Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Retrofit/Conversion: Cayenne Turbo to Cayenne Turbo S - E81 PowerKit [PICS]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Camp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I think I already said it - just over 40K. I also only use the best 93 octane fuel I can find in my area. It is not uncommon for DFI cars to benefit from an intake cleaning every 30K miles - due to the design. There was some rumblings about this when Porsche first introduced DFI. The benefit of DFI is greater efficiency and power output.
Thanks for answering that. I see you did post that earlier and I missed it. What is sad is that I went back through the thread looking for that info before I posted my question, after I thought to ask it . Sorry about that.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Camp
Thanks for answering that. I see you did post that earlier and I missed it. What is sad is that I went back through the thread looking for that info before I posted my question, after I thought to ask it . Sorry about that.
Hahaha.. no worries- it is a long thread. Glad to engage like-minded people.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
bdtzmaru is on a distinguished road
No worries.

First of all, from what I have seen, the only reports of broken coolant pipes are from the 4.5L , 955 V8. They changed to the 4.8L V8 for the 957. Not sure if this was a new motor built from scratch or a modified 955 V8. The 4.8 has a different fuel delivery system, different heads, different cams, and different intake manifold. Given the fact that Porsche is still using this engine in the 958, I am assuming they have addressed this well-known problem.

Secondly, like you, I decided to try to take a peek The coolant pipes do not look the same as they do in the 955. A couple were metal, but a couple looks like it could be made of some composite. I can take some closer pics if you want. Either way, it is impossible to tell its integrity or composition by just looking at it installed. I would have to cut them open or have them pressure testing on a bench before I could say anything for certain.

Lets hope I am not the first case of 957 coolant pipe burst

No need to go through all that trouble for the coolant pipes. I'm just glad it was addressed and changed!

Though, your pictures are making me worried about the buildup around the valves. Mine has very similar mileage to yours. Hopefully by running only Chevron with Techron gas, the build up won't be as bad?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bdtzmaru
Though, your pictures are making me worried about the buildup around the valves. Mine has very similar mileage to yours. Hopefully by running only Chevron with Techron gas, the build up won't be as bad?
I wouldn't worry too much about the intake valve buildup. Most, if not all, DFI cars will have this type of buildup on the intake valves to some extent. Only if you notice moderate power loss should you begin to be concerned.

In that case, the first step will probably be a fuel system cleaner like Techron. Supposedly, this is what some Porsche dealers use. If that doesn't address it, then they might pull the intake manifold or possibly even the heads for complete cleaning.

In any event, I would not put too much trust in good gas and fuel system cleaner to prevent the buildup. I still plan on using Techron more often as as some basic level preventative maintenance to help mitigate the issue. I am sure it will do some good, however, the amount is hard to quantify from the outset.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 08-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
digitaljok is on a distinguished road
My understanding with DFI engines is that Techron doesn't have a chance to clean the valves because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. So an eventual manual cleaning will be the only way to get the carbon deposits off the valves. Those pictures are a little disheartening because I've got similar mileage (46k) on a '09 CTTS.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by digitaljok
My understanding with DFI engines is that Techron doesn't have a chance to clean the valves because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. So an eventual manual cleaning will be the only way to get the carbon deposits off the valves.
I actually had a similar thought. Think about it this way- the buildup is soft and gummy, not hard carbon deposits. This corroborates that this is vaporized gas settling on the back of the intake valves from the combustion chamber- or the buildup wouldn't be there. So if the vaporized gas is managing to get to the back of the valves, then vaporized gas + techron would get there as well. So it should have some affect on the issue. Once again, how much is up for debate.

Originally Posted by digitaljok
Those pictures are a little disheartening because I've got similar mileage (46k) on a '09 CTTS.
Yeah.. I hear you - ignorance is bliss.

If it is any consolation, removing the intake manifold is really easy and a total DIY for this engine. Since we do not have to worry about removing a fuel rail, the intake manifold can be removed within 30 minutes.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
s4treg is on a distinguished road
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I've been burning to ask. Has anyone explored these options on the S or GTS? Larger throttle bodies, larger intake manifolds, etc....I understand without the Turbo's forcing air I won't see gains as big...but if i couple all this with a new tune, it would make a difference just as it does on your Turbo no? Does anyone know if I could for instance upgrade to the Turbo manifold, does it marry up just as you are doing with the Turbo S manifold? These are standard upgrades that other tuners do...porting and polishing the manifold...just wondering if it couldn't be something that I could also explore. Anyway... sorry for this on here, I really enjoy watching and reading all you've done RenaissanceMan, you've inspired me.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
Nice! sub'd I had a chance to buy an 09 4.8 turbo engine with 20k miles out of a recked CTT in Montenegro, but the cost of doing the transplant would be too much, and if I were to do it, I'd swap it with a CTTS engine (there were 2 CTTS' recked that I heard of in SRB in the last 2 years) But now I'm considering a CTT engine upgrade with 4K to make it a CTTS

Originally Posted by s4treg
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I've been burning to ask. Has anyone explored these options on the S or GTS? Larger throttle bodies, larger intake manifolds, etc....I understand without the Turbo's forcing air I won't see gains as big...but if i couple all this with a new tune, it would make a difference just as it does on your Turbo no? Does anyone know if I could for instance upgrade to the Turbo manifold, does it marry up just as you are doing with the Turbo S manifold? These are standard upgrades that other tuners do...porting and polishing the manifold...just wondering if it couldn't be something that I could also explore. Anyway... sorry for this on here, I really enjoy watching and reading all you've done RenaissanceMan, you've inspired me.
+1 to that.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
great thread. vastly diff eng config between yours and my 4.5 ctt motor.
that thing is going to fly, get vids.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I've been burning to ask. Has anyone explored these options on the S or GTS? Larger throttle bodies, larger intake manifolds, etc....I understand without the Turbo's forcing air I won't see gains as big...but if i couple all this with a new tune, it would make a difference just as it does on your Turbo no? Does anyone know if I could for instance upgrade to the Turbo manifold, does it marry up just as you are doing with the Turbo S manifold? These are standard upgrades that other tuners do...porting and polishing the manifold...just wondering if it couldn't be something that I could also explore.
Its cool - no worries. Swapping out higher-flow OEM parts sure is better than having to get something port, polished, and port-matched. Never quite sure what you have..even on a flowbench.

I have a "spare" Turbo manifold and throttle body if someone wanted to push the envelope on the S/GTS

Anyway... sorry for this on here, I really enjoy watching and reading all you've done RenaissanceMan, you've inspired me.
GREAT! That is what is should be about. The cayenne subsection needs more progressive mods. Let me know if I can help you somehow /thumbsup

Originally Posted by X5X
But now I'm considering a CTT engine upgrade with 4K to make it a CTTS

Originally Posted by cuemaster
great thread. vastly diff eng config between yours and my 4.5 ctt motor.
that thing is going to fly, get vids.
Thanks! I was thinking about videos, but I just posted a fairly involved vid about a month ago here. Will have another video when I go to the quarter-mile track this season.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 08-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Update:

I am fairly pleased with the results of my intake valve cleaning. I am sure I managed to restore a few more ponies into my stable. I ending up using a set of brass pipe cleaners with a hex end, which was inserted in a 6" hex extender and finally into a hand tool. See pics:

Hex-bit Pipe Cleaner Set

Before....

After!!!

Old spark plugs looked pretty good. Changed them anyway with 1-step colder Denso IK22 plugs (gapped to 0.8mm) since I will be about 150hp over stock

Almost there... New manifold and throttle body sitting in new home...

COMPLETE!!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Initial Impressions:

ECU is still learning... Pulls REALLY hard after 4500 RPMs to redline 7200 RPMs. More instant torque snap and chassis twisting when stepping on the accelerator. On my test drive back home, it chirped second with PSM on when downshifting to mid 4K - wow! Kind of scared me b/c I used to have to push it hard with PSM off to get that kind of response.

My CTT(S) is really turning into a beast now

Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 AM
silverbullet69 is on a distinguished road
Looks nice and sounds even better. Whats next Air flow upgrade? any dyno or better still QTR mile trips planned?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Its cool - no worries. Swapping out higher-flow OEM parts sure is better than having to get something port, polished, and port-matched. Never quite sure what you have..even on a flowbench.

I have a "spare" Turbo manifold and throttle body if someone wanted to push the envelope on the S/GTS
Can you PM me? I'm interested. I'll shoot you my email. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM

It's just...beautiful. You have to get this car in a magazine so more of the world can see it. I've never seen an individual without going with a "package" (TechArt, etc) do this much work, on their own, to a Cayenne.

Myself, I wouldn't have the courage to try most of these things, not to mention time and funds. I'm beyond happy to see someone like you doing this so the rest of us can see and learn. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Retrofit/Conversion: Cayenne Turbo to Cayenne Turbo S - E81 PowerKit [PICS]