Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster: First Official Photos (Autoweek)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
New Boxster: First Official Photos (Autoweek)

Here you go, new 'official' photos of the new Boxster from Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120119962

Excerpt from the article:

"The aluminum body is aligned to an all-new chassis boasting a longer wheelbase and a significantly wider front track. The suspension retains MacPherson struts up front and a multilink arrangement at the rear but now supports the larger wheels and tires, up from a previous 19 inches. The bigger wheels also support larger brakes.

Arguably the most significant change to the Boxster's mechanical makeup is the steering, which like that of the new 911 eschews hydraulic assistance for a new electromechanical system developed in partnership with ZF.

In a further link with the new 911, Porsche gave the third-generation Boxster a downsized base engine. Previously 2.9 liters in displacement, the new model adopts a comprehensively reworked, horizontally opposed six-cylinder reduced to 2.7 liters--the same size of the base engine offered in the first-generation Boxster model, the 986, following its facelift in 2000.

Despite the reduction in swept volume, the new base engine kicks out 261 hp. The Boxster S, on the other hand, retains the same 3.4-liter engine as the model it replaces. However, it too was revised for greater efficiency, with power climbing to 310 hp.

As before, buyers of the new Boxster will be offered the choice between a standard six-speed manual and an optional seven-speed PDK dual-clutch gearbox--the latter with revised software for what Porsche describes as “more rapid and smoother shifts” along with a so-called sailing feature that, like that seen on the 911, automatically decouples the engine during periods of tailing throttle on downhill grades, cutting engine revs to just 700 rpm for brief periods of added fuel saving.

When running the optional PDK gearbox, the new Boxster is claimed to hit 62 mph in 5.7 seconds with the Boxster S reaching the same performance benchmark in 5.0 seconds. Further gains in straight-line performance are promised by the adoption of Porsche's optional Sport Chrono package, which now brings dynamic gearbox mounts.

Further driveline developments center on the adoption of Porsche torque vectoring, which provides the rear-wheel-drive roadster with a mechanical differential, although it will likely be available only on the Boxster S.
"

Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I see they didn't let the power increase much, but I think it looks really good. In some photos, the front almost has a Ferrari look.

Last edited by Manifold; 01-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
I like it, the headlights remind me of Carrera GT.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Boxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the rough
Oh no... I REALLY like it.

When the spy shots of the silver Box leaked, it was the first time I wasn't thrilled with a new Porsche design (over the old) since... well, the 996 (sorry 996 owners! I like 'em now!). With the leaked pics, the New Boxster looked too MRSpyder to me. But somehow this REALLY came together, and that's not good for my finances!!!

Now, I really want one. Bad. I always buy a year or two old to avoid the first years of depreciation, but this one will take a lot of will power to resist. URGH!!! Why is it so stunning!???!?

I absolutely loved the squared-off humps that pull back from the rectangular-ish headlights, a la 918. URGH!!!! I WANT ONE!

Last edited by Boxster_S_girl; 01-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's great as well. It looks very classy.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 AM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SToronto
I like it, the headlights remind me of Carrera GT.
+1, and the side vent & lines as well......very nice

Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 AM
termigni is on a distinguished road
wow can't wait to see how the Cayman looks like

Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Can't wait to see it in person, I think we found our next car

Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dave(MA 02 C4S)
Can't wait to see it in person, I think we found our next car

WOW! If it drives like it looks, time to start thinking about trading something in.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
boxster is full of win.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Very nice. New Boxster Configurator is up. I don't see Sports Exhaust option! Love it on my Spyder.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Found some neat Tequipment pics:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Wow. I really like it. I may risk some negative comments, but my only knock on it is the performance. Why only 310 HP on the S? They can get a lot more out of that mill than that! I know, I know - it would compete against the base 991, but it is a shame when these cars have a really sweet balance to them to not give them a bit more grunt.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
They left out one little detail...the new turbo 4-banger motor....mark my words.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Toldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura about
The new Boxter is really cool!

Just filmed the NEW Porsche CAYMAN today:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Boxster: First Official Photos (Autoweek)