Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

lowing the factory settings for the air ride suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:28 PM
awchristler is on a distinguished road
lowing the factory settings for the air ride suspension

Hey guys

I am thinking about getting my auto guy to change the factory setting parameters for the air ride. I am attempting to lower my car and want to change the current sport/comfort setting by .5-1".

Has anyone encountered issues doing this? ie error lights etc

Old 10-17-2015, 08:17 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I lowered mine by .5" all around and didn't experience any problems whatsoever. It is worth noting that I lowered it using the VAS5054A computer (not the lowering links). Also, it is important to use very small increments in changing the ride height. If you try to do it all at once, the computer may not accept the new values.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:08 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I cheated and fitted lowering links. I dropped it by an inch, the same as the Supersport and I have had no problems whatsoever.
Remember that you can still raise the ride height with the centre console control for any rough ground/speed ramps if necessary.
They definitely look better that bit lower.

Les.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMS
I lowered mine by .5" all around and didn't experience any problems whatsoever. It is worth noting that I lowered it using the VAS5054A computer (not the lowering links). Also, it is important to use very small increments in changing the ride height. If you try to do it all at once, the computer may not accept the new values.
How did you go about that Peter, was it particularly difficult? Any programing dramas to worry about whilst doing it?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
How did you go about that Peter, was it particularly difficult? Any programing dramas to worry about whilst doing it?
Hi Frank,
The reason I used the computer as opposed to the lowering links is that I felt it was a much simpler process and easily reversible (not to mention: less expensive ). It is a fairly intuitive procedure. Everything is in there, the trick is finding where it is. For those of us on this side of the pond, the nomenclature is a bit daunting. The only drama was discovering that you have to work incrementally on each corner (rather than drop each corner the full amount all at once). I couldn't get the VAS 5054A computer to accept large values and thought I had screwed up. It helps to have someone watch and measure the ride height as it changes as the movement can be fairly subtle. Recognize that you will be cheating the car into thinking that your new values represent the standard ride height. The benefit is that all of your dash-controlled values are derivatives of the "standard" ride height. Also, speed-related automatic lowering values also work properly.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMS
Hi Frank,
The reason I used the computer as opposed to the lowering links is that I felt it was a much simpler process and easily reversible (not to mention: less expensive ). It is a fairly intuitive procedure. Everything is in there, the trick is finding where it is. For those of us on this side of the pond, the nomenclature is a bit daunting. The only drama was discovering that you have to work incrementally on each corner (rather than drop each corner the full amount all at once). I couldn't get the VAS 5054A computer to accept large values and thought I had screwed up. It helps to have someone watch and measure the ride height as it changes as the movement can be fairly subtle. Recognize that you will be cheating the car into thinking that your new values represent the standard ride height. The benefit is that all of your dash-controlled values are derivatives of the "standard" ride height. Also, speed-related automatic lowering values also work properly.
Excellent info Pete, I might have a try. How many inciments did it take you. for eg Do you have to do it 1mm at a time etc etc.
Frank

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM
PMS
I can't remember the exact increments but, 1mm at a time would probably work.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:10 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
can it be done using rosstech vcds?

how you are doing it thru mods in lowering links?

Old 01-23-2023, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sazam
can it be done using rosstech vcds?

how you are doing it thru mods in lowering links?
​​​​​​Hello @sazam ,
Yes, the suspension can be lowered by using the Ross-Tech VCDS, it can also be lowered by way of installing lowering links alone, or as I did, I lowered it with RT VCDS, and gave it the final touches to bring it a bit lower by installing the lowering links as pictured below, as the RT or any software can only lower the vehicle so much, as the values would be out of the allowed ranges.

You can see with my stock 19" wheels with the 275/40/R19 tires at the stock height, and then the red 20" wheels with 275/35/ZR20 tires lowered with RT, it still was a bit high for me, then the pictures with the red wheels and the lowering links installed.

STOCK 19" WHEELS, STOCK HEIGHT.

20" RED WHEELS LOWERED WITH ROSS-TECH.

20" RED WHEELS LOWERED WITH ROSS-TECH AND LOWERING LINKS

LOWERING LINKS

TIRE SIZE COMPARISON, MY TWENTIES ARE ACTUALLY A TINY BIT SMALLER THAN THE NINETEENS.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-23-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:38 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
Johnny - thank you. The bended links are for front and the stright are rear?

btw - can you give me any example web link to store with this links?

Old 01-24-2023, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@sazam ,
My responses in red.

Originally Posted by sazam
Johnny - thank you. The bended links are for front and the stright are rear?
Yes, as shown in my pictures.

btw - can you give me any example web link to store with this links?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15167236640...mis&media=COPY
Johnny