Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Best tire for CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Damm Doc. You're making me sweat and we are not even bromancing I gotta really start pushing her harder on those twisting roads. I don't have that much faith in her yet. She proves me wrong everyday though

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 09-20-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Little at a time Wedgy.

On a well known curve of 20-30mph with wide clear shoulders just turn her in and see how she sticks. Don't be always braking like you have to do in the truck. I've put on 11K in the last year on this car and am learning what it can do and respect that it is not an F430.

Going on to a clear four lane turn left trying to hold in the near lane leaving the oust side lane to drift if needed. See you don't need the far lane for correction .

Oh one final comment. Dont' crash.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 09-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Little at a time Wedgy.

On a well known curve of 20-30mph with wide clear shoulders just turn her in and see how she sticks. Don't be always braking like you have to do in the truck. I've put on 11K in the last year on this car and am learning what it can do and respect that it is not an F430.

Going on to a clear four lane turn left trying to hold in the near lane leaving the oust side lane to drift if needed. See you don't need the far lane for correction .

Oh one final comment. Dont' crash.
I will try Doc. My fear is that she is not as nimble on those corners because of her weight. I fear that I would over push around those corners and drift. But I just got to just really test her out. I only bought her as a nice Sunday driver, but when I actually starting looking into her performance, she amazed everyday. That's why I wanted a faster version then stock, and now i am in too deep. Big girls can run really fast too Doc.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
As with any motor vehicle we have to know she holds, or not. I never push unless there is room for drift. I agree though the laws of physics are firm and if the girl's to fat she won't make a ballerina.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
As with any motor vehicle we have to know she holds, or not. I never push unless there is room for drift. I agree though the laws of physics are firm and if the girl's to fat she won't make a ballerina.
I have never ran her hard yet with 20's on. I only used the stock 19s and a few 22s which really sucks when it comes to performance. How are those 20s Doc? Does she perform on those babies?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
I have never ran her hard yet with 20's on. I only used the stock 19s and a few 22s which really sucks when it comes to performance. How are those 20s Doc? Does she perform on those babies?
I think the car does great on 20s and that is all I have ever had. For sporting cornering performance I bet there is not much difference with 19'. Now the 22s I would not say that. I like more rubber for ride compliance when I am not sport driving.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I think the car does great on 20s and that is all I have ever had. For sporting cornering performance I bet there is not much difference with 19'. Now the 22s I would not say that. I like more rubber for ride compliance when I am not sport driving.
The 19s felt kinda balloonish and kinda floaty. The new Speed and SS models now run on 21s. I wonder if Bentley decided to have the look or if they actually ran through the test and found out that size is perfect for appeal and performance.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
The 19s felt kinda balloonish and kinda floaty. The new Speed and SS models now run on 21s. I wonder if Bentley decided to have the look or if they actually ran through the test and found out that size is perfect for appeal and performance.
I would like to know the answer to that. It is some about compromise for me. I want a good ride and some performance. I see that these summer ultra high performance tires are not supposed to be run at near freezing temperatures. I can understand no go in snow but what is the issue of dry and cold??

Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
... what is the issue of dry and cold??
Chemical compound of the rubber plus the natural occurrence of rubber drying out over time. This is why after 5 to 7 years a tire is best replaced even if it looks new and/or has tread remaining.

Summer high performance tires tread does not to work it's best when cold as the rubber gets 'hard'. Winter tires tend to use a softer rubber compound and so wear faster in summer heat yet work well and have good tread wear in cold temps.

BTW: When storing winter / summer tires, i wrap each in a sealed plastic bag.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 10-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks Steven i can understand that. I doubt I will ever get years on a tire in this car so time will not be the factor for me. I wonder about driving in upper 20's to low 30's on a summer tire. Will I have problems?

We don't get enough winter weather here to justify two sets of tires and wheels. I'd just use another vehicle.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
i'd be careful when those summer tires are very cold, and ESPECIALLY when it is wet too. Walled a Ferrari with Mich Pilot PS2 rubber on her that way at the track....

Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't need to tree a Bentley.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
For a slightly more compliant ride and to partially fix the VW designed 7% speedo error, I am thinking of putting 275/45/19 on my Continental GT .
Anyone else done this ????

Old 10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Merdav will become famous soon enough
I just put the Bridgestone Potenzas on my FS last week, dont have my own long term review but Tire Rack rated them by far the best.

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
For a car that heavy I would do Pilot Sport AS+. They stay stable under bigger, higher HP cars and don't wander much. Pirelli P-Zero Nero AS is a close second for the same reasons. It's dry traction is not quite up to the Michelin, but still pretty good. Do not be tempted to buy Continental DWS for this car. It's too heavy and you'll wear right through them.

Call me if I can help or you can order here!
The continental DW's are my favourite tyre. I don't understand why they would be no good on my BCGT as they have a higher uqts number than the pirellis and the michellins so should last longer.
Am I missing something ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best tire for CGT