Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Detailing prep for new car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
Detailing prep for new car?

My new order has finally hit US shores, and is on its way to dealer. Curious, what do people recommend for detailing when the car is brand new? Do you ask the dealer not to prep (what does dealer prep normally include anyway)? Should I pay a local detailer to do it instead?

I'm also assuming it's safe to detail the car right away, since it's already been on the boat for weeks, and has had plenty of time to dry.

Anything else to think of before car arrives? I've already asked the dealer to be sure not to mount front license plate, and am stocking up on cleaning supplies...

Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I gave strict instructions to my dealer to touch my Cayenne only to remove everything they needed to for the predelivery inspection (like all the protective stickers) and that's all. Then this was my new car prep:

Full front clear bra mask
Tint front two windows to match
Clear bra rear bumper top
Exterior detail with Nanoskin paint sealant
Leatherique on the leather interior (just the seats only and for heavens sake not anywhere else)

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
not sure why a new car would need a "Detail" mine showed up literally brand new and perfect..... i guess some people still put plastic on their couches when they buy em?

what could you possibly prep besides getting rid of any residue from the stickers and that little indent from the port workers large butt?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Tint before or after detailing? Does it matter?

Leatherique on the leather interior (just the seats only and for heavens sake not anywhere else)
Yeah, got the leatherique on order, sonax dashboard for rest of the interior trim, and autoglym for carpet... still debating whether to throw in some 303 too for the other bits

Originally Posted by wa1l1in
not sure why a new car would need a "Detail" mine showed up literally brand new and perfect..... i guess some people still put plastic on their couches when they buy em?

what could you possibly prep besides getting rid of any residue from the stickers and that little indent from the port workers large butt?
Right, it shows up brand new and perfect, and the hope of the detail is to keep it that way Not so much for cleaning, but to put down a good coat of sealant or wax to help protect the paint and easier to maintain down the road.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 AM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
I gave strict instructions to my dealer to touch my Cayenne only to remove everything they needed to for the predelivery inspection (like all the protective stickers) and that's all. Then this was my new car prep:

Does the Leatherique darken or otherwise modify the color of the leather? Does it make sense to use both Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean on new leather (mine is 2 months old)?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM
ddyer248 is on a distinguished road
I also gave my Dealer strict instructions not to run my new 2012 Cayenne S through any car wash system and to do anything besides a hand wash.

My car is actually at the Detailers shop right now, will be polishing with Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500 and then cleaned and prepared with Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Cleaner Glaze and finally waxed with Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax.

My CS is Black and should look outstanding once finished. I hope

I will be picking up on Saturday, if you guys would like I could post some pics.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light

+1
I did the exact same, except I had them install the clear bras as well.
Didn't allow them to touch with a towel just very very very light buff bc I trusted them from past, but I did everything else and I prefer it this way.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM
For those who question why detail a brand new car, here is a perfect example. My Cayenne has less than a 1000 miles on her and has never seen a machine car wash, was not detailed at the dealership and I have used proper washing techniques on it. Here is a picture of panel that show 50% of the paint corrected and what the other 50% looks like. I still have one more polishing step left.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Here is what she looked like being prepped for the polishing. A nice shampoo for her lol

Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 AM
jesh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ddyer248
Here is what she looked like being prepped for the polishing. A nice shampoo for her lol

Amazing pictures!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Wish I could see the pictures, they're not loading for me

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
G123 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this is the right place to post....ah well...the moderator might sent what will be a hopefully a gentle reminder. Can somebody tell me a decent place in Sfo bay area where I can bet a good detailing? Have not found a place yet...talked to the dealers and other Porsche owners....
Thanks
Gopal

Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Gopal, I did the same research as you, and on these forums Bob Willis (justwaxed.net) is pretty universally recommended.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM
mydxb is on a distinguished road
i did mine at dealership before registering it using ProTech http://www.protech.mc/

Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
G123 is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Left a voice mail....
Thanks
Gopal