Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Parade Duty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Parade Duty?

I had a patient call me this weekend and wondered if i would give his daughter a ride in a parade in the Bentley? His wife had seen the car at the office and made comment about how her daughter would love to ride in such a car for the senior prom parade and I did give an indicator that I would do that if they really wanted. I guess it is one of those things where the dressed up girl rides on the back seat with the top down waving at the admiring crowds.

The man is really a friend that I have been hunting with in the past and I may do it for them.

Have any of you done such?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I had a patient call me this weekend and wondered if i would give his daughter a ride in a parade in the Bentley? His wife had seen the car at the office and made comment about how her daughter would love to ride in such a car for the senior prom parade and I did give an indicator that I would do that if they really wanted. I guess it is one of those things where the dressed up girl rides on the back seat with the top down waving at the admiring crowds.

The man is really a friend that I have been hunting with in the past and I may do it for them.

Have any of you done such?
You can't say no, you just can't.

A bonus might be that it could cast your and your car in a more positive light to the town gossips who view you as a self center, egotistical, showoff who is concerned with only petty things, like the loss of your ski hole.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grwisher
You can't say no, you just can't.

A bonus might be that it could cast your and your car in a more positive light to the town gossips who view you as a self center, egotistical, showoff who is concerned with only petty things, like the loss of your ski hole.
All my holes are intact.

This event is actually in another town 35 miles down the road and may not make a difference here. But I can hear it now, "there that bastard is again showing off his fancy car". I'm about over it and going to live my life for myself and not the "little people" of this town.

Side bar to this thread is my brother came to town and I gave him a ride in the car but he was a little concerned about my mountain road driving.

My brother-in-law on the other hand was more upbeat about it. He said that was the first time he has ever gotten goose bumps from riding in a car, and he was in the passenger seat at the time. First time behind the wheel he was surprised how much it took off with very little throttle application.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
I love parades. Do it Doc!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Adding my bit to this holesome piece... I was once at a large village town & country parade in UK many years back. Do you know the only event that I can recall from the hour-long procession?... the Aston Martin Volante with a couple of gals sitting on the boot/trunk, feet inside.

My first thoughts were - hope they don't dent it. Second - I WANT that car.

Every time we drive an exotic we're on show anyway. People are evaluating us, our composure, our dress, our boots (wink at the Doc here). For a few like me it raises a huge desire to have one, and for that our job is done.

Show it - some little kid will be impressed and the next Elon Musk is in the wings.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kensilver
Show it - some little kid will be impressed and the next Elon Musk is in the wings.
^^^ what he said

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by kensilver
Adding my bit to this holesome piece... I was once at a large village town & country parade in UK many years back. Do you know the only event that I can recall from the hour-long procession?... the Aston Martin Volante with a couple of gals sitting on the boot/trunk, feet inside.

My first thoughts were - hope they don't dent it. Second - I WANT that car.

Every time we drive an exotic we're on show anyway. People are evaluating us, our composure, our dress, our boots (wink at the Doc here). For a few like me it raises a huge desire to have one, and for that our job is done.

My friend just texted me and he said the girl is praying to ride in the car.

They do want to ride on that boot area you described. Hope she ain't a big girl. How would one know how sturdy that area is? I am pretty sure that if seated close to the edge of the rear seat it will hold one small female.

If she's a biggun I'll set a sofa chair in the bed of the truck.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
My friend just texted me and he said the girl is praying to ride in the car.

They do want to ride on that boot area you described. Hope she ain't a big girl. How would one know how sturdy that area is? I am pretty sure that if seated close to the edge of the rear seat it will hold one small female.

If she's a biggun I'll set a sofa chair in the bed of the truck.
Big girls need luvin too.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
Big girls need luvin too.
Yeh but they ought not ride on the body panels of a Bentley.

I should try and post a pic when it happens.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
There doesn't seem to to be any mention that the passenger sit on the trunk. It's your call anyway.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeh but they ought not ride on the body panels of a Bentley.

I should try and post a pic when it happens.
Especially the area near the soft top.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I am wondering how I might tactfully inquire about the weight of the girl???? Might be a tad embarrassing to tell a big girl she can't ride on the back of the seat cause she is to fat.

Of course I think it would be yet worse to crush the car.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
My friend just texted me and he said the girl is praying to ride in the car. They do want to ride on that boot area you described.
Beggars can't be choosers.

As I pleaded with you to give her a ride, I would also plead with you to respond to him that you are delighted to give her a ride but - the offer would not include sitting on the convertible top mechanism. You might want to check with the service department in order to give your offer some authority or to satisfy yourself that it is Ok.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Grwisher
Beggars can't be choosers.

As I pleaded with you to give her a ride, I would also plead with you to respond to him that you are delighted to give her a ride but - the offer would not include sitting on the convertible top mechanism. You might want to check with the service department in order to give your offer some authority or to satisfy yourself that it is Ok.
I will call the dealer but I can imagine that he might be pretty conservative to prevent unwanted liability.

I just called and they said if she stayed on the pillar we are good to go. When asked about a "big girl" he laughed and said that he would back me up with a 125lb limit.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 09-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I am wondering how I might tactfully inquire about the weight of the girl?
No need to worry my friend. Simply point to the bumper sticker on the Bentley. If she's fat, she knows it.

Or tell her she is throwing off the crucial centre of gravity and overall weight balance, which of course is unacceptable given the pedigree of the Bentley... naturally.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parade Duty?