Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Best tire for CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I think he just dares to tear stuff up.

Well Wedgeduck I may not have the deep pockets to keep up with ya but I'd love to and I respect your *****-out approach to bentley ownership.

I can hear Ken just shaking his head and groaning.
With excitement!!! I won a slalom a couple years back in a Cayman S against a dozen Porsche owners and some track racing guys. I had never driven it before but swung that sucker round like you do with your Bent.

So I do like speed and thrills, but somehow it don't seem right in the gentleman's cruiser

Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kensilver
With excitement!!! I won a slalom a couple years back in a Cayman S against a dozen Porsche owners and some track racing guys. I had never driven it before but swung that sucker round like you do with your Bent.

So I do like speed and thrills, but somehow it don't seem right in the gentleman's cruiser
Darn you for being so..........can't find the words. I will confess that driving a Bentley like I do is ungentleman-like. I keep treating like a sportscar and forgetting that it is GT.

The new tires are fine but I still have a steering wheel shake around 60-70mph, much more so with cold tires. I had hoped that would have been corrected with the new rubber but it is not. I was told that these tires do need warming up but am concerned that there is another reason for vibration at the wheel.???

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kensilver

Ken, those Caymen S and Turbo are really fun vehicles. My friends from Asuka Designs have this full carbon fiber one off widebody that he was supposed race. Due to family and his multiple business ventures, he never had the time. The vehicle was featured at SEMA 2009. A lot of designs were copied from this vehicle by a major manuafacture and is featured on their 2013 models. and Doc, I think you might want to look into that wheel vibration. I switched out 3 brand of tires, all 22s and my steering wheels do not vibrate. Maybe, links, sway bars or rack and pinion? You do drive her on the rough side.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The car had the vibration when i bought it. It does improve as much as 90% after I drive it a bit. The car has hit a curb with the previous owner as one of the wheels has chrome damage. I have had it looked at and no one has diagnosed the problem properly. I wonder if I have a wheel that is the problem? Howe would it improve with warm tires??? I may have a gremlin or need a priest.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
The car had the vibration when i bought it. It does improve as much as 90% after I drive it a bit. The car has hit a curb with the previous owner as one of the wheels has chrome damage. I have had it looked at and no one has diagnosed the problem properly. I wonder if I have a wheel that is the problem? Howe would it improve with warm tires??? I may have a gremlin or need a priest.
no Gremlins Doc! It's the wheel. It might have gotten bent or cracked and they repaired it. If he hit the curb hard enough possibly links. You just had new tires put on, so I believed they were all balanced and realigned. Check the old tires, the one that has that strange tire wear is probably the culprit.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
JJV104 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck

no Gremlins Doc! It's the wheel. It might have gotten bent or cracked and they repaired it. If he hit the curb hard enough possibly links. You just had new tires put on, so I believed they were all balanced and realigned. Check the old tires, the one that has that strange tire wear is probably the culprit.

Seconded. All tires flat spot a bit from sitting, but running them quickly rounds them up. The new tire compounds are not like the old days.

You probably have 2 separate issues here. The tires temporarily out of balance and the bad wheel with a permanent problem. Although tire balancing macines are very sophisticated these days, they don't spin the tires near fast enough for a perfect balance. High speed rotating machinery is typically balanced at full speed. For tires this would not be cost effective. Some shops can balance tires on the car so the discs are also balanced but they are few and far between. To add one more issue, the tires may rotate on the wheel under agressive driving. The front tires move backwards from braking and the rear tires move forward from acceleration. Happens on race cars all the time. Put a mark on the tire next to the valve stem and see if this is an issue. If it is, your "spirited" driving may be part of the problem.

Don't give up on the spirited driving. If a bent wheel is not the problem (I suspect it is) you might have to live with the vibration.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
My old local mechanic was just in the office and after hearing all the history he agrees with you guys that it's a wheel. He offered to lift the car and spin them to see if we could discern which one it is.

I'd rather accept vibration than drive like an ole lady.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I picked up the car yesterday from the dealer who installed my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus XL and I can confirm that the noise, especially crack/tar slap, is far better than it was with the stock Yokos. There is still a rumble on grooved pavement but I don't think any tire will not have that issue. Handling seems better but I didn't drive it enough to confirm that.

Very happy with my choice. Bought them from the Tire Rack for $299 ea.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Very happy with my choice.
That makes them the best tire for the GT, for you.

My road noise is better just because they are new tires, at least for now.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Agreed. What's important to me may not be as important to others. In addition to quiet tires I also wanted good wet traction and was willing to give up some dry traction to get it. I live in Wisconsin and snow can be an issue which is another reason I went with all season tires. Works for me.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Absolutely brother. My car will not be out in the snow but I'll push her hard in the summer. Love to stop for a soda break and smell the wasted money and hot tires.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
And the excursions to 100 mph+ put such a smile on my face the mileage isn't an issue. How lucky we are!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=JJV104;3680566]And the excursions to 100 mph+ put such a smile on my face the mileage isn't an issue. How lucky we are![/QUOTESSuper luckyJust drove mines to SEMA 2012 for the show and drove her back home.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM
How was SEMA? I went 2 years ago and want to go back.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by JJV104
How was SEMA? I went 2 years ago and want to go back.
Pretty fun. 6 days was a lot of Vegas for my taste. Some really nice products and cars. Great parties. weather was perfect. Ran some Nitto Invos on 22s all the way there and back. Not bad at all. Need some of those in 20s so I can really run them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best tire for CGT