Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Dash Cam installation

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Dash Cam installation

I have a dash cam that I'd like to install and conceal the power cord. I see 3 possibilities for getting power to the camera: 1) run the cable to the driver's side fusebox (LHD); 2) pull the overhead console and splice to a switched power lead (assuming one is there); or 3) running the cable into the glove box and plugging into the outlet there. Please feel free to offer other options. Of the three, I like the idea of going to the glove box as I don't have to do any electrical work. I don't mind doing electrical but that's a last resort. If I go the glove box route my question is what's the best way to get into it? Drop the glove box and come in through the openings on the top? If I do that what's involved in removing or at least partially lowering it? Thanks for any ideas and guidance!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BruceR
I have a dash cam that I'd like to install and conceal the power cord. I see 3 possibilities for getting power to the camera: 1) run the cable to the driver's side fusebox (LHD); 2) pull the overhead console and splice to a switched power lead (assuming one is there); or 3) running the cable into the glove box and plugging into the outlet there. Please feel free to offer other options. Of the three, I like the idea of going to the glove box as I don't have to do any electrical work. I don't mind doing electrical but that's a last resort. If I go the glove box route my question is what's the best way to get into it? Drop the glove box and come in through the openings on the top? If I do that what's involved in removing or at least partially lowering it? Thanks for any ideas and guidance!
Bruce, if you can switch to the other side (driver's side), and with the fuse panel right there, it would be so easy and 5 mins (and no disassembly) to use a tap-a-fuse. I assume you're looking at a camera mount around the rear view mirror? I do think power is available at the overhead as the reading lights go on w/o the car running. Problem is, all those lights are programmed to time out if they're on. So if you want to run a camera all the time, even when you're parked, I don't think there are circuits overhead that will work. Maybe only homelink if it is 12v.

Last edited by BWings; 01-23-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Thanks, that was my first thought. I'll look at the fusebox. The camera will be on a switched circuit so as not to drain the car's battery. The cam has an internal battery that activates the camera if the car is tapped. The overhead would be nice but the video I watched for removing it is tricky and can cause damage.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 AM
RazMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you considered the rear view mirror power feed - I did this on my Landrover with excellent results

Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by RazMan
Have you considered the rear view mirror power feed - I did this on my Landrover with excellent results
Yes, that's option 2 in my original post but I hesitate to do that because it's a bit tricky to remove without risk of damaging it which could become an expensive fix.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 PM
I installed the dash cam today pushing the wire into the driver's side headliner along the top of the windscreen, across the seam and into the weatherstrip then across another seam into the fascia fuse panel. Using an upholstery tool (a credit card would also do) I was able to completely conceal the entire length of wire so only a short length sticks out of the headliner to reach the camera which I located behind the rear view mirror on the driver's side. The camera I installed is an Akaso V1 and rather than the included lighter plug I used a hardwire kit (both from Amazon). The camera itself is only about the size of an ice cube so there's no interference with the mirror.

Contrary to the car's Maintenance Booklet, there's no tab or hinges on my 2009 to unlatch and swing the knee bolster down to reveal the fuse panel. Instead, it just pulls straight off completely. I used a fuse tap (https://goo.gl/wrGndR) on fuse #85 which is for the rear cigar lighter and used the screw at the upper right of the fuse panel for ground. The screw has a black coating so I removed it and sanded off the coating on the threads and underside of the head then completed the installation. The 12v to 5v transformer is tiny and I stuck it on the panel with a piece of Velcro so it won't rattle.

The tiny screen on such a small camera is virtually useless but the small size with 1296p HD, built in WiFi & GPS and adhesive mounting system make it a great camera. To view the video a press of the WiFi button sends it to a smartphone app or the micro SD card can be removed and viewed on a PC.

Last edited by BruceR; 01-09-2023 at 05:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-09-2023, 05:36 PM
UPDATE: January 2023
I just reinstalled the dash cam from my flooded '09 into my "new" '16 and the steps were identical to those described above. I was able to save the camera and mounting bracket which remained above the water line and used a new USB cable and power supply. I consider a dash cam as an essential accessory ever since some guy clipped my right rear fender on my Jaguar and tried to blame me. I emailed him the video and he apologized and told his insurance company it was his fault. You can watch the clip here: