Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
The PSE was not available when I ordered the car, so I had no choice.

I have considered replacing the exhaust next year as an extra treat to make the car even more enjoyable. Let's see what people think about the PSE when it's out on the streets...
Looking forward to hearing your opinions on it!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kelderek
The PSE was not available when I ordered the car, so I had no choice.

I have considered replacing the exhaust next year as an extra treat to make the car even more enjoyable. Let's see what people think about the PSE when it's out on the streets...
Looking forward to hearing your opinions on it!
I'll be sure to post a video so everyone can see what it sounds like.

Mark

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ShahulX
Yea I don't think this is an slk by any means... We have one in my showroom next to a 991... Guess which one gets all the looks lol
My intention is certainly not to imply that the Boxster and SLK are similar in performance or feedback, sarcasm aside. My point is to say that there are sports cars and there are GTs. Sports cars are supposed to sacrifice convenience, comfort, and refinement in the name of intimate driver experience. The GT provides daily useability with performance ability. In my view, Mercedes' products represent the epitome of the GT. The SLK and SL are both extremely capable and liveable vehicles.

My point is to express regret in the direction that Porsches have been taking in making cars that straddle the line between a GT and a sports car. If I were to want a GT, I'd go for a car that is truely a GT, if I want a sports car, I'd buy a car that matches what I look for in a sports car.

My favorite water cooled Porsche is the 944. The interactive experience far exceeds the modern cars. Of the modern cars, my preference is for the 986 for it's more communicative chassis and steering. And yes, I've driven both Boxsters and 911s from the different modern generations. Of all the Porsches that I've had the pleasure to drive, however, the most entertaining is the early 80s SC. This car, in my opinion, was Porsche's most entertaining sports car.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
^I'd be hard-pressed to find a mid-engined car that's a GT. That's almost an oxymoron, "mid-engined GT".

Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Sports cars are supposed to sacrifice convenience, comfort, and refinement in the name of intimate driver experience.

I think that’s old school thinking... Why do you have to sacrifice convenience, comfort and refinement for a car to have an intimate driver experience?

Just because the new 981 removes the feedback feeling in the steering wheel, I’d hardly say that such a comfort makes it any less of a “sports car”.

I used an example earlier of the C4 Corvette getting more and more refined as the new generations arrived.

I don’t think the C6 is any less of a sports car than a C4 because it’s smoother, has vented seats or less feedback in the steering.

Anyway, I know a lot of people think newer models are less of a sports car because they become more refined but I think the new 981 kicks ***.

No flame, just an opinion....

Mark

Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
navanod will become famous soon enoughnavanod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I think that’s old school thinking... Why do you have to sacrifice convenience, comfort and refinement for a car to have an intimate driver experience?

Just because the new 981 removes the feedback feeling in the steering wheel, I’d hardly say that such a comfort makes it any less of a “sports car”.

I used an example earlier of the C4 Corvette getting more and more refined as the new generations arrived.

I don’t think the C6 is any less of a sports car than a C4 because it’s smoother, has vented seats or less feedback in the steering.

Anyway, I know a lot of people think newer models are less of a sports car because they become more refined but I think the new 981 kicks ***.

Mark
Well said... I agree 100%

Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by orangecrush

Mark
It's all opinion on my end too, obviously, but there are very dramatic differences in the feedback one gets from the new Porsches and the old ones. Differences that I feel make the newer cars uninteresting.

I'll soon be able to evaluate the 997 GT3RS to see if it meets up to the feedback levels that I hope it provides.

I suppose it is old school, luckily a few manufacturers are still catering to me and the used market is full of great, rudimentary sports cars. I just wish Porsche was still making some of these more elemental cars.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wesker
I made an order for this car BECAUSE it is faster, sounds better, and looks better than the previous ....
Then you'll get exactly what you desired. Not to worry.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
It depends what you find more "fun"... I blame all this on the Gtr, a car I owned before... Fast as heck but maybe not as involved... I drove my Gtr on track plenty and in the 4 months I've owned my Boxster spyder I've done 3 track events and another coming up on Sunday (looks like it'll be in the rain too ... The Gtr was fast and smooth and easy to drive... The spyder is a manual, much much much busier steering and easier to thrown around and the smaller wheelbase makes it twitchier... It's a blast and more gratifying

It depends on what you like, I still love the Gtr , but if you want a more raw experience you can get a lotus or a viper or a gt3... Porsche wants to advertise faster laptimes and numbers and a bigger wheelbase and more stability is the way to do that... The steering feel falls into that

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the 987.2, 981 and 991 all in a nice neat row at Downtown Porsche in Toronto. For better or worse you can DEFINITELY see how the 981 has had its curves squared off. Compared the 987.2 and the new 991 you can see the top of the front and rear fenders have been flattened. I guess the the 918 Spyder will have a similar look, but it's very different than the new 991 and the current Cayman/Boxster. Not sure if I like it or not. Still undecided.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by hawc
Here's the 987.2, 981 and 991 all in a nice neat row at Downtown Porsche in Toronto. For better or worse you can DEFINITELY see how the 981 has had its curves squared off. Compared the 987.2 and the new 991 you can see the top of the front and rear fenders have been flattened. I guess the the 918 Spyder will have a similar look, but it's very different than the new 991 and the current Cayman/Boxster. Not sure if I like it or not. Still undecided.

I suspect that it is the angle of the photo or the way the cars are parked but in that photo, the 991 looks massive compared to the 981.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by caveatesq
I suspect that it is the angle of the photo or the way the cars are parked but in that photo, the 991 looks massive compared to the 981.
It's the angle...
The difference in width between a 981 and a 991 is 7 mm. Not even possible to detect in a picture.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hawc
Do you have some strange buyer's remorse or something? The new B/C looks WAAAY better than the old one, has more pwr, etc etc etc; that weird-looking 'bulb' profile is finally gone. I couldn't care less for the 911. Don't worry about it, you made the right choice lol.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tim1137 is on a distinguished road
To comment on the "engine" sound, I personally hate the sound of my 02 Boxsters engine. When Im idling the sound from the engine is not appealing to me, and it makes the car sound broken because you can hear so much mechanical noise. ( no my car doesnt have mechanical problems lol)

Id rather have no engine noise, and only exhaust note

Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Carla Enriquez is on a distinguished road
981 Boxster S

I have owned 986, 987, and 987.2 S's. My current Boxster is the 2011 S with full Fabspeed upgrades and factory short shift kit. I drove the PDK 981. It's all glitzy with upgraded dashboard dials and is certainly roomier. It was slow compared to my current Boxster S. I felt exactly the same as the poster on this thread. There was no "all-of-a-feel" "Boxsterness" to it. It was bland. Same as GT2 v GT3. No soul in GT2. GT3 RS has a monster soul and feel. GT2 RS was bland dull. Bought the GT3 RS. Although some aftermarket upgrades from Fabspeed may give the 981 some personality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster