Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ShahulX
I think this boxster will sell better... But I wanted something more raw so I did the 987 spyder... The interior is nicer ( gauge cluster especially)...

The pic of the gray one is gorgeous... We have a white s pdk in my showroom.. And a black base manual... I like that grey more...

If you haven't seen one is person your doing yourself a disservice
+1 That's what I was thinking. Gray is usually such a boring color, but OP's pic shows that it looks great. Maybe the dark wheels add to it, but the color really matches that car.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
dave-t will become famous soon enough
I went to the Porsche Road Show yesterday at Summit Point and we got a chance to autocross the 981 Boxster. The acceleration and braking were really nice and car had no roll. My wife did comment that she thought it was easier to drive faster than my Cayman R. By no means would I call not a Mercedes.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Just out of curiosity, the few of you that have already judged the 981 to be a lesser car, have you even driven it?

The car is smoother, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER... each new model becomes “more civilized”. (not saying it’s good or bad, it’s just how it is... Look at a Corvette C4, then a C5 and yet the C6... each model becomes more refined and all the people with the older models treat the new model like a redheaded stepchild)

Every manufacturer does it, I don’t care if you’re talking about a Jeep, Corvette or Porsche. With each new model comes new technologies that seem to remove some of the raw feel we’ve all gotten used to.

I took the 981 out for about an hour’s test drive and it’s definitely smoother. Some may not like it but since this is going to be my daily driver, I can deal with the smoother, quieter better handling version. I personally ordered the sport exhaust so I’m hoping it makes more noise/burble but if it doesn’t, that’s what aftermarket is for.

So before some of the haters pass judgement, why don’t you test drive first and come back here and tell me you don’t like it.
Mark

Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM
navanod will become famous soon enoughnavanod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by orangecrush

So before some of the haters pass judgement, why don’t you test drive first and come back here and tell me you don’t like it.
Mark
I have driven the Boxster S and love it! People can ***** all they want... always happens when a new model is introduced. I too complained when the first spy photos hit the web... I came around though and so will others... not all but most. See it in the flesh and take it for a spin and it's a huge improvement. For those that hate it keep your 987 and move along.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by navanod
For those that hate it keep your 987 and move along.
Well said....

Mark

Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
the grass... is it really greener... or is it just green... (sometimes people are fertilyzer for brown grass... no matter what)
or do people feel like there getting left out or behind... cmon.. who needs a hug..
cmon on everybody.. group hug...

to all who are venturing out into a brand new car... enjoy... youve earned it or deserve it..... there is no such thing as a bad porsche....

Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
Cmon... lets Hug it out..

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Yea I don't think this is an slk by any means... We have one in my showroom next to a 991... Guess which one gets all the looks lol

Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kelderek
As for exhaust sound: It's very different from a 987. I think that a 987 sounds better when doing parking maneuvers at slow speed, it had a wonderful "grumbly", low key noise. Especially in a parking garages.
Good to hear you love your 981 so much. I'm jealous! However, I have to ask, is the 'grumbly' low key noise totally gone now? That's one of my favourite aural experiences when I leave for work each morning.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
From a new 981 owner:

Originally Posted by trusevich
The exhaust - the only dissapointment with the car. It screams awesom after 4-5,000, on hard acceleration. But at all other times it's just too quiet and civilized. At idle - it's barely there. Makes you try to accelerate hard in high revs all the times to get it to live. At 5,000 and up it's really awesome scream that can be heard for miles around. But only when you accelerate hard in high revs.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
it looks amazing in the OP pic, though. perhaps someone like sharky can sort out that exhaust note for us...

Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hawc
Good to hear you love your 981 so much. I'm jealous! However, I have to ask, is the 'grumbly' low key noise totally gone now? That's one of my favourite aural experiences when I leave for work each morning.
No, it's not gone, just a bit different. A bit more mechanical and raspy, but still low key.
Always hard to make sense of exhaust sounds. I would label the 981 sound as more "sporty" than 987, especially at high revs (where it's amazing! ). It might be quieter at low revs, it' hard to tell, but it still sounds good.

Also, since I have PDK, the experience at slow maneuvers is different. With a manual, you're always revving a bit more when engaging the clutch at slow speeds in e.g. parking situations. The PDK operates smoother and make such slow speed maneuvers quieter.
But in return, the PDK gives me wonderful throttle blips when downshifting at higher speeds, scares the crap out of pedestrians when stopping at red lights. So there's pros and cons with everything!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Since we’re talking about exhausts, is the Sport exhaust a previous option or new for the 981?

In either case, how hard is it to remove if someone wasn’t happy with the sound? Can it still be modified?

I’m not familiar how the sport exhaust works on a porsche but is there a “cut-out/diverter” forcing the exhaust through or around a muffler? If so, is this “diverter” before the muffler so we can still change mufflers or is it part of the whole exhaust system so that you can change the sound without pulling the entire system?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Since we’re talking about exhausts, is the Sport exhaust a previous option or new for the 981?

In either case, how hard is it to remove if someone wasn’t happy with the sound? Can it still be modified?

I’m not familiar how the sport exhaust works on a porsche but is there a “cut-out/diverter” forcing the exhaust through or around a muffler? If so, is this “diverter” before the muffler so we can still change mufflers or is it part of the whole exhaust system so that you can change the sound without pulling the entire system?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark
The Sport Exhaust was an option for the 987 as well. It works the same as before, with a button on the dashboard. If someone doesn't like the sound, there is no need to remove it, just leave the button "off"...

I haven't seen the 981 layout, but in the 991 it's a valve between the two mufflers that changes the flow pattern through the mufflers when you activate the PSE. I guess it's hard to make any aftermarket modifications there without changing the entire system... Don't know how the PSE setup looks on a 981.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I know this is for a 2.7 but the general configuration seems to be the same in all the boxsters... I guess the worst case scenario is if the S sport exhaust doesn’t sound good, a replacement of the rear setup could be replaced (?)

That was my only quirk about ordering the new 981... that being the sport exhaust. I hated the fact that I ordered it without knowing what it sounds like. For 2800 bucks, I know I could have bought an aftermarket setup.

I know the difference in sound between a stock 911 exhaust and one with sport exhaust is phenomenal but I have no idea how the 3.4 in the 981 will sound. (sounds decent on the configuration)

Oh well, too late so I guess we’ll see....

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 07-03-2012 at 05:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster