Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

06 GT ****ty front brake discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
montyfd is on a distinguished road
06 GT ****ty front brake discs

Not sure if somebody else is "lucky" to make the same experience, but when braking hard from speeds over 300 km/h to about 100 once, the front discs seem to get damaged every time. The steering wheel shakes terrible and after that 1 time, the discs are not balanced any more. Only solution if new discs.
I know the car is heavy and the speed extreme, but i really was expecting better brakes.

Anyone know if there is another option than factory that will survive this a little longer? Not speaking of ceramic brakes, the price is way out of range, lol.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, you are the first to say the rotors always seem to warp after some hard use. After you do this hard braking i assume you always keep driving normally to let the brakes cool down before parking the car. Perhaps contact Eric Dahl or Martin at www.girodisc.com and see if they want to tackle offering rotors that would fit the Bentley. Another option would be to take the stock rotors and have them cryo'ed, as that might help.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I have not had the car up to that speed yet as our roads might be to hazardous at the velocity. Not to mention a possible trip jail. Having the largest front discs of any production car I would have not expected to hear of front brake issues but anything is possible.

A couple of followup questions would have to include:

Do you apply brakes as hard on the pedal as possible? Is this regular occurring, or repetitively in quick succession?

I would be concerned as you are and find out what is causing the vibrations. In the mean time I would ease off for safety's sake.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Sure the brakes coold down after that, its while "normal" driving.
A friend that i spoke with had the same issue on, he bought 3 sets of rotors and pads in 1 year, they never survived hard braking more than a few times, then the rotors were out of balance.
Had the brakes off today, the pads are like glass coated now with some cracks, so definetly a heat issue.
Not what i expected from that car .
Its not that the brakes dont work anymore, just when you brake again from high speed now, the steering wheel shakes like hell.
So i will put on new rotors and pads and see, if it happens again for me, too.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Very disturbing to hear that. Glass like coating????? Let us know if you come upon a good solution.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Not sure how to describe is. The surface is shiny and smooth now,
like it happens when brakes are totally overheated.
Probably not a very common problem as very few GTs might go such speeds frequently, but here its legal so you do it whenever you can

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I am some jealous to be able to fly as desired. The more I think of it if it were me I'd go to the motor company directly and ask if the car can really perform at those speeds?

If they say no them shame on them for advertising a car as capable of such.

If they say yes then ask them to make good on the promise.

Try to get an official statement of performance capabilities. Good luck I bet they are to wary to step into the trap.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by montyfd
Not sure if somebody else is "lucky" to make the same experience, but when braking hard from speeds over 300 km/h to about 100 once, the front discs seem to get damaged every time. The steering wheel shakes terrible and after that 1 time, the discs are not balanced any more. Only solution if new discs.
I know the car is heavy and the speed extreme, but i really was expecting better brakes.

Anyone know if there is another option than factory that will survive this a little longer? Not speaking of ceramic brakes, the price is way out of range, lol.

Mines did the exact same thing... My rotors would make a woo woo sound from very high speed braking.. when i changed pads and rotors, the rotors had hair line cracks and the pads were glazed.. I believe this occurs from the heat generated from pads when they are thin...

Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by BentleyF
Mines did the exact same thing... My rotors would make a woo woo sound from very high speed braking.. when i changed pads and rotors, the rotors had hair line cracks and the pads were glazed.. I believe this occurs from the heat generated from pads when they are thin...
You are saying thin but not completely worn out? Did the replace pads light display?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
You are saying thin but not completely worn out? Did the replace pads light display?

yes and no light displayed.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
So it looks to be the same. Mine are about 25% left and definetly no replace light.
Just ordered everything completely new from flyingspares.com

But i dont think it wont happen again when they are more thick. They are not really that much more "mass" when new that i think it would solve such a massive heat issue.