Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Accessing passenger side battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Accessing passenger side battery

I was going to use the 2013 CGT-C as a donor source to jump start another vehicle. I read the OM to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I released the quarter-turn fasteners on the driver's side panel and removed it revealing the battery. I attempted to do the same on the passenger side but there are no quarter-turn fasteners present (the OM states to release them on "both" sides). I was able to lift the base of the panel up but it seems it is fastened on the upper aspect and I stopped at that point to avoid damaging anything. Anyone know how to remove that panel. Do pre 2013 models have the quarter-turn fasteners on the passenger side access panel? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Robin

Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 AM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
My 2005 does. Upper back (closest to the front of the car)

Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Vanslam...thanks for the reply. In the position you describe my car has a round, black, smooth plastic "button" which looks like a press-in fastener. It is completely different from the two quarter-turn fasteners present on the driver's side panel (although the OM describes both panels as having quarter-turn types). I tried with mild force to pull out the fastener by pulling outward on the panel as accessed from below but I was afraid of damaging something. I am taking it in for a check of the boot lid hinge bracket and the 6 week "once over" on Friday so if I can't get it sorted out by then I'll ask the pros.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
that black clip need to be pulled out and then you can wiggle the cover out.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks BT! I was guessing that it was a push-in fastener but I did not want to break anything. A quarter-turn fastener like the DS panel would be ideal....I suppose the designing engineer had some legitimate reason for not using one.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
im not sure i would use my car to jumpstart another vehicle,there is a special connector under the hood/bonnet that you can connect a special tool so power can be obtained,the main battery on your car is the easy accessible one but be careful when jumping cause they run in series with the other and have a pyro technic on .

Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Roger that. I did review the boosting instructions in the Owner's Manual prior to attempting it. Fortunately my auto enthusiast/racing buddy neighbor was bringing in his garbage (rubbish for you BT) cans when I needed the boost so he came about in his truck to save the day. That kept me from any potential fine for an out of season fireworks display!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Update....

The CGT coupe has quarter turn fasteners securing both right and left battery cover panels. On the convertible the passenger side has, as BentleyTech mentioned, a push in fastener (kinda cheesy IMO) that needs to be removed with a trim tool. This info was related to me by the Service Manager at Bentley Houston.

BTW...the service department at Post Oak Motorcars (Bentley & RR Houston) appears to be outstanding. They really cater to their customers (as they should for selling and servicing such expensive vehicles).

Robin