Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Remove Bumper Continental 2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:48 AM
yanacha is on a distinguished road
Remove Bumper Continental 2005

Dear friends,
I would like to change my front bumper’s sensors on my Bentley Continental. Do you have an outline where we can see all the screw and bolts ?
Do you confirm that it is necessary to take off the ice wash to get to the bolt ?
Thank you very much
Best regards,

Old 04-03-2019, 12:11 AM
I think I know how to do it.
I will make a photo tutorial next week during the dismantling

Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by yanacha
Dear friends,
I would like to change my front bumper’s sensors on my Bentley Continental. Do you have an outline where we can see all the screw and bolts ?
Do you confirm that it is necessary to take off the ice wash to get to the bolt ?
Thank you very much
Best regards,
Yes, as I recall: the headlight washer nozzle covers should be removed to facilitate loosening the bolts (nuts?) between the headlight lenses. Those two bolts (nuts) don't need to be fully removed, but only loosened some. Also the nozzle covers need to be removed to remove the bumper skin as the headlight washer gizmos behind the covers are affixed to the structure behind the bumper skin. As I recall, the headlight washer nozzle covers are snapped/on the nozzles and are removed by carefully prying them off.

Also: The two bumper skin bolts (nuts?) next to the inside headlight lenses (nearest the grill) are really tricky to get to in any civilized manner. And again, I don't think those two bolts need to be fully removed, but rather only loosened some as there's slots in the back of the bumper skin mounting holes.

Also: I discovered by experience, that when reinstalling the bumper skin, do not tighten the two bolts (nuts?) any more than basically finger tight joining the bumper skin to the fender at the upper outside corners of the bumper skin as snugly tightening those fasteners can cause the bumper skin to crack there.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:16 AM
Thank you for your answer.
How many bolts next to the headlamp ? Just 2? Why do you say it is difficult to reach ?
How many bolt need to be take off behind the fender ?
Thank you
Best regards

Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Thank you for your answer.
How many bolts next to the headlamp ? Just 2?
There's two per side. One each between the headlight lenses, and one in-board of each high beam lens.

Why do you say it is difficult to reach ?
The screws in-board of each high beam lens aren't all that "difficult" to reach... you can see them and almost put the end of your finger on them... but you absolutely can't get a socket on them, and at-best you can sort-of work them with a skinny-little carb box-end wrench... turning them maybe 16th (or a 32nd?) of a turn at a time. It's not really mechanic stuff, but more akin to watch repair stuff. You don't need to fully remove these screws as those (four) bumper skin screw holes are slotted in the back. And you absolutely don't want to try and start/thread those screws in after having the bumper skin back in-place... rather have those screws partially started into the wing fender before reinstalling the bumper skin.

How many bolt need to be take off behind the fender ?
In addition to the one per side that threads up into the fender at the far top ends of the bumper skin, As I recall there's three more on each side/end of the bumper skin... they're self evident... they thread-through to the plastic fender wheel well and into clips on the bumper skin. You gotta jack up the front and remove the wheels to get to those screws in a civilized manner. Totally I believe there's about 27 bolts/screws fasteners for the front bumper skin... there's two larger torx head bolts behind the left and right grills. There's also 3 or 4 clips per side where the bumper skin mates to the bottom front sides of the wing fenders. The first time I did this, I referenced pictures of a bumper skin on eBay to see where all the fastener spots were.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 04-04-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
There's two per side. One each between the headlight lenses, and one in-board of each high beam lens.

The screws in-board of each high beam lens aren't all that "difficult" to reach... you can see them and almost put the end of your finger on them... but you absolutely can't get a socket on them, and at-best you can sort-of work them with a skinny-little carb box-end wrench... turning them maybe 16th (or a 32nd?) of a turn at a time. It's not really mechanic stuff, but more akin to watch repair stuff. You don't need to fully remove these screws as those (four) bumper skin screw holes are slotted in the back. And you absolutely don't want to try and start/thread those screws in after having the bumper skin back in-place... rather have those screws partially started into the wing fender before reinstalling the bumper skin.

In addition to the one per side that threads up into the fender at the far top ends of the bumper skin, As I recall there's three more on each side/end of the bumper skin... they're self evident... they thread-through to the plastic fender wheel well and into clips on the bumper skin. You gotta jack up the front and remove the wheels to get to those screws in a civilized manner. Totally I believe there's about 27 bolts/screws fasteners for the front bumper skin... there's two larger torx head bolts behind the left and right grills. There's also 3 or 4 clips per side where the bumper skin mates to the bottom front sides of the wing fenders. The first time I did this, I referenced pictures of a bumper skin on eBay to see where all the fastener spots were.
The top photo shows the edge of the front bumper skin and the three spots that get fastened inside the wheel well. The second photo shows where the headlight openings are and the 2 hidden screws that Mr Hellinger is referring to.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 04-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 AM
Thank you very much for your valued advice.

Do you know the difference between Continental GT and Continental Supersports ?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to reach the sensors without removing the front bumper? What if you take out the plastic grill fillers on each side?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by MrVette
Is it possible to reach the sensors without removing the front bumper? What if you take out the plastic grill fillers on each side?
I'd say "yes/ maybe". I've never tried it myself... but it wouldn't hurt to try as-in: If your grills are like mine, you can pop them out in no-time (seconds). However: Removing the bumper skin isn't all that big of deal... the second time anyway... especially after you make a bent 8mm box-end wrench to reach the 2 bolt heads next to the inside headlight lenses. A week or so ago I removed the front bumper skin on my '07 GT... so I could remove the left wing fender... I had the bumper skin off in under 15 minutes, including ******** tools. I perceive manipulating the electrical plug latches and such to change the sensors would be a real exercise in patience and skill learning curve with the bumper skin on.