Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Rallye77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, im a newbie on here but have had my bentley for about 18 months, and modified it slightly since i got it.
Few pics of mine as it is just now.

im after some information or help with the air springs, does anyone have and exploded view of how there put together and components. Im want to lower mine more and have been thinking of cutting the struts and shortening them. Im a fabricator/engineer so i can do it its more a fact of recharging them afterwards.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Using the VAS diagnostic system, you can adjust the ride height programmatically. This way you can experiment with different settings to determine the impact on ride, stability, alignment and other factors. Shortening the struts is pretty radical. Many users here on the forum change the ride height mechanically using lowering links, but I still favour adjusting electronically. If you elect to follow my advice, be patient. You have to adjust each strut in SMALL increments. The system doesn't allow you to enter big changes in a single step.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Im already lowered on the drop links, but im now at a point were the struts are as low as they will go, hence why im thinking of cutting & shortening the strut giving me an extra drop but keep bentley management and struts rather than going for an aftermarket kit.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rallye77
Im already lowered on the drop links, but im now at a point were the struts are as low as they will go, hence why im thinking of cutting & shortening the strut giving me an extra drop but keep bentley management and struts rather than going for an aftermarket kit.
My Bentley documentation doesn't provide any internal schematics on the air struts. However, I found this which may provide some insight.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info, gives me a ruff idea of what is located where. Need to find someone that works for bentley or arnott that could give me so insite of recharging them.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info, gives me a ruff idea of what is located where. Need to find someone that works for bentley or arnott that could give me so insite of recharging them.
See what this guy did with his A8L by shortening the strut at the fork by cutting an inch off and welding the fork back on, so no need for recharge.

Pics on post #4.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nsion-2933172/

Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
See what this guy did with his A8L by shortening the strut at the fork by cutting an inch off and welding the fork back on, so no need for recharge.

Pics on post #4.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nsion-2933172/
Cheers for this its an option, but need the think about the rear, theres nothing there to cut and reduce its length.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Forster1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure mine is lower than yours and it's not at the strut limits 🤔

Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Forster1993
I'm sure mine is lower than yours and it's not at the strut limits 🤔

ive decided to go down the route of airrex struts and bags. There basically acoilover strut with and air spring so i can adjust it to suit.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Forster1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
ive decided to go down the route of airrex struts and bags. There basically acoilover strut with and air spring so i can adjust it to suit.
I looked into air ride for this car as I had it on my previous car. But when I looked no one did a kit for the CGT?

Also are you planning to use the stock management and 4mm airlines or replacing everything with 3/8" for lift speed?

And how will you overcome height sensor errors?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Its basically audi a8 slightly modified, because of the coilover strut in wont affect the level sensors as ill just modify the drop link length as ill set it at a ride height i want. Im going to use the original 4mn lines but also have a second tank and compressor as additional air. Im not wanting to raise and lower it often so it will be ok. Its no the rolling height. Ive had air and coilovers on the last 3 show cars so ive always liked rolling as low as possible.