Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Best tire for CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I wimped out and ordered the OEM tires, Zero Rosso (B). At least I know what am getting. Bentley and Perrelli worked to get the compound and tire for the car so I have confidence in them.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I wimped out and ordered the OEM tires, Zero Rosso (B). At least I know what am getting. Bentley and Perrelli worked to get the compound and tire for the car so I have confidence in them.
And that's the key, confidence.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I was concerned that I would spend money that I regretted experimenting on tires that i hated. I look at it this way i have 20K miles to consider the matter for the next set.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
I'm different. I am not happy to experiment with louder or droaning exhausts, or different wheels that may or may not destroy the handling and dynamics of the Bentley.
But more than ok to not use a 10 year old tire that Tireack reviews are quite damming of.
My BCGT has had the Zero Rosso's on them since new - about 3 sets the previous owner told me (and still has 4 fairly worn out ones on it now), and whilst there is certainly nothing wrong with them, I am sure there are better tires out there.
I have had great success on my E class Merc with the Continental DW tire (not DWS) that substantial improved the handling and ride over the original Bridgestones that were on it. I also added 5 to the profile (from a 45 to a 50) that really didn't detract from the handling, but substantially increased comfort over bridge joins etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
JJV104 is on a distinguished road
So Damon, what's wrong with the P Zero Rossos?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
My son, an A Grade technician and now a senior exec at Toyota, was once responsible for setting up the Lexus brand in our country. He told me how rigorously all high-end manufacturers test their tire options, and how each model is set up precisely for that tire. Some companies spend tens of millions a year in exacting R&D. We don't know a fraction of what they do.

But most folk think they can come along and make a decision from a few amateur reviews on Tire Shoppe based on mileage, what the wife thinks and cornering speed in the wet. Nope!

Just like the correct tire pressures, it is all regulated to the inth degree, based on a massive fund of technical knowledge far beyond us mortals.

You have chosen correctly Doc, and kudos to you! I will pass on your name to my son who will no doubt enter you in a special register, and in time you'll get free tire valve caps for life!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Well that is totally weird ( but from the other side of the ditch, quite expected).

I have forwarded you theory to VAG as they ship the MK6 GTI with either Hankook, Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin tyres.

Maybe they didn't get the memo ???

Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I must admit the title of my thread is fatally flawed. There may be no such tire. The oem tires that I bought are developed for the car as Ken pointed out and they are designed to run at 200mph and corner aggressively at the limits of the cars potential and I do drive up to 150 and squeal tires quite a bit. I need tires that will hold me and will accept to price to pay for that.

However if you never drive like that you may think it better to buy a smoother more quiet tire. I believe there is no one best tire for the car. Thank you all for responding but I apologize for asking a poor question.

Now lets decide what is the best car?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Digger11
I have forwarded you theory to VAG as they ship the MK6 GTI with either Hankook, Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin tyres.

Maybe they didn't get the memo ???
You're talking about a Golf? I'm referencing high end cars.

Last edited by kensilver; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by kensilver
You're talking about a Golf? I'm referencing high end cars.
R's and GTI's are quite high performance.

Anyway, I have ordered some Continental DWS 275/45/19 for under $1,000 and if you're nice I'll report back on how they go.
Some of the boys on the Cayenne forum have used these with no problem, and I realise the Bentley is more of a beast, but there are some similarities with all wheel drive and weight and performance.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by Digger11
R's and GTI's are quite high performance.

Anyway, I have ordered some Continental DWS 275/45/19 for under $1,000 and if you're nice I'll report back on how they go.
Some of the boys on the Cayenne forum have used these with no problem, and I realise the Bentley is more of a beast, but there are some similarities with all wheel drive and weight and performance.
Please do report back how those Continentals work out. You have to remember, our toys are weighing in at 5100 to 5500 lbs. Huge, huge different compared to what's engineered for an R or GTI. I love performance, I am currently running tests on some tires and wheels now. By testing, I mean we drive the crap out of those wheels and tires. Going to have to settle for 20 inch super light monoblock type of aluminum wheels. Less unsprung mass. Plus very reliable as compared to a two or three piece. As for tires, Pirellis, Nittos, Michellin and BF Goodrich has never failed me yet.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 10-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I am getting the tires put on today.

Digger we are all nice on the Bentley forum, gents for sure. We may prefer different tires but respect is common.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
The good Doctor is correct. I have 20" Yokohamas on my 05 and they are far to noisey for my taste. I don't plan on running the car on the track. I do that with my race car.

For the road I want a quieter tire. I'm very tired of listening to the tires slap on the tar strips or joints. New Michelins from Tire Rack will be at the dealer today for mounting.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by JJV104
The good Doctor is correct. I have 20" Yokohamas on my 05 and they are far to noisey for my taste. I don't plan on running the car on the track. I do that with my race car.

For the road I want a quieter tire. I'm very tired of listening to the tires slap on the tar strips or joints. New Michelins from Tire Rack will be at the dealer today for mounting.
My nephews are sponsored by Yokohamas and they swear by them. Some tires are quite noisy on the roads. It's what a person wants for his vehicle and how he likes to drive. That's whats great about having choices, we get to try out different technology. Lord knows I love tires and wheels and they really can be a drain out of our pockets.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I know Yokohama makes excellent tires, but no manufacturer has the best tire for every application. Michelin does well with touring tires. For the track I run Pireilli or Continental racing slicks. Not a fan of Hoosiers. Just what works for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best tire for CGT