Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 IPD Plenum install DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
958 IPD Plenum install DIY

A few months back, I decided to upgrade the IPD Plenum based on recommendations from respected 6speed and Rennlist forum members.

While the results are subjective, the install was far more painful than others i've done so far.

I was unable to find any good DIY's on the subject so i will attempt to chronicle my install for others to better understand.
There was certainly many lessons learned along the way.
I wish i knew then, what i know now.

Do i think it worked...hard to tell at all speeds, but acceleration at various points feels a touch quicker.

Anyways...on to the DIY

New IPD Plenum. Make sure you retain the small stainless 'block' as it is required to plug a hole when assembling the tubing to the new plenum.

Evidently the IPD Plenum design and dimples somehow improve air flow.

Start by removing the small cover just above the stock plenum. This step also resulted in my first mess up so pay attention to the next pic (below).

When you remove this piece, there are small rubber pieces that hold this unit in place, securing itself to the below piece (barely visible on upper portion of next pic). If you pull too quickly, they will become discharged to unknown areas of your garage....trust me. Lesson learned #1. I lost both of mine. This is a $500 cover, with .10 rubber pieces to secure to the motor.

1) Disconnect the Bosch sensor in upper left portion of stock plenum. 2) Pull out the 2 plastic 'bolts' that secure the stock plenum located in the middle of the above pic. 3) Loosen the clamps at either end of the stock plenum (silver looking clamp things above).

The flexible tubing that connects the stock plenum is pliable but yet difficult to move. Take your time and go slow to 'pop' both sides out gently.

Lesson learned #2: Ran into some serious trouble here. Caution...

I could not disconnect the tubing from underneath the plenum. Evidently your should squeeze a certain area to allow the two to separate. In my case, they were stuck together like cement. Yup...it ended up breaking.

The cheap *** plastic from stock plenum broke off within the tubing (middle of pic, left hole inside the red area)......Fast forward a bit, once you reinstall, the small stainless 'block' that came with the IPD Plenum goes in the right hole in the tubing. It is a really tight fit. Just go slow...

The plastic piece that should have popped/slid right out....did not. Obviously, its missing in the middle of the stock plenum above. It used to be around 3/4" extruding from the plenum.

Here it is....you can somewhat see the aftermath of what was left after working on pulling it out with a pliers. I spent 30 minutes because i was ticked off at this point thinking it got the best of me. Never was able to remove it....not that it mattered at this point though

Made a quick order to a Porsche parts dealer. I should have known...it was not available anywhere in the country. Therefore, requiring a special rush order from Germany..... At this point, i missed a few pics but removal and reinstall of the above part was pretty straight forward.

The new IPD Plenum installed nicely. Lesson Learned #3: Be careful with pushing the Plenum on as it is a tight spot (believe it or not). Secondly, there are some small pieces on the new Plenum that stick out on the bottom. If you just jam it in and push, your likely to break some plastic pieces meant to secure rubber lines running underneath.

Don't forget to reinstall the above piece to the new Plenum.

Nearly complete. Last step is to reinstall the $500 cover, as long as you didn't have the small rubber pieces pop off and get lost like i did! Without them, the cover will not secure to the motor.
Unfortunately, still working on procuring little rubber pieces...

Overall do i regret it.....no.
I still like doing my own work, even though i could easily pay someone.
I like a challenge, and boy did i have one above.

Does it work?
I can say that it doesn't hurt. I 'think' i feel something but hard to tell since i have been a bit pessimistic from the overall install.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
As always, if my DIY helped you and you were able to install based on the above, please consider posting/sharing.

Also, feel free to add to my 'reputation' with rep points if you like it

Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Nice write up. Won't help me, but thanks none the less.

Interesting to see the rubber grommets appear to be on the motor rather than the trim piece. They are on the trim for the diesel, but still just as easy to lose

I don't know about any performance gains, but it certainly looks better than the factory part

Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
Nice write up. Won't help me, but thanks none the less.

Interesting to see the rubber grommets appear to be on the motor rather than the trim piece. They are on the trim for the diesel, but still just as easy to lose

I don't know about any performance gains, but it certainly looks better than the factory part
Ha! Looks has got to count for something!
Thanks gnat.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Wow.. I had my installed. Had no idea it would require that amount of preciseness.
Im sure your DIY will be appreciated by others.
Since I was not influenced by the install, I must say I'm aware of the before and after.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
mmdht2 will become famous soon enoughmmdht2 will become famous soon enough
i don't care what the other guys say, you did good in my book. it's very pretty. hope you get the performance gain as well.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the very thorough and detailed write up!

This only further adds to your status here - we should be able to bestow the title of 'DIY GURU' to you

- Jason

Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 PM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mmdht2
i don't care what the other guys say, you did good in my book. it's very pretty. hope you get the performance gain as well.
+1 great write up!

And performance wise, if you know your CT well, you will definitely notice the difference.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback!
It makes the extra time and effort to write up - worth it.

Of course, thanks to Jason at HOUSE Motorsport for the great pricing on the IPD Plenum!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Nice writeup. Thanks for taking the time and sharing. What is the cost of the IPD plenum? Any objective performance improvement stats? I remember reading about doing this a couple years ago but didn't try it then.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nhirsch
Nice writeup. Thanks for taking the time and sharing. What is the cost of the IPD plenum? Any objective performance improvement stats? I remember reading about doing this a couple years ago but didn't try it then.
Current retail pricing on the IPD Plenum is $795.00 + Shipping

http://ipdplenums.com/products/plenu...-cayenne-turbo

I'd be glad to extend the exclusive 6Speed forum member pricing to you as well - please check your PMs!

- Jason

Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM
iczer34 will become famous soon enoughiczer34 will become famous soon enough
I'll take a stab at it later this week! Thank you for the great DIY, I will try to learn from your "mistakes" and be extra cautious

Also, Jason @ House Motorsports extended an awesome price for the IPD Plenum. Great person to work with!

Old 11-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Great.....make sure you add any tips/tricks to help further improve this DIY.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Jason, IPD 6 speed member price? I'm local to you. Can you pm me that price if it's still available