Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2004 GT Interior Color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:37 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 GT Interior Color?

I have a 2004 GT that I'm fixin to re-dye some light spots in the leather. The problem is that previously some harsh chemicals (lacquer thinner I suspect) were used to clean spray paint off some of the leather, which removed/ lightened some of the leather dye in a few areas.

My question is "what color is the leather?" It's the "saddle brown" color that was seemingly very common in this model "back then" (maybe still is?). Johnny "Hotspur" sold me a trim piece that matches... so I'm hoping Johnny can chime in on this. According to one dye supplier's color chart, the color seems closest to "red (oxblood) RFR-34", but I suspect the color swatch as I'm seeing it on my screen is likely different. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture on this forum... and with that, wait for a clear day I can take a picture of one of the interior leather pieces in natural sun light.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 11-22-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
my o4 has saffron as the main hide

Old 11-23-2018, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by larryr
my o4 has saffron as the main hide
Thanks Larry.

I think I've narrowed my GT's interior color down to either "saddle brown" or "Cognac". I was hoping one of the factory tags on one of the panels, seats, etc... might give an indication as per the leather color, but seemingly not. I notice that many of the interior leather covered pieces have a sharpie notation of "853" on them... I don't know if that has any relevancy? I understand I can "contact my local dealer" to run the VIN to determine the color... which there is one in this state, about 350 miles from my location... I'll give them a call Monday and see what.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Paste-It

Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
Thanks Larry.

I think I've narrowed my GT's interior color down to either "saddle brown" or "Cognac". I was hoping one of the factory tags on one of the panels, seats, etc... might give an indication as per the leather color, but seemingly not. I notice that many of the interior leather covered pieces have a sharpie notation of "853" on them... I don't know if that has any relevancy? I understand I can "contact my local dealer" to run the VIN to determine the color... which there is one in this state, about 350 miles from my location... I'll give them a call Monday and see what.
Hello Mark,
As far as the number "853" written on all the parts, that is the number assigned to your vehicle at time of build to know which item is for which vehicle, as if you look at me re-build thread you will see "920" hand written on many parts, I will check tonight to see if the seat cover tags have any info as to color code, "Cognac" may be correct, but, Cognac is the color of my 05 A8L W12 and that color looks darker then the color that was in the black parts GT that I sent you the rear trim piece from, be back soon.

I may add that when I disassembled the black GT door panels for all the wiring and other parts, a buyer want the door panels, with the understanding that all the untested flood parts would be used to reassemble the panels to be 100% complete, well these door panels had blood soaked stains and a puncture, along with some scratches, I told the buyer this and he was fine, but I just did not feel right leaving the like that, so I used leather cleaner, conditioner, and a shoe polish paste ( I will check color) many times to get it close, buffing over and over adding a little paste at a time, they did not come out perfect, but the buyer was happy !

See pics.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-23-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 11-24-2018, 08:54 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I have the same color interior on my 05 GT. I purchased a part from Johnny and his part matched my interior. On my 05, there is a tag under the trunk spare tire cover. It listed the exterior/interior colors as LK7S and 99, along with all of the RPO component codes used on the assembly order. Look for your label there. That said, for the life of me I cannot find an association with any 05 color name and the color code 99. I've seen saddle brown, cognac, tan, light brown...none of which any of the leather dye suppliers can confirm. They all want a sample piece of leather. I don't have a leather problem enough to go through that, but if you find out any info, would appreciate it if you follow up on your post.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Okay, well I thought I had something, but no go, all the little stickers have different part numbers as they are the part numbers for each piece of the backing foam for the seats.
I do however have the section of the seatback and sides that I will cut swatches out of and send to whomever needs a swatch.

Johnny J J

Old 11-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Some charts.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Thanks BWings. I just looked... my GT has the tag under the spare tire cover, left side, pasted on edge of the wheel well. Unfortunately my GT's tag is so faded I can't make out the color codes... except possibly a "9" at the end.

I looked up the vehicle's VIN on-line, and with that, I found a seller's ad for the vehicle from a few years back... listing the colors as cypress metallic exterior and saddle (brown) interior.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Okay, well I thought I had something, but no go, all the little stickers have different part numbers as they are the part numbers for each piece of the backing foam for the seats.
I do however have the section of the seatback and sides that I will cut swatches out of and send to whomever needs a swatch.
Johnny J J
Thanks for your offer Johnny. I believe I'll order a leather dye and repair kit from "Autoleatherdye" in their "Saddle Brown" color and see what. I have a leather repair kit with a selection of dye tint colors if I need to tweak the color some... as I suspect the base chemicals are the same or compatible... I'll likely determine that as I proceed. I'll take some before and after pics to post.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 PM
I'm happy to report that I've received the leather dye and repair kit I ordered from "AutoLeatherDye.com" and tried it out today, and so-far, so good. I sent Auto Leather Dye a swatch from the back side of the right rear interior panel (covering the RR window regulator), and they custom matched the dye, and to my eye, they nailed the color dead-on to the saddle (brown). I'm just getting a good start on repairing some of the damage in the leather, being puncture holes and small tears, but it's going along well... I'm developing a little technique... I don't know if I'll be successful in perfect restoration of the damage, but it's so-far passing the 10ft. test... I'm pretty stoked.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 12-13-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo