Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 PM
JuicyJeff is on a distinguished road
Shift Cable

I got the infamous broken shift cable problem. I have warranty, but the stealership is trying to say my B&M short shifter voids it. I am sure it had nothing to do with the cable breaking. How should I approach this situation?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JuicyJeff
I got the infamous broken shift cable problem. I have warranty, but the stealership is trying to say my B&M short shifter voids it. I am sure it had nothing to do with the cable breaking. How should I approach this situation?

Reinstall stock shifter & go to a different dealer &/or buy my 6-speed shift cables when I install my numeric race cables.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM
JuicyJeff is on a distinguished road
I got it figured out at the shop today. He's putting the original shifter in before the inspector arrives. Thanks anyways though and I was thinking about buying those as well if warranty didn't cover it.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Sounds like everything is getting work out. Post up a few pictures of this beast

Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Spyderman2011 is on a distinguished road
Shift cable broken 2011 Boxster Spyder

In the summer of 2013 my 2011 Boxster Spyder had broken down a few blocks before the highway. It was just 1 or 2 months after my warranty had expired. Porsche told me I had to pay since my warranty was out. However, I did mentioned to Porsche about the problem before when many times I shift from 1st to 2nd gear it will make a loud clunking or grinding sound so loud I feel embarrassed others will think I don't know how to drive a manual. I was so scared everytime I shift to 2nd gear I tried to be very very careful to avoid the grinding noise. But no matter how careful many time a it will still make the noise. I mentioned to the Porsche tech before my car broke down but the tech said nothing wrong. I just found this website by accident now in 2016 so I'm gonna try to get my money back.

For more info and a list of people with this problem go to the site below...

http://gotaclassaction.com/porsche-investigated-over-faulty-shifter-cable-in-911-and-cayman-vehicles/

Old 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Shift cable

my shift cable snapped right after warranty. This is a common problem dealer should cover with or without warranty. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that it was common so didn't fight for it.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Spyderman2011
In the summer of 2013 my 2011 Boxster Spyder had broken down a few blocks before the highway. It was just 1 or 2 months after my warranty had expired. Porsche told me I had to pay since my warranty was out. However, I did mentioned to Porsche about the problem before when many times I shift from 1st to 2nd gear it will make a loud clunking or grinding sound so loud I feel embarrassed others will think I don't know how to drive a manual. I was so scared everytime I shift to 2nd gear I tried to be very very careful to avoid the grinding noise. But no matter how careful many time a it will still make the noise. I mentioned to the Porsche tech before my car broke down but the tech said nothing wrong. I just found this website by accident now in 2016 so I'm gonna try to get my money back.

For more info and a list of people with this problem go to the site below...

http://gotaclassaction.com/porsche-i...yman-vehicles/
In order to avoid the grind, you have to drive your rpms past the cam stumble, which is typically somewhere around 3,000 rpms. If you shift at the point of the stumble, it grinds. I'm thinking the load dropping is a contributor.

I had the same issue in my '12 Cayman R and now my '16 Spyder. It's just something you deal with. Luckily 1st gear is so tall in the '16 Spyder you don't mind shifting a little higher. If you want to shift to 2nd in lower rpms, just try to shift while the rpms are still ascending (under load, not flat), and don't rush the shift.

Never thought the cable could make a difference here. Seems it's a load/cam issue. If someone has proof the grind is cable-related I'm all ears.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
In order to avoid the grind, you have to drive your rpms past the cam stumble, which is typically somewhere around 3,000 rpms. If you shift at the point of the stumble, it grinds. I'm thinking the load dropping is a contributor.

I had the same issue in my '12 Cayman R and now my '16 Spyder. It's just something you deal with. Luckily 1st gear is so tall in the '16 Spyder you don't mind shifting a little higher. If you want to shift to 2nd in lower rpms, just try to shift while the rpms are still ascending (under load, not flat), and don't rush the shift.

Never thought the cable could make a difference here. Seems it's a load/cam issue. If someone has proof the grind is cable-related I'm all ears.
Thanks for the tip! So I should shift over 3000rpms everytime? I do notice that many times I shift at 1500, 2000, and usually below 3000 I do hear something grinding but it's a very low grind something my passenger doesn't notice but usually shifting early is due to traffic and I read from some source to not ride on 1st gear too long. However, my car I'm talking about really really loud clunking noise that scare the crap outta me and as I remembered changing at low or high rpm's it happens so I was even more afraid to change at higher rpm's as if it grinds it grinds even louder. Luckily my insurer Geico covered most of the cost to replace the shift cable and the cost to tow my car to he dealer. So after the cable was replaced i don't have a problem shifting too early or late. No more loud grinding and everything seems normal now. Atleast I know the problem is not me it's the car.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
If I shift past the stumble and under some load versus off-throttle, I never get the grind.