Bentley Gear stick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 AM
JyB
JyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bentley Gear stick question

Hi,

I am new to this forum but had visited it in the past and find it awesome, lots of great information.

I have a Bentley Continental GTC from 2009 (purchased second hand) which is doing fine, a few tweaks here and there needed from time to time ...

My first question is about the gear stick. As you can see in the image below, the black protection ribbon has detached itself from the moving mechanism, how to attach it back? Both sides are detached.

Ideas and solutions will be very welcome,

Thanks and have a great day

JY

Old 06-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
That gaiter is attached to the upper shifter trim that houses the sensors for which gear you are in. take a small trim tool and pry up the chrome trim ring around the shifter. You can then grab the center console wood trim around the cup holder area and pull it up. Be careful some cars you will need to remove the wood trim around the infotainment first. Disconnect your all electrical connections and remove the wood. This will expose the sides of the shifter. There are plastic tabs that hold the cap on that you see. Remove this and it will expose where the gaiter is.......but from my experience with this issues the gaiter is usually far to gone to reglue. And when it can be reattached it comes off shortly after because it is a moving part.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:46 AM
JyB
Thanks for your reply.
That gaiter is for protection only, correct? I guess the car can be driven normally as long as we do not drop anything into that hole, am I right?
I will then plan to have a closer look this weekend, cheers.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
i agree swflbt23:repair will not last. need to purchase new piece-expensive.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:44 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
see my original post on this subject: 05 CGT shifter assembly sliding cover

Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JyB
Thanks for your reply.
That gaiter is for protection only, correct? I guess the car can be driven normally as long as we do not drop anything into that hole, am I right?
I will then plan to have a closer look this weekend, cheers.

you will be fine short term. iv seen them after a while dust and dirt will stick in there with the occasional coffee mess. then the selector position sensors start to get a little angry.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
There is a small magnet (on my 05) embedded in the rubber blanket. If you dislodge this, you will loose your paddles and your Driver Display Panel will change.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 PM
JyB
Thanks for the reply, it seems more difficult than I thought ... I'll go to a qualified workshop and see if they can do a first fix with glue ... and then it looks like no choice but to get the part. Cheers, JY.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...any idea how your gear system got messed up...too much sun??...how did you resolve and how much...Hello from San Francisco...JimB

Old 02-15-2017, 06:34 PM
JyB
Hi, from what I understand, it just got messed up on its own, it looks fragile to me ... During the last servicing, my mechanic just fixed it with a bit of glue for free. Will change the part if it happens again - I was told it would cost around 1000 USD.

It has been 8 months now and it looks fine, touch wood!

Cheers

JY

Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Dust cover

Bentley will make you buy the entire shifter, however I can get you the replacement cover brand new for$300. I just got one for my car.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Crazyrussian3685 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BentleyF
Bentley will make you buy the entire shifter, however I can get you the replacement cover brand new for$300. I just got one for my car.
can u post more info on this replacement cover fix!?
this is very, VERY! common problem and I’ve been looking for solution for a long time. Dealer says shifter hast to be replaced (around $3600)

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM
lp640montoya is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought one from alpine performance i think located in hallandale fl dont have a tel# but you can search it , its just a black cover that goes inside it took about one hour to change it , i paid about $375 dont remember exactly

Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Dust cover from luke at Alpine performance his # is

Originally Posted by lp640montoya
I bought one from alpine performance i think located in hallandale fl dont have a tel# but you can search it , its just a black cover that goes inside it took about one hour to change it , i paid about $375 dont remember exactly
Dust cover can be purchased from Alpine Performance in hallendale Fl. Luke is awesome and will tell you how to install. ( no tools required) he sells new and used parts. *+1 (754) 204-2100‬

Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 AM
JyB
Thank you very much for the information!

I am trying to order one unit online but their website keeps crashing when I inquire about shipping overseas.

If someone from Alpine Performance reads this, please contact me by Private Message.

Thank you and have a great week.

JY

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley Gear stick question