Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster

Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Some more pics I snapped tonight that really show how SQUARED off the fenders on the 981 have become. To each their own. I'm not totally decided myself how I feel about it. But I will say the car has definitely lost its curves. One big curve it no longer have is the curve IN from the outside to the middle of the car. It's now straight up and down whereas before the whole front wrapped in towards the middle. This was a very pleasing shape which is now gone. Anyway, everyone can judge for themselves.

I always joked that you couldn't put a Starbucks Venti paper cup anywhere on the 987 (try it sometime) because there wasn't a single flat surface only curves. But here on the 981 you could easily place a tall skinny cup on top of the flat front fender and it wouldn't tip over.

Same goes with the new rear fender. Probably the least flattering angle on the new car. Completely flat now.

My girlfriend dislikes how high the new backend comes up on the 981 and wanted to demonstrate just how much higher it is. She has a point.

Anyway.... one last thing the 981 really 'ages' the 987 more than the 991 'ages' the 997 design. Oh well. Still undecided.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing "disappointing" about the new car. It's a great car and lovely to boot. If one likes it, one should buy it. If one doesn't own it, there's nothing you can be disappointed about. If one owns it and doesn't like it, they didn't do their research about it prior to buying it. Buy the year/model you like and limit your negative energy to things you can do something about. The car is faster, lighter, more powerful, lower, and much better handling than ever. There's nothing to not like.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-11-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
It's pretty late but we had some major storms and knocked out power etc, but we are doing a late launch at my dealer for the 981... I'll park my spyder next to it and snap a few pics.

I like the new interior alot... Honestly I really can't say anything bad about the looks.. Maybe being squared off isn't great, but every design can take time to get used to.

I think my spyder may be more fun to drive (more raw etc) but of course I'd be faster in this car.. Your right about it aging the 987, the new cars looks much more futuristic and the 987 is more a classic look... Can you really go wrong? Lol

It's funny, we have 2 sitting at our dealer for a week.. No takers lol

Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by denversteve
Nothing "disappointing" about the new car. It's a great car and lovely to boot. If one likes it, one should buy it. If one doesn't own it, there's nothing you can be disappointed about. If one owns it and doesn't like it, they didn't do their research about it prior to buying it. Buy the year/model you like and limit your negative energy to things you can do something about. The car is faster, lighter, more powerful, lower, and much better handling than ever. There's nothing to not like.

Perfectly said... especially about the part that "if one doesn't own it, there's nothing to be disappointed about".

Anyone that is disappointed is exactly what Steve said... "didn't do their research"

Only 6 more days till my build is completed. (and then another month before I receive it...lol)

Mark

Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
I found something not to like. Currently Porscheless and I don't own a 981. I really don't like that!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Great post - I can't agree more. Too many haters on the Web.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dndodd
I found something not to like. Currently Porscheless and I don't own a 981. I really don't like that!!

Nothing but space and $60K between you and a 981... (if you can keep it that low)

Mark

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Nothing but space and $60K between you and a 981... (if you can keep it that low)

Mark
That is the problem after having a nicely optioned 997 I am spoiled and couldn't keep it that low.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by dndodd
That is the problem after having a nicely optioned 997 I am spoiled and couldn't keep it that low.
Tis okay, I couldn't neither... When I was said and done, I was a bit over 80K.

Problem for me is I definitely wanted a convertible and my only other choice would have been a 911. Unfortunately, I'd need quite a bit more than 80K to get one...lol.

So 981 it is...

Mark

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
I guess with advanced technology for speed and safety you have to make some sacrifice's such as weight and driving feel. I have a 86 Carrera and it is one of the funnest cars I drive, sometimes I enjoy driving that more than the 997tt. If the new Boxster drove like this (with alot of driver input) they would probably lose 50-60% of their sales. On a side note I recently bought a Mercedes CLS and made a few mods and posted this on one of their forums. Boy, that is certainly a brand for the older crowd, they were not very keen on many mods and I sensed they like to keep the cars "pure bred" or stock as much as possible. This certainly in contrast to this forum.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
stixlr8 is on a distinguished road
I'm not digging the 20 inch wheels. They make the brake rotors look very small, especially in the rear. I will probably be sticking with the base 19 inch S wheels.

My STi has 17 inch wheels and approximately the same size rotors (13 inch) as the S. On them, it looks good.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
In person the new Boxsters look great, but a lot of what I'm hearing is very similar to my thoughts on the 991 after a drove it.

Brilliant performer, but it is a more bland experience. Porsche have made their car more similar to the way other cars drive in a bid to capture more buyers. It's a car that generates big numbers for magazines, alienates fewer people, but ultimately gives back less to the driver. They are all doing it and it's kinda sad. The GTR'ing of the industry. Everyone wants a car that can be a BMW on the way to work and a hero at the track.

I think that's a mistake. Speed and refinement are becoming so cheap, in the end character is what is needed to maintain status.

The 991 has many amazing features, as do the new Boxsters, but they didn't have to IRON out the edges in the process. That was a decision made, not for performance, but market reach. Jag did this with the E-Type in the 70's, guess which one people prefer in hindsight?

I drove the 997 GTS right after the 991 and it was everything I wanted in a Porsche. It was not like other cars, just as my Boxster S wasn't like the SLK or Z4. That car is still among my favorite cars. Driving it meant I took a position and had a opinion on how cars should drive.

I think the desire to create ultimate stop watch performance is taking priority to the driving experience. I would rather give up a few tents of a second for a car that rewards every one of my senses. One that I have to learn, one that will grow on me over time. One that is exciting at low speeds too.

Last edited by black penguin; 07-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I gotta tell ya’ll, I’m already sick of hearing everyone whining about the 981 being too refined, too smooth, no feedback, blah, blah, blah. It’s technology, it happens in cars, it happens in jet skis, it happens in riding lawn mowers, it happens to anything with wheels.

All I can say is half the judgements on here are from people that haven’t driven a new 981 and the other half have no intention of buying one anyways.

So I guess my best suggestion is to anyone that finds it “too refined” should probably stick with an older, less technologically advanced model Porsche.

Mark

Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I gotta tell ya’ll, I’m already sick of hearing everyone whining about the 981 being too refined, too smooth, no feedback, blah, blah, blah. It’s technology, it happens in cars, it happens in jet skis, it happens in riding lawn mowers, it happens to anything with wheels.

All I can say is half the judgements on here are from people that haven’t driven a new 981 and the other half have no intention of buying one anyways.

So I guess my best suggestion is to anyone that finds it “too refined” should probably stick with an older, less technologically advanced model Porsche.

Mark
I tend to agree w/ this statement. If you want, all you have to do is shave your tires, turn off all the nanny aids, switch out for the stiffest springs you can find, etc etc etc....then you can get back that 'raw' feeling again. I always thought that the F40 was garbage when compared to the 959 when they first came out. Totally opposite paradigms and I can't stand regression. I'm puzzled by retrogrouches.

This is the way of the future, or should we go back to a time when we had to crank start our engines?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster