise.
I get some drivetrain noise from my 2009 ASM. I just had clutch changed 1500 miles ago and no change. I don't think it's much to worry about. At least I don't worry about it

Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
is it like the clunk you get when putting it in first gear?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by sonies
is it like the clunk you get when putting it in first gear?
YES! I guess you could describe it as a clunk. Yeah probably clunk is more like it than click. But you can feel the jerk too tho. Just what is that? When it does it I just imagine maybe the gear latching onto each other and the teeth sliding into place.

Last edited by howzz1854; 04-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:57 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
When it stops making the noise, that's when you worry.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
When it stops making the noise, that's when you worry.
LOL... funny.

i swear this car is so sentimental and organic, i get so nervous and worked up sometimes. other than the electrical gremlins that we all experience from time to time, you definitely hear all kinds of sound from the drivetrain. you feel the gear shift, and sometimes hear it, and hear some kind of click when changing from Neutral to 1st, and from reverse to 1st you sometimes get this clunk with a jerk. and if you're hovering around 5mph, which is what i call it the chuckwagon zone, sometimes the clutch slams with a kick when you step on it. sometimes i feel like i am driving a flint stone rocket!. coming from a long time of automatic and dual clutch, where everything was smooth and quiet, this is definitely a bit nerve wrecking for me sometimes.

but i do have to say, the twin plate clutch is much lighter and and faster as well. still don't get why Aston dropped the ball on going with the single plate. what a shame and disgrace.