Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster

Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I had the opportunity to take it out for a 48 hour test drive and I have to say it's drives really nice. The steering felt great, no complaints there. The exhaust can be a bit louder but nothing an aftermarket exhaust can't fix. Picture doesn't do the car justice, it looks so much better in real life.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hawc
BTW, does anyone know the name of the designer at Porsche responsible for the 981 and 991? We can all name Bangle and Walter d'Silva, but what about Porsche?
Ferdinand is the designer's name. There have been some minor refinements since he did the initial design.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by emailadam
Some people made the same complaints when power steering was introduced in a Porsche. They moaned how it wasn't a real Porsche anymore without the heavy steering. That a woman could drive it. These are the same people complaining now.

Who would buy a car with no power steering now?

Anyone????

That's what I thought.
Everyone who bought an Elise.

A mediocre manual steering car has superior feel to the best power steering system. Anyone who doubts it needs to go drive a pre-964 911. They HAVE lost significant feel.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
BTW, does anyone know the name of the designer at Porsche responsible for the 981 and 991? We can all name Bangle and Walter d'Silva, but what about Porsche?
Michael Mauer has been Head of Design at Porsche since 2004.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Agree with Hawc. The new Boxster, likely Cayman and the 918, all share a visual heritage with the GT. A good thing too, the other cars will bet the more luxury vehicles.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
While we're talking about the whole 'design language' thing, I took some shots of a customer's CGT today at the dealership (probably in for a new $35,000 clutch ) and I couldn't help but notice how many design themes have been carried over from this nearly 10 year old design to the new 981!

1) Strong continuous accent line - included integrated spoiler - across the entire back of the car (not through the light I know, but pretty close)

2) Shape of headlight housing in general as well as the look of the projector lamps inside in particular (not stacked I know, but very similar)

3) Relatively flat fenders (no crease, but quite flat compared to the 911 of the time)

4) Door mounted mirrors and flat rear fenders too. And of course the side air intake which you can't see.

Remarkable that the 981 shares so much with the 10 year old CGT and the about to be released 918!

When I first saw the new 981 Boxster, the first thought that came to me was: Mini Carrera GT!!!!!!!!!

I think it is the best looking Porsche currently offered. The Boxster and Cayman will be the driver's Porsche's of the future.

Last edited by empunker; 08-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Enochs is on a distinguished road
I think that I know what he means. I had a 2002 Boxster S which I dearly loved and hadn't found anything that I thought would be any better till the 981 came out. I ponyed up and put my order in and took delivery in Stuttgart at the factory. That was a great experience in itself. We drove all over Germany and I realized that it was a much more comfortable car than the old 986. The term "more refined" kept coming to mind. Now that I have it home and am making the same trips in it that I used to in the '02, something seems to be missing. Whereas the old one wanted to be reveved right up to the read line the new one seems happy at about 4000 rpm. Of course it is still being broken in, so that's a good place to stop, but still it doesn't make me want to go higher. Is it too much power, would I have been better off with the base Boxster, I don't know. The engine sounds like it is ready to be shifted at 4000, maybe it is just the noise it makes. Whatever it is i feel that something is missing. Maybe it will come with time, we'll see.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
At least it isn't a girl car anymore.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Mitter is on a distinguished road
The new 981 is soft. I will stick with my 987.2 Cayman until its to old and I will be moving on to a Lotus. I am really disappointed what Porsche did to the new 981 it isnt Porsche at all.