Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne diesel S V8TT

Old 02-04-2018, 02:43 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Cayenne diesel S V8TT

Hi 6Speeders,
I didn't found anything on the Cayenne Diesel S V8 here.
Do some of you run it?
Please share you thoughts about it.
Thxs

P.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Seeing no answer at all I made a search: it seems US didn't had the chance to enjoy this V8 TT engine, sorry guys!
It's a pain because the 627lbs/ft are truly addictive!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Tom_T will become famous soon enough
Bonjour P.,

No, we could only read the articles, see the road tests, etc. and longed for Porsche to send them here to the USA, but in their infinite wisdom they never have.

Of course, it may have also had the Diesel-gate emissions control cheating problem here too, or at least looked at closely to make sure it didn't have a cheat.

I also didn't want you to think that all Americans are rude & won't reply to another international member's post!

Au revoir!
Tom
///////

Old 02-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tom_T
Bonjour P.,

No, we could only read the articles, see the road tests, etc. and longed for Porsche to send them here to the USA, but in their infinite wisdom they never have.

Of course, it may have also had the Diesel-gate emissions control cheating problem here too, or at least looked at closely to make sure it didn't have a cheat.

I also didn't want you to think that all Americans are rude & won't reply to another international member's post!

Au revoir!
Tom
///////
Hey Tom, bonsoir!

Yes I opened this thread just before buying one, and was hoping for some infos.
I only realised after that no one could help me here!
But nevermind I'm mostly present on the 997TT forum and don't think you are rude guys! I even had the chance to build some cool friendship with americans through 6spd!

We also have our "Dieselgate" in France but it permited me to afford this wonderfull machine for a good price.
People tend to go to the engine "downsizing" and our governement is killing the diesel, the automotive "gold age" is past
I usually prefer petrol supercharged engines (see my other cars) but I believe turbo diesel is cool for an heavy daily SUV regarding early torque and mileage.

Merci pour ta réponse!
Pascal

Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Hey Pascal,

I think the UK & other Euro-land owners may have some V8 TDI Cayenne TS owners who could share their experiences & issues to look after on yours.

We've been looking off-and-on for a 2008-10 557 or 2011-14 558 Cayenne S with the normally aspirated gasoline/petrol V8 as an "extra car" and to tow our vintage 1960 Avion T20 travel trailer (looks similar to Airstream, & ours is the #2 T20 built) to vintage trailer/RV rallies, car shows, etc., & to tow my 73 914-2.0 "914-S" (2nd owner since 1975) to shops for it's resto & then to our PCA Concours to show.

So it's main use will use the power & torque in towing, but the V6 TDI's got caught up in the Dieselgate, & my long time Porsche Tech doesn't think that Porsche & VW will support them long term (I tend to hang onto my cars for a long time). So even the newly "fixed" diesels here are off my list.

Unfortunately, Porsche's cavalier attitude toward admitting & fixing their engineering screw-ups (IMS, 955 Cayenne V8 plastic coolant pipes, 2011-12 Cayenne & Panamera Cam-Adjuster bolt failures, Dieselgate, etc.) are turning us off on the Cayenne, & I haven't had time to search since last October, when a sale of a nice 2012 CS fell through (it was built after the bolts were changed).

I agree about the classic car period being gone, and while they may be able to create similar horsepower & torque curves with turbo &/or super charging - it gets pretty hard for the ears listening to an engine running at higher revs all the time, especially on long trips under load.

We may be towing our Avion for 500 - 5000+ miles, over very steep mountain passes, into headwinds, etc. here in the vast USA, so we'd be brain dead after a few minutes or hour. We tried several times towing with a gas/petrol V6 4.0L Nissan Pathfinder, but it was constantly hunting gears on not too steep 8% maximum freeway slopes, let alone continuously droning at 55-65 mph.

So we passed on the V6 Cayenne idea, toyed with the V6 TDI before Dieselgate hit, & see no reason to go for the Cayenne Turbo or TS since the normally aspirated V8 CS is plenty of power to tow without extra noise, nor the turbos' lower gas mileage when towing & around town.

Maybe Porsche will eventually bring the V8 TDI like yours to the States, but I'm not holding my breathe. I think that they would sell well here, given the the vastness & propensity of Americans to buy other diesel V8s from Ford, Chevrolet/GMC, Dodge/RAM, etc. & Nissan has introduced one in the last year or so as well.

Anyway, I'll see what 2008-14 CS's are available with low miles & good condition in a few months, after we get our home restoration project done or nearly so.

Best Wishes!
Tom
///////

Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 AM
TXCOMT is on a distinguished road
Sorry for a little thread drift, OP, as this reply is to Tom...yep, we love our CPO '14 S, the last of the V8s! Such a great ride with PASM and air; it makes our first Cayenne, an '11 base, quite forgettable in comparison. I do hope you'll find one...I've got nothing but praise for it!

TXCOMT

Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanx TXCOMT,

We don't want the air suspension since it will be harder to keep up over time after mandatory parts support expires at 15 years old, but otherwise we do like the CS over Toyota etc. options. We may just look more for the `13-14 ones when I start looking again.

Since I tend to keep, maintain & drive my cars - I still own cars #3, 4 & 5 & the CS would be only #6 since I bought my 1st car in 1969 - the long term upkeep of the CS will be better for us in the long run with steel sprung suspension in our case .... if the electronics & computers hold out that is!

The other big complaint we have with Porsche & Cayennes - other than the not taking care of engineering defects promptly - is that their color choices suck - especially when compared to other P-cars & most other high end SUV competitors' choices. It's not like Porsche cannot offer just about any ridiculous option & tweak on most any P-car - in cluding customer selected colors!

Our Zone 8 PCA Cay owners had even said that they were turned down by Porsche for a paint to sample on their `13 CT of a 911/997 or 991 color!

I mean really! .... REALLY Porsche!

And now in the 17 or 18 MY they finally offer a nice blue that isn't almost black - but the normally aspirated V8 CS's are NLA!

.... REALLY Porsche!

Sorry for the highjack or sidejack Pascal.

I posted the info above as a warning to anyone here in the USA or elsewhere to NOT buy one nor drive your own 2011-12 V8 Cayenne or Panamera until & unless Porsche completed the AH08 Recall fix for the Cam-Adjuster defective bolts.

Porsche downplays the AH08 recall consequences as a "Stalling Problem" - when it's actually a loss of the power steering & brakes when the pressure pump goes &/or loss of fuel & engine stops running depending on which or both sides bolts break - & very dangerous in traffic, at speed &/or on curvy roads; in addition to possibly destroying a $30-35,000 motor when it breaks due to both the piston-valve interference collisions &/or from bolt fragments running through the motor.

Moreover, after denying the recall here in the USA since they found out in 2012 & issued recalls in China & Japan - Porsche has been dragging their feet on customer repairs since AH08 was issued in June `17, saying parts were unavailable, while fast-tracking repairs of used/PO Cays & Panas in dealer stock - in several instances causing catastrophic failures to many owners P-cars!

That is just BS & bad customer relations!

If you own a 2011-12 Cayenne or Panamera with ANY of the gas/petrol V8's, then you should read the other topic on the Cam Adjuster failures at the link below. It was largely due to members here & active on that topic, which got the NTSB to force the AH08 Recall on Porsche.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368#recalls360

And then there's also the Transfer Case problem to look for on ALL 958 Cayennes .... So Pascal, look at this one for your TDI V8 CS.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-replaced.html

Be aware, be smart & be proactive with your P-cars.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM
I saw the thread about the transfer case and took the extended warranty!

I just received and bolt the Blue Spark box today...
Wow the wagon was already fast, it seems now 200kg lighter!

Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, I took my Vbox from my 911 to the Cayenne today: (all in kph of course!)
Notice NO break launching to preserve my transfer case.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	521771  

Last edited by K24F; 03-04-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Hey Pascal,

Is there anything coming to dealers soon from Porsche Europe in the way of a new version Cayenne Diesel in either V8 or V6?

According to my longtime Porsche Tech who started out with the largest VW/Audi/Porsche dealer in his home country Austria (I don't know the name) & then here in SoCal USA at Circle Porsche until he started his own shop in 1972 (he's a factory trained 914 expert, which was how I got to him when I looked for & bought my 73 914-2.0 in 1975) - he told me to stay away from the 2013-15 V6 TDI Cayennes which are now coming up for sale after the DieselGate workout.

He thinks that Porsche will support them for awhile during the extended CPO Warranties which they're selling them with under the US-EPA & California CARB emissions settlement, but will then wash their hands of them afterwards.

Since he knows that I keep my cars long term, he felt it was a bad match for me, even though all of his VA, Audi & Porsche customers with that line of V6 TDIs love them, & he thinks that they're an engineering marvel.

Best!
Tom
///////