Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

04 Continental GT, Start then no power.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 01:23 AM
ScottUK is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Continental GT, Start then no power.

Hello to you all,

I got an odd and infuriating problem on a Continental GT and it's something I've never come across before.

The car was driven fine (engine and electrical wise) for 2 months.
I was asked to take a look at a couple of issues and advise on some trinkets.

Originally, the car started, idled and generally work.
The issues when i got there was satnav wasnt reconised, rear right window doesn't work and boot didnt shut/lock.

Found the issue with the satnav, no DVD drive. The rear right window didn't work because the control unit was removed.
No idea on the boot lid yet.

I went back to where the car is a couple of weeks later to work on a Q5 and the CGT wasn't running right and randomly lost power.
I didn't have time to fully look at it, so went back 2 weeks later and spent yesterday attempting to track down the issue.

The issue/s.

Start the car, starts fine. 30 seconds later it dies. Theres no power to the car. Nothing, dead.
hazards, lights, cluster, not on, can't even take the key out of the ignition.
The rev counter needle didnt have time to zero.
ODB port is dead.

Several minutes later the car seems to wake up again. Sometimes you can hear the power solenoid in the back kicking in, other times you can't.

Take The key out, back in and turn the ignition on. Car will sit there with the engine off for ages (batteries are hooked up to chargers) but soon as you start, it will die again.

Before starting the car there seems to be no power/function to the doors (can't contact the modules), hazards, lights and stereo.

I've checked fuses, relays etc and tracked down modules for water damage and there seems to be signs of water but the modules are clean.
There is also evidence of bodgery.

I've a bit stuck and can't Find much on this issue.
If anyone has any ideas, things to try, please let me know.
it will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Scott

Old 01-31-2022, 11:12 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ScottUK
If anyone has any ideas, things to try, please let me know.
it will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Scott
Hello ScottUK,

Consider load testing the batteries they may be surface charged... and check the terminals. A scan would help, however the OBD port no voltage inhibits this. Battery problems on our B's have been covered in the past.

Seems like the key security recognition is interrupted. Before exploring complicated solutions focus on the batteries!👍😉

FWIW & BTW, changing the key fob battery will not fix these issues. A bad key fob battery would prevent remote opening and closing of the doors Etc.

Best

E

Old 01-31-2022, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @ScottUK ,
Welcome to 6speedonline !

100 % as E stated, check the batteries, also let us know, when you went back 2 weeks later, was the vehicle on a battery tender, or was the vehicle driven at all in those 2 weeks, or is it just sitting, because what you described sounds like a dead house battery, then the parallel switch kicks in to start the engine, but the house battery is so bad, the vehicle dies, one would think that the alternator should allow the engine to run regardless of dead house battery after starting, but maybe the battery is shorted inside, so age of batteries is in question, there is also a battery control module behind the house battery.

But first, check batteries, then scan, preferably with Ross-Tech VCDS or ODIS VAS 5054

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-31-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:28 PM
ScottUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Evening Guys,

Thank you for the replys and information.
Sorry for the delay with an update, I can only go up on the weekends.

We bought a new battery, ripped out loads of crap wiring, put it all back together and it works a treat.

I guess it was the battery.

Thank you all again.

Regards

Scott