Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

M3 vs. S5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 PM
dlinoc is on a distinguished road
M3 vs. S5

Obviously this is an Audi forum, but those who bought an S5, did you consider an M3? What was your reason for selecting the S5?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by dlinoc
Obviously this is an Audi forum, but those who bought an S5, did you consider an M3? What was your reason for selecting the S5?
I own a 2011 S5 Coupe. Flirted with the M3, but S5 was more pratical.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 AM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
I was going to purchase a 2011 M3 via their dip/mil sales program they offer but ended up going with an 09 S5 instead because it was easier to unload my old B7A4.

All in all, I was always a huge fan of the service I received at Niello Audi in Sacramento, so I kind of expected that to be the norm. Apparently I was completely mistaken and in dealing with Audi of Tyson's Corner I feel that giving myself a lobotomy would be a more pleasant experience.

The current M3 is a phenomenal ride, but living in the DC/NOVA area where we do get snowed in regularly, I feel much more comfortable having quattro.

I also have to say that I think the S5 is a gorgeous car, inside and out, whereas the M3 is a little bland on design. In the end the M3 will clearly outperform the S5, but I'm not at the track every weekend to make full use of those capabilities and as a DD the S5 is incredibly hard to beat.

Again, all my personal opinion and not in the least bit a knock on the M3, which is an amazing car in its own right.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
The S5 is a real world everyday car that is sexy, fast, luxurious, but is a little out of its element on a track. Not that you can't, you will just soon discover how "out of the element" the S5 is once pushed.

The M3 is a natural on the track, not as sexy, definitely not as luxurious, a bit dated (but it is surely tried & true). It is also capable in the winter when shoe'd correctly. M3 is also a great daily driver.

Performance-wise the M3 will be superior to the S5 in about every degree. S5 is better compared to 335 Coupe.

M3 better compared to RS5 and that hasn't even worked out well in Audi's favor.

The S5 is a smart choice for folks who know who they are.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
DOn't own either but have checked out both.
S5 would be better daily.
S5 more luxurious.
S5 has more room and comfort.
S5 is not seen everywhere (at least not where I live...everyone love bimmers in south fl).
M3 rear wheel drive which I prefer. You can put some wide wheels on the rear.

Both cool cars but since I wouldn't be taking either to the track, S5 would win for me.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
e90steve is on a distinguished road
Can't go wrong with either.

M3 has a little bit more name recognition from the masses. Most people have no idea what an s5 is.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by e90steve
Can't go wrong with either.

M3 has a little bit more name recognition from the masses. Most people have no idea what an s5 is.
Thats one thing I like about the S5. Not many people know about it and you don't see much of them. When they do see it, they do a double take and wonder "that's a beautiful car, what car is that".

Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
The M3 is in a totally different league of cars. The RS5 is is true competitor and even that cant keep up. M3 FTW

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 AM
SKNKWRX has a spectacular aura aboutSKNKWRX has a spectacular aura aboutSKNKWRX has a spectacular aura about
Other than the fact that they both are both V8 coupes I cant really see them being direct competitors. The S5 is too much heavy luxury and the M3 is boring design wise and blatantly over priced. For the money I wasnt impressed with either enough to consider them.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
I forgot to add go drive em both and the winner will speak for itself

Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 AM
invncble is on a distinguished road
I had this delima, drove both, and this is why I chose the S5:

Interior: When you spend most of your time, the S5 interior is much better then the M3 imo. For me, that means a lot. It just felt better, things were better laid out, and I felt comfortable.

Exterior: The S5 turns heads and sparks more conversation then I think the M3 ever would. People see the car and the just fall in love with the lines of it. The LED's look aggressive and really catch peoples eyes.

All Wheel Drive: This was not necessary a must have, however, here in NC we are not really prepared to deal with inclement weather. We don't get it a lot, but when we do, it can really shut things down. Real wheel drive would probably mean I would be stuck in the house which is no fun.

Performance: The M3 really outshines the S5 in this aspect. However, since I am not drag racing from light to light or drifting around every corner it didn't really bother me at all.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i went the other way...considered an s5 but went with an m3. here is my take fwiw...

i agree with the poster above about the interior. the m3 inside is nice, but quite frankly all of the high end audis are in a world of their own in terms of interior appearance. i might give the nod to the m3 seats but that would be about it. win for the s5.

exterior--both are gorgeous cars imo, two of the most attractive 'regular' cars made. i still open the garage to look at the m3 on occaison, and if i had an s5 in there i imagine it would be the same. a lot more 3 series coupes around than a5/s5 so 'exclusivity' goes to the audi..but then again there aren't many m3's around. this one i'd have to call a tossup.

performance and handling--huge advantage for the m3, but this is what you would expect.

price--the m3 is a lot more expensive, although in the used market (i bought mine slightly used) the difference falls as the m3 loses initial value quicker.

for me there has always been one deal breaker which kept me from buying an s5...and that is the lack of a real sunroof. i know many people scoff at this notion, but i will only buy a car with an opening roof, and think that audi missed the mark on their big coupes by having a roof that only vents open. i only get one nice car every several years (last was an 01 e39 m5), and i don't see compromising on a feature that i use almost every time i'm in the car..

at the end of the day these are both amazing and beautiful cars and you really can't go wrong with either. the m3 is edgier and faster in every way (and dct is fantastic imo) but the s5 is no slouch and is more luxurious...and has awd if that is important to you.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
I went with the S4 due to many of these same ideals. Interior is gorgeous, has great punch, and quattro for my rough winters.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM
b45h1r is on a distinguished road
not a fair fight

The M3's natural Audi competitor is the RS5.

S5 and 335i

or

M3 and RS5

That said. You can't get an RS5 now in the states, and no one knows when you will be able to. The RS5 got pummeled in the euro press for not being the firebreather everyone expected. Then it got a terrible (unfair) review on Top Gear, but that's what they do.

If you care about track times, look them up and you'll find they are exactly split. Any supercurvy course with limited straights is won by the M3. Any slightly longer course with a long straight or big elevation changes is won by the RS5. So the are EQUAL perfomers by the numbers.

Everyone says the M3 feels better to drive. They are all probably correct.

RS5 costs way more, but is (my opinion) much better looking.

Anyway your question was S5 vs M3. I'd go m3 if these were my two choices. BUt if I could get my hands on an RS5......

Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by b45h1r
The M3's natural Audi competitor is the RS5.

S5 and 335i

or

M3 and RS5

That said. You can't get an RS5 now in the states, and no one knows when you will be able to. The RS5 got pummeled in the euro press for not being the firebreather everyone expected. Then it got a terrible (unfair) review on Top Gear, but that's what they do.

If you care about track times, look them up and you'll find they are exactly split. Any supercurvy course with limited straights is won by the M3. Any slightly longer course with a long straight or big elevation changes is won by the RS5. So the are EQUAL perfomers by the numbers.

Everyone says the M3 feels better to drive. They are all probably correct.

RS5 costs way more, but is (my opinion) much better looking.

Anyway your question was S5 vs M3. I'd go m3 if these were my two choices. BUt if I could get my hands on an RS5......
well said, some might say the M3 feels faster than the RS5 but the laptimes say neither of them has a huge advantage in reality.
The M3 is lighter, the RS5 has more power, the M3 is easier through corners, the RS5 has more traction.

both great cars, but i would never fall in love with a M3!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 vs. S5