Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Strange noise from front suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:46 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Strange noise from front suspension

Pulling out of the garage and parking spaces at low speed with wheels turned rather sharply I'm now getting a clunking sound from the front suspension on my 2008 GT Speed. After it clunks once you can drive away with no other signs of a problem.

Seems to me I read some time back that one common issue with these cars is front suspension - perhaps bushings? Car has 38,500 miles on it.

Any knowledge you can share about the possible cause and solution to this new apparent suspension problem will be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Wheel bearing?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM
No, not the symptom that would be related to a bearing.

This is a one time "clunk" with a slight jerk that can be felt in the car. But the "one time" occurs whenever the same starting out conditions are encountered - very slow speed with wheels turned rather sharply.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Try sway bar bushings and end links. I had that same problem on my C6 (w/Z51). New bushings and end links solved it. Also had the problem on an XK8 years ago. There too, sway bar bushings solved it.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Lower control arms ,there’s a big Bush on the inner aspect .Normally the front nearside wears first .
Bentley part is (Uk prices) near £400 in a winged black box but any auto spares does them , interchangeable with A8 / Phaeton .
I had one done recently when in the U.K. part was Audi ( tech saw 4 rings on it ) and was £104 + about 1hr labour +vat .
Any spanner man can fit them or yourself if competent + tools etc .

The harshness comes on gradually as they wear the front nearside lower takes a hammering with pot holes / grates etc .

Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Thanks John. I believe that is it.

When researching these cars before I bought one I uncovered the common problems with them. I remember reading something about the suspension and your message reminded me it was the lower control arms.

I have not looked into it yet in detail. Are there two bushings per arm that need replaced, one at each end? I would think it advisable to change them all unless it is known that the problem appears with only one end and not the other. Sometimes that can happen depending on the suspension geometry.

I have a shop behind my house with a lift where I restore old Corvettes. So I may undertake the spanner work myself. But in dealing with bushings you often need a hydraulic press to get the old bushing out and install the new one.

Due to the cost of Bentley parts I am a big fan of buying parts that are also used on VW and Audi. Glad to hear the bushing are one of them.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Nader is on a distinguished road
Yeah I get the same noise on occasion. Sad part is my 2010 supersports only has 6000 miles but I guess the age takes it toll regardless. My front struts are going also so might do it all at the same time.... gulp...

Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
2015 Flying Spur: recently experienced a clunk in the front end over brick paver roads and/or small bumps. Both sides upper and lower control arms replaced at dealer under warranty. It seems there is an issue with the design as I keep hearing more stories of clunks/squeaks in CGT/Spur front ends.