Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Chrome Rim Curb Rash

Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Chrome Rim Curb Rash

The previous owner nicked two of the 19" optional solid chrome rims on my GTC. Has anyone had any experience with getting chrome rims repaired either in Canada or the US? Thank you all in advance!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I originally had the chrome 19" and they also had some damage. When I explored repair, I quickly discovered it made more sense to buy a replacement as the wheels had to be completely re-chromed (which is expensive and time-consuming). I eventually sold my chrome rims and replaced them with 2-piece 20 inch Mulliner wheels.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I will explore all avenues as I would like to keep the car as close to original as I can.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I agree about originality. That's why I went for the OEM Bentley 20" rims that were an option for my year ('05). I had a quick look for chrome replacements. I assume you are in Kingston, Ontario and hence, have to deal with currency exchanges and duties. There is a chap in Ottawa who sometimes deals in used Bentley rims. His name is Ken Teng (mbcfob@hotmail.com). I bought a set of standard (i.e. painted) 19" rims from him in 2011. He might be able to help you.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Thank you very much! I will contact Ken right now.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I completely agree with PMS on the repair. There is no process I know of to patch repair damaged chrome. Just a complete rechrome. On top of that, the original chrome plate needs to be removed before a new chrome plate can be done.

Add me to the list of slight curb rash on one of four chrome OEM 19s. At this time in the age cycle of the first series GTs, probably most of the original wheels have some damage. I opted for a new set of aftermarket 20s in black because I like the black wheel look. Eventually the chromes will go back on when I sell and are being stored right now.

Chrome plating is becoming harder to find BC of the "dirty" chemicals used in the process. I couldn't tell you where to look in the US.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Thanks, I was looking into Alloy Gator, I think it would cover the curb rash up...

Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I've used rim blades on another car. They too are sold to protect the rims from curb rash, and would have hidden some rim damage. Rim blades are more "decorative" too. so not sure if you'll impact the look.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Thanks, I will check out rim blades.