Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What is the "S" shifter position? '09 Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 PM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
What is the "S" shifter position? '09 Flying Spur

Hi all:

I have a newly acquired pre-owned 2009 Flying Spur and don't know much about it. I don't have an owners manual and a google search didn't reveal much about this, so here goes:

What does the "S" shift position do? Pictured here:

I have owned other vehicles (examples: Lexus GS and LS) with (seemingly) the same "S" shift position, but it was short for 'shift'--meaning, you had to place the shifter in "S" to move it to the side, to manually gate shift UP and DOWN.

But in the Bentley, the only way to 'manually' gate shift UP and DOWN is to place the shifter in "D" and move it to the side to shift UP and DOWN (or to use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, which works in any shift position).

In the Bentley, the "S" position is at the very bottom, and it doesn't allow for side movement to gate shift UP/DOWN. It seems to be it's own mode.

Since i don't know what this "S" mode is, I'm afraid to try to drive it in this mode. What does it do? How is it different than regular "D" mode?

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
My wife calls it the "Scary" mode. Basically, it allows the engine to rev higher before upshifting, etc. Technically, Bentley calls it "Sports" mode. If you move the shifter to the right, that engages manual (electronic assisted of course) shifting via moving the lever up/down or the paddles behind the steering wheel.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Ah so it's like pressing the "PWR" button vs "ECO" mode in other types of cars. Got it.

Is it safe to leave the car in "S" mode for an entire driving period? Or should it only be used during quick acceleration moments, etc. ?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 AM
joc44 will become famous soon enoughjoc44 will become famous soon enough
And i call it holly S"*, mode LOL

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi.

You can leave it in sport (fun) mode for as long as you want. It does hold lower gears longer though.
You will also notice a difference from a standing start in sport mode, well I do. It's as though you have gained an extra few horses under the hood. It definitely feels more responsive.

Enjoy. Les.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
I would also add that you will stop by the gas stations more often if you stay in "s" mode, I know I do.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:12 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
One thing for sure with mine, her ladyship never stops for fuel!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:37 PM
alexob53 is on a distinguished road
Increases throttle response, holds gears in higher bits of the rev range, downshifts more vigorously. To really make this car the "sportiest" it can be, leave the gearbox in "S" mode, lower the ride height, place the damper settings on the firmest position, and turn traction control off. If you usually drive in a more comfortable mode, this will most likely feel like a big change, so be careful.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the responses!!

I have spent the past few days driving in "S" mode and i can definitely feel the increase in agility. I don't notice a difference after adjusting the suspension, though.

Another question: Will turning the TRACTION CONTROL (esp?) to OFF make the car drive more aggressively? I can't tell a difference.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:32 AM
alexob53 is on a distinguished road
Disengaging traction control will not inherently set the car in a more aggressive mode, but for track driving or getting the most out of the car, it will keep the stability programs from intervening and cutting throttle response.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Like Alex said and you know, ESP is traction control and unless you really have a good feel and talent for car control I'd leave it on. Perhaps find a very larger open parking with nothing but pure tarmac, turn off ESP, and then drive and feel how the car handles during 'aggressive' maneuvers. Open parking lot covered in a few inches of snow was one of my fave times within the GT. Love car control clinics

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 PM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
S mode is hyperdrive and makes the car even more fun. But I am betting you already knew that. Actually using S the car auto parks, auto drives and finds the hottest girls in the area for you too. It's short for super special mode. Lol