Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
@orangecrush. Well I WAS intending on buying one. And it's NOT technology.

It's Porschce trying to make the car appeal to broarder market. They are trying to get people into a Porsche that would otherwise be put off by the sportscar experience. In Canada they even try to sell it as a winter car and the kind of car a mom drops kids off to school in (I think I saw that ad).

Is a Zonda, a 458, the SLS, lacking technology? These are cars that use technology, but not at the price of being interesting to drive. They are imperfect, of course they are not DD,s, but there has to be a happy medium.

@tranquility. I drove the McLaren right after the 991 and that car was far more interesting, so I'm not a retro grouch. I love technology, I bought the DSG tranny the first year they came out. I just feel too many manufacturers are creating cars that sacrifice the thrill of driving in the pursuit of numbers and lack of complaints.

Few of us live near a restricted highway, so we NEED cars that are exciting at low speeds too. What's the point of being exciting only at the point that you loose your license?

For the record I have a Vantage V12 as my summer daily driver. It's a car that is much more refined and viceral at the same time, so it can be done. You just have to be willing to sell less cars I guess.

Last edited by black penguin; 07-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by black penguin
@orangecrush. Well I WAS intending on buying one. And it's NOT technology.

To keep this in a friendly conversation, I ask how this is NOT technology? You think Porsche spent millions of dollars on research and design to utilize electric steering for what? So they could charge more?

Any technology gets bucked up against when it comes out, we just get used to it. Remember when ABS brakes came out? OMG, I can remember the people saying what a POS idea it was, blah,blah, blah.... but now we know that ABS performs better and is safer.

All the electronic nannies (which I suspect are on the Vantage also...ABS brakes, traction control, etc, etc) are technology. If they weren't, we'd all be driving cars with the visceralosity of a '69 Chevelle.

It's all what we get use to. If you feel your 150-180K Vantage rides rougher and you can feel the road more, then I guess the 981 is too refined for your driving skills.

I highly doubt that anyone that will buy a 981 is going to drive it and say.... "oh, this thing is too smooth, I should sell it"

Just out of curiosity, did you even drive the 981?

Mark

Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
qhb
qhb is on a distinguished road
a picture is worth a thousand words

When I chatted with the folks at the dealer they said they are pretty much ignore people whom complained about the car being too soft, steering is not chatty, not raw enough, ... as they said these people are minority and most had no intention of buying the car in the first place...and Porsche would be out of business if they build cars these people wanted. Sorry, but I guess sometime the truth hurt.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM
specter113 is on a distinguished road
The look of the 981 is much better to me at least. Finally a Boxster, besides the Spyder, that a guy can buy without second guessing himself. The steering does concern me though. I enjoy the perfect feedback through the steering wheel of my Cayman and would be sad to see that go, even if it still handles as well and has a smoother ride. But it just seems to be another technological advance that we are getting whether we like it or not. And more than likely no one will care in a few years.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
First off you have all heard too much from me on this subject.

@ghb This has been my point all along. Its about making the car appeal to more people, so they can sell more. The 991 is a very capable car, its just that it fel like it is now being built to the same brief as an M3 (also a great car). Or possibly a two door Panamera???

@ Orangecrush I'm no Retro-grouch, I love cars that embrace technology. I bought the DSG the first year they were introduced and knew at that moment the manual was not long for this world.

You don't have to give up the visceral thrill of driving when you embrace technology. Thats a false 'Either Or'.

The 458 (among other cars) has far more ability, technology and character than the 991. So it can be done. People counter that the McLaren has been softened too much. I have driven the McLaren and it is very visceral relative to the 991, but have not driven 458.

The decision to 'soften' the 991, was a decision, not a result. Especially since it lacks any really advanced or new technology beyond the steel pan and aluminum body (the Audi TT did that 2006). The engine is the same (ish), same with the brakes and the PDK (slight upgrade). The manual 7 speed is new though.

The wheel base and track are wider and longer. That is likely the biggest performance advantage, but none of this is why the car is so quiet, why the exterior has had the interesting bits scrubbed off.

For those who bought one, enjoy it, Its an amazing car. I just hate that yet another car manufacturer is watering down the experience in order to sell more product.

For the record, I still rate my orange edition Boxster S as one of my all time favorite cars and one I should have kept. I was also really wanting to LOVE the 991 as I looking to swap out my TT RS and need the occasional rear seats.

Last edited by black penguin; 07-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Hey BP,

I understand where you're coming from about all this. I just don't think it makes that much difference. Once you get use to it, you'll never know the difference.

This is my first Porsche (ownership) so I can't look back and say how much better something else was. I've had Miata's and Corvettes that progressed from one new model to the next and each year I felt like I was in my grandfather's buick. At some point I'd get use to it and forget how much of a bull in a china shop the C4 was compared to a C5, etc, etc.

I'm envious of your orange Boxster. I have looked for one for almost a year and that is what led me to the new 981. I love the way the older Boxster's handled and especially loved the color.

We're all motor heads and love driving... And me personally... I'd drive any one of the cars you've listed.

Cheers!

Mark

PS. I'm not the one that called you Retrogrouch...

First off you have all heard too much from me on this subject.

@ghb This has been my point all along. Its about making the car appeal to more people, so they can sell more. The 991 is a very capable car, its just that it fel like it is now being built to the same brief as an M3 (also a great car). Or possibly a two door Panamera???

@ Orangecrush I'm no Retro-grouch, I love cars that embrace technology. I bought the DSG the first year they were introduced and knew at that moment the manual was not long for this world.

You don't have to give up the visceral thrill of driving when you embrace technology. Thats a false 'Either Or'.

The 458 (among other cars) has far more ability, technology and character than the 991. So it can be done. People counter that the McLaren has been softened too much. I have driven the McLaren and it is very visceral relative to the 991, but have not driven 458.

The decision to 'soften' the 991, was a decision, not a result. Especially since it lacks any really advanced or new technology beyond the steel pan and aluminum body (the Audi TT did that 2006). The engine is the same (ish), same with the brakes and the PDK (slight upgrade). The manual 7 speed is new though.

The wheel base and track are wider and longer. That is likely the biggest performance advantage, but none of this is why the car is so quiet, why the exterior has had the interesting bits scrubbed off.

For those who bought one, enjoy it, Its an amazing car. I just hate that yet another car manufacturer is watering down the experience in order to sell more product.

For the record, I still rate my orange edition Boxster S as one of my all time favorite cars and one I should have kept. I was also really wanting to LOVE the 991 as I looking to swap out my TT RS and need the occasional rear seats.

Last edited by orangecrush; 07-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
PS. I'm not the one that called you Retrogrouch...
That would be me using that term but I'm certainly not calling out anyone in particular as one.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by tranquility
That would be me using that term but I'm certainly not calling out anyone in particular as one.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
All great points BP. Especially this one:

Technology should always make a car more exciting, not less.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry guys, got the names mixed.

Yes, that orange Boxster was an amazing little car. 50 more hp and it would have been perfection. The Alcantara was the perfect interior for a drop top.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Sorry guys, got the names mixed.

Yes, that orange Boxster was an amazing little car. 50 more hp and it would have been perfection. The Alcantara was the perfect interior for a drop top.

Don’t say that... (about the Alcantara) My last car had Alcantara seats and I loved them. I almost got them in the 981 but changed my mind since this will be my daily driver... I hope I don’t regret not getting it.

Mark

Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
emailadam will become famous soon enough
Steering feel

Originally Posted by specter113
The look of the 981 is much better to me at least. Finally a Boxster, besides the Spyder, that a guy can buy without second guessing himself. The steering does concern me though. I enjoy the perfect feedback through the steering wheel of my Cayman and would be sad to see that go, even if it still handles as well and has a smoother ride. But it just seems to be another technological advance that we are getting whether we like it or not. And more than likely no one will care in a few years.
I've driven the 981 on the track and here's how I feel about the steering and also backed up by the pros at:
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/bo...rack-test.html

I've owned a Mazda Protege which had amazing road feel as you describe but it was a pain the butt on long trips. The wheel was very jittery and you felt every small crevice and joint in the road. Maybe that's what the 987 resembles and to me that's just unrefined.

The 981 steering is very enjoyable to drive. Its direct and its precise but you don't need to keep making effort to keep the car going in a straight line puttering around. HOWEVER when you do push the car and increase the pace to something sporting it does stiffen up and it does give you feedback and feel for how the tires are sticking.

If you need to feel sporty on the road doing 25mph because your steering wheel jiggles and bounces then I'm not sure you get the point of what the Boxster if for.

The engineers chose this not because of any weight savings but because this makes it a better car. I agree with them. This is a dual use car. You want it compliant when it matters and luxurious and you want it hard and fast on the track. This car accomplishes both. If you feel that's not a sports car then don't order the psam either or the sport chrono because that's also their purpose to add duality to the driving experience. Do I have it wrong here?

Just my thoughts, Adam

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the Boxster. I have yet to drive THAT car. Loved the old one.

I don't think you need jiggly steering wheel to be getting feedback. What you want is all the relevant information amplified and the noise diminished. But it goes beyond the steering. It's the whole experience.

My AMV12 has one of the best rides/experiences I have ever felt. Lots of info and very precise steering feel, but never too raw, never rough. The idea that it's one or the other is crazy. The 991 was not good, nor bad. The TTRS is an example of too much interference.

Here's a review of the AMV8. This to me is the right balance. After all, you wouldn't want to take the wind out of motorcycling or the volume from Rock and roll.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/reviews/2012...ad-test?page=2

Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Porsche has to become more to everyone. They can't survive selling 911's only... Along came the Boxster, then the cayenne, then the cayman, then the panamera.... Soon the macan

Porsche has to evolve, the Boxster and 911 had to evolve.... I love the raw feeling, but honestly I'd rather have a less raw Porsche than no Porsches at all. People keep complaining about the 997 turbo S being auto only and maybe the upcoming 991 gt3/turbo... But guess what??? We did this to ourselves... We get caught up in 0-60's and ring times and that's what sells sports cars

The 981 and 991 are better for 99% of people ... Your never going to please everyone and if you keep doing the same things you will get left behind in the dust

Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by ShahulX
The 981 and 991 are better for 99% of people ... Your never going to please everyone and if you keep doing the same things you will get left behind in the dust
Exactly and stuff like electric steering, it IS the new technology, more and more manufacturers are going to is and drive by wire, etc, etc.

Can't stop progress whether you like the advances or not.

Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some Disappointing Things About the New 981 Boxster