Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

GTS/Turbo Bumper Swap + Working DRLs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM
ap1922 is on a distinguished road
Curious for those who've done this, what's the total cost for this conversion vs going with the SportDesign Package?

I was really looking for a GTS, but we found a killer deal on a '17 S E-Hybrid with only 8K miles on it and cost difference was 20K-25K less than the GTS options I was finding with double the miles. Wife preferred us to get the E-Hybrid as well, I was open to either, but really love the look of the GTS. We're saving enough that I was planning to get the SportDesign Package and have it painted to get rid of those black plastic lower trim pieces I can't stand (Cayenne is white), but wanted to get an idea on what the cost would be getting the actual GTS bumper. Look is very similar, but slightly more aggressive/sporty on the GTS.

Cost for the SportDesign kit with side skirts is around $4200 and then I'm guessing around $1000-$1500 to have it painted so I'm guessing $5500-$6K all in to go that route.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:05 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ap1922
Curious for those who've done this, what's the total cost for this conversion vs going with the SportDesign Package?

I was really looking for a GTS, but we found a killer deal on a '17 S E-Hybrid with only 8K miles on it and cost difference was 20K-25K less than the GTS options I was finding with double the miles. Wife preferred us to get the E-Hybrid as well, I was open to either, but really love the look of the GTS. We're saving enough that I was planning to get the SportDesign Package and have it painted to get rid of those black plastic lower trim pieces I can't stand (Cayenne is white), but wanted to get an idea on what the cost would be getting the actual GTS bumper. Look is very similar, but slightly more aggressive/sporty on the GTS.

Cost for the SportDesign kit with side skirts is around $4200 and then I'm guessing around $1000-$1500 to have it painted so I'm guessing $5500-$6K all in to go that route.
I got a sport Design replica kit for $1000 shipped from Alibaba. Great quality and perfect fitment.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:45 PM
ap1922 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by galion
I got a sport Design replica kit for $1000 shipped from Alibaba. Great quality and perfect fitment.
Didn't think about that option. Any link and any pics of finished project you can share?

Last edited by ap1922; 06-23-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:56 AM
Registered PM
paul porsche is on a distinguished road
Hello Blacksarena! everything ok with the wiring conversion? not eny fault codes? i have done the same conversion and i dont have any warning in the cluster but i have passive fault for market light right !

Old 02-18-2022, 12:09 PM
Andrew Cayenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Very important .
Hello to everybody !!
I would like to say a few things about this subject that have not been said and I can help other people.
For about a year I bought a porsche cayenne 3.0 Diesel with this modification or with Turbo / GTS bumper.
The previous owner fitted the plug in daytime running lights without making any wiring changes.
Result after a few months: 1 body computer (BCM1) fused and the wiring leading to the daytime running lights BURNT!!!!!!!.
Why did this happen?
Simple: if you see the wiring diagram already published in previous posts, the Cayenne diesel wiring has 4 PINs, one of which is negative (Pin number 4 is ground).
The daylight pins instead has two negatives (2 grounds - number 4 and number 2) and obviously two positives.

Result ? The parking light crosses the negative (pin 2) and this means that every time you put the packing lights on it always short circuit !!!!
The BCM1 ( body computer ) has a fuse of 30 ampere , too high for save situation about a possible short circuit of daylight turbo lamp.

Now, with the modification you described this does not happen because pin 2 of the machine goes to pin 3 which meets the positive cable.
But if people does not know it and assembles the kit without modifying the wiring, they risks serious !!!!!

An important thing to say is resistor for daylight : you must never isolate a heating element in the wiring but put it in a small aluminum container to disperse the heat.
I did the test of how hot the 10 watt resistor suggested in the old posts is.
It does not heat up very much (about 40 degrees Celsius) but it is always better not to isolate it in the wiring without protection.
This always applies to all resistors.
I hope this post will be useful for anyone who wants to make this change.
Sorry if I got bored but I wanted to share with you my bad experience..
Thank you to all .

Ciao !

Old 02-18-2022, 12:28 PM
Dear Paul
Sorry If I open this matter only now , but can you confirm if was BCM1 the problem for this light turn fault ? (the same for me before make this wiring cable )
Porsche dealer confirm that BCM1 was the problem of turn light due continue short circuit of turbo lamps caused the breaking of a part of electrical circuit of body computer.
THank you for your attention.
Ciao

Old 02-18-2022, 11:34 PM
alex_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Andrew, thanks for sharing! I am also considering this upgrade, as I have the GTS lights with the LEDs installed but not wired yet to the DRL bar in my 2012 Cayenne S. Attached is the wiring diagram for the 2011-2015 Cayenne S bumper lights. So wiring the GTS LEDs into the stock Cayenne S harness will put too much stress on the electrical circuit in the long run?

Old 02-19-2022, 03:23 AM
Ciao Alex
Thank you for your message.
I have enclosed this diagram already posted but more clear where you can see stressing problem of BCM1 with follow consideration without any wiring change :

a) when you turn on engine , day light not start since connection pin are correct ( PIN 3 to PIN 3 ) but BCM read less watt power so stop this fuction . This is reason that it's necessary a resistor of 10 W /75 ohms as explained better from previous posts. This is not very dangerous but this is first matter of BCM stress if you take car every day.

b) when you use turn lights ( PIN 1 ) you haven t any problem since connection PIN 1 meet Pin 1 of turbo lights so connection are fine like you can see on diagram.

c) when you turn packing light or you can use low beam light THIS IS MAIN PROBLEM : you can immagine the short circuit since PIN 2 connect with Pin 2 GROUND NEGATIVE and close with pin 4 NEGATIVE the circuit.
You have immediately an error not only for missing connection : BCM1 see this short circuit and with their protection close immediately the function in order to avoid dangerous situation .
But after few month or many many times that you use light this BCM1 protection can t loose since broke their internal connection due strong stressing and in this situation you can have problem with all lights ( turn lights , head lights - front lights etc ) . In this situation you must NOT continue to USE car but only check or change BCM1 in Porsche Home for solve problem so avoid serious problem like cable burned (fire risks is minimal but there is in particular situation )

d) I am very surprised that any seller of this kit is able to advise to change wiring but they reassure that it's simple connection
Plug in like original . This is not true , I can confirm it's necessary to change wiring connection not only for use all lights but
also for safety reason .

e) the wiring cable solution offered on previous post is good , I suggest only to not put resistor on same clable since it must cool down
if using for much time ( like a trip of many hours ) ...but this is the minor problem.

I am also sure that people that use turbo light without any modification have or are having problems without realizing it .

After received this damage in my car , I have investigate so I have checked old BCM damage and replace and check turbo lights.

Pls see photos of my BCM , you can see very easy damage near light chip .... this is incredible due this BCM has a FUSE external of 30A but this
is too high for save BCM components...

Hope to help you and many people with this.

Thank you for your time.
Ciao

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cayenne_s_to_gts_drl 2 (1).pdf (32.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 03:39 AM
Dear Alex
If you have GTS light with 4 led , you need only to take daylight cable to GTS head light directly and connect packing led cable to PIN 3 of bumper light in oder to have a perfect fit .

I know that you must dismantle bumper for this operation ....but you save your BCM so about 1000 usd for replace.
Ciao

Old 02-19-2022, 06:27 AM
Hello Andrew, thanks a million, that is one comprehensive insight!
If I read you correct, I can still however without a problem use the Cable 3 (BRN) and Cable 4 (YEL/BLU) from the auxiliary headlights (on Cayenne S the DRL bar under the headlights) and connect those cables to the 4-led GTS lights?
To clarify, my headlamps have the 4-led as a separate, extra connection. Thanks for your feedback!

Originally Posted by Andrew Cayenne
Dear Alex
If you have GTS light with 4 led , you need only to take daylight cable to GTS head light directly and connect packing led cable to PIN 3 of bumper light in oder to have a perfect fit .

I know that you must dismantle bumper for this operation ....but you save your BCM so about 1000 usd for replace.
Ciao

Old 02-19-2022, 06:56 AM
Hello Alex
Your situation is more easy and safety since YOU have original Headlight TURBO /GTS with 4 leds (DRL ) but you keep same auxiliary original DRL of Cayenne S .
So if you connect YEL / BLUE to Headlight LEFT as extra connection for 4 Leds DRL you have the perfect connection without stess for BCM unit.
In particular you will active following

a) DRL in headlight GTS ( you loose DRL on original auxliary light of course)
b) parking lights on auxiliary DRL CAYENNE S as original status.

IF in the future you will change also bumper wiht auxiliary light of TURBO /GTS ( This is was problem showed at first of post ) , pls remember that you will change wiring in the new lamp.

Have a nice day Alex.
Ciao

Old 02-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Hello Andrew, your detailed feedback is very much appreciated! I will pass by an independent body shop this week and ask them to take the Cayenne S front bumper off and rewire the 4 dot LEDs as outlined by you.
I assume the black cable from my headlights would be ground BRN (Cable 3 in the diagram), and connecting YEL / BLUE (Cable 4 in the diagram) to headlight's yellow (or red) cable for the 4-dot LED...
Thanks again for pointing out the BCM issue, best regards from Lisbon!

Last edited by alex_f; 02-21-2022 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:19 AM
Done, Andrew, thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 12-30-2023, 09:04 PM
White fish is an unknown quantity at this point
prevoius owner

it seems the previous owner of my 2011 Cayenne S tried to fit a Turbo/GTS bumper and now my wires are burnt up