Should there oil be in this hose???? '09 flying spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:23 AM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
Should there oil be in this hose???? '09 flying spur

Hi all-

For my 09 flying spur:

There's a tube/line of some kind at the front corner of the engine (there's one on each side) that keeps cracking and separating on me. I've repaired it several times successfully. The other day i accidentally broke it, again, but this time i noticed the interior covered in oil--either engine oil or any other fluids in this car that appear the same brown color.

Here's a picture. Should there be oil in here?? I should mention that i've had the car at the mechanic's about a month ago for power steering issues and a "sealing" issue of one of the turbo's. They claimed to have fixed the turbo issue. Could this just be normal residue from the turbo repair?

At the moment there aren't any warning lights on the dash and the performance seems normal.

Should i be concerned that there's oil in this tube? If so, what could be wrong? thanks!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Its quite normal, they are breather pipes and oil will be on the inner tube ...

Old 03-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Really?? Every other time i had to open it for repair, there wasn't a single drop or sign of oil in it. There's a pretty good coating in here now. And what's this hose called? (the one that attaches at the point shown above that snakes downwards).

Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 AM
am i looking at part #7 in this diagram?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cduluk1
am i looking at part #7 in this diagram?

Like I said its normal, its the breather pipes that let the engine breath, they will fill up with oil in time, the hose is called a vent hose and dose exactly that vent the engine, just make sure its not blocked ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-04-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
You have discovered one of the little discussed problems of our beloved cars. That trouble some hose and the one on the other side is the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) intake manifold Inlet.. Regrettably our ingenious Bentley engineer's used a plastic that overtime petrifies and cracks just like the vacuum lines.

The cheap solution is to use 3/8 rubber transmission hose which can withstand oil. This house looks like gas line but it's for transmissions, parts store. This tube fits snugly on the hard to get to lower part and the upper 90-degree part that plugs into the intake manifold. When the line brakes while driving the vacuum leak is tremendous and the car becomes undrivable. For the sake of originality the covering on the old line can be carefully slipped over the 3/8 transmission replacement hose.

Not clear what was involved on your turbo repair, however, based on the inaccessibility of the turbos they probably removed the air cleaners and fiddled around down there. Surely they bumped that line and it broke. That was not a careless move on their part. The carelessness was the engineer's at Bentley using that type of plastic. That part was going to break anyway, sorry to say.

So when installing the rubber hose suggested down in the lower part make sure everything is nice and toasty warm. The 3/8 rubber transmission hose is a snug fit. You'll want to make sure that it goes all the way down on the splines on the first push.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 03-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:33 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
The oil is normal in that tube. As the engine ages, this increases piston ring blow-by. Eventually oil passes to the intake manifold ie. positive crankcase ventilation.

Disconnect the intercooler rubber tubes at the bottom of the front of the engine, a couple ounces of oil will come of each side. Essentially oil bypasses the piston rings and oil accumulates. The intercoolers act like oil condensate traps for oil mist. This is normal, no one thinks of draining the intercoolers but should.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 03-07-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Ah that makes sense! Thanks for the info guys!