Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Independent Bentley repair in Chicago area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Independent Bentley repair in Chicago area?

As a new owner, I've been told to stay away from the dealer, that most VW/Audi repair shops can do work on the Bentley. But I still want someone familiar with the car, does anyone have any Chicago references to an independent that can service my 2005 GT?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
For a dealer, I hear Steve Foley in Northbrook is good. I'm going to try out Fluid Motor Union in Naperville for my CGT soon. They seem to be pretty familiar with Bentleys.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I found Fluid Dynamics on the web and I think you're on to something. It's pretty far out there though, 30 miles from the city. I was hoping there was someone closer.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
I also hear good things about Helmut & Vitos in Downers Grove. Not a whole lot closer though.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Woodson is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve Foley Northbrook - Bentley, Rolls Royce, Cadillac dealership. Ask for Greg. They've been very reasonable with my 07 GT repairs.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:45 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Thanks for that info. What exactly have you had done and what about did they charge if you don’t mind telling?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by Woodson
Steve Foley Northbrook - Bentley, Rolls Royce, Cadillac dealership. Ask for Greg. They've been very reasonable with my 07 GT repairs.
I hear good things about them as well. Selling dealer took my car to them for the high brake light replacement before I took delivery.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Samhain
I hear good things about them as well. Selling dealer took my car to them for the high brake light replacement before I took delivery.
Sure... they loved the fact that I was using as a daily driver.

vacuum hose engine assembly - yes, they dropped the engine; replace front suspension; replace HVAC motor assembly; 3td brake light replacement; repair sagging headliner; and some other minor repairs.

I was on their shop floor with the mechanic almost every day to see what had done. Super accommodating and they enjoyed sharing what they had done, what could be done and, frankly, what should not be done. They found my interest in my GT's inner workings very refreshing.

as for price... they worked with me. I would just say be smart about how you propose grouping repairs so the labor costs are reduced. I also bought some parts directly and had them install - no concerns.

I have returned since and will be a repeat customer.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Sure... they loved the fact that I was using as a daily driver.

vacuum hose engine assembly - yes, they dropped the engine; replace front suspension; replace HVAC motor assembly; 3td brake light replacement; repair sagging headliner; and some other minor repairs.

I was on their shop floor with the mechanic almost every day to see what had done. Super accommodating and they enjoyed sharing what they had done, what could be done and, frankly, what should not be done. They found my interest in my GT's inner workings very refreshing.

as for price... they worked with me. I would just say be smart about how you propose grouping repairs so the labor costs are reduced. I also bought some parts directly and had them install - no concerns.

I have returned since and will be a repeat customer.
That's a great reco - I'll give them a try.

Did they do metal lines for the vacuum hoses for you?

Old 03-06-2019, 04:02 PM
That's a great reco - I'll give them a try.

Did they do metal lines for the vacuum hoses for you?
No to metal lines. They know about the master mechanic in NY that does that repair. They showed me how the new hose assembly has been redesigned to accomodate the heat issue that created the vacuum hose weakness in the first place and explained that O should never return to their shop for the issue with my car in the future. No guarantees but they were honest and upfront about the design issue and how it was resolved.

My experiences with them have created a sense of trust between us.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
No to metal lines. They know about the master mechanic in NY that does that repair. They showed me how the new hose assembly has been redesigned to accomodate the heat issue that created the vacuum hose weakness in the first place and explained that O should never return to their shop for the issue with my car in the future. No guarantees but they were honest and upfront about the design issue and how it was resolved.

My experiences with them have created a sense of trust between us.
Could you give a ballpark for what they charge for the vacuum hose job (which is a great band name)? Mine's a 2005 and I want to budget for it just in case.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Could you give a ballpark for what they charge for the vacuum hose job (which is a great band name)? Mine's a 2005 and I want to budget for it just in case.
let me just say... I budgeted and so might many. I knew the job was about 40-50 hours of labor + parts (and I knew the cost of the parts).

I combined the repair with replacement of the control arms and bushings of the front suspension to reduce the outlay for labor. The combined cost was then quite a hit less then the efforts separately - again, be smart about how you group your repairs.

Know this... there are plenty of feeds on this forum that suggest pricing as low as $4k and up to $10k

Honestly, if you are at the dealer, you've got to accept that they can only "shape" the price so much... I budgeted for $7-9k and was not disappointed with where I landed.

Beat of success to you.