Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Retrofit/Conversion: Cayenne Turbo to Cayenne Turbo S - E81 PowerKit [PICS]

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Wow,high five..I like
Impressive job showing your turbo who is charge,and making it your biatch
Did not think it was possible to open up and work on these newer engines,with all their 'high-tech' components
Kudos,respect...and thanks for sharing
Thanks! I am quite stubborn and determined to do things my way - for better or worse

Originally Posted by pepper09tt
I never was into mods..or so I thought
Caught the bug a few months ago and decided to go with it

I believed my pepper to be complete..However,after reading this great thread,I am intrigued
Welcome to the darkside! You NEED more power!! I try to downplay most of my mods to people who are not "enthusiasts". Sadly, I recognize that most people are as interested in their cars as their kitchen dishwashers - just another appliance

Originally Posted by Panzer
An AOS I believe to be good insurance as it would catch the oil in the can rather than it being sucked back through the intake. Preventing the oil from coating the intercoolers would help keep the intercoolers working at peak efficiency and thus maintaining a cooler air charge.
Keeping the oil out of the intake track, post intercooler, would keep the oil from being sucked into the intake plenum, coating that, and pushed through the heads and back into the combustion chamber fouling all sorts of stuff along the way. This could cause a propensity for knock and the ECU to pull timing in response. At the least, performance would be lost and at the extreme, knock would mean blown pistons.
Getting aggressive with timing, boost and fuel curves may exaggerate this scenario.
Your scenario sounds completely plausible, but unlikely since most people are WELL under the factory specs for oil consumption for this vehicle. I have the exact specs on my other desktop, but Porsche states something like "1 Quart every 600 miles is normal" - which is staggeringly high since I am getting about 6.5 times OVER that number while making 50% more power. Considering that the about 1 qt / 600 mile is listed as safe, I think it is reasonable to assume that the engine/intake tract was designed to tolerate atleast this level of oil consumption safely.

Tranny cooler is a very good idea considering the power increase. Wonder why there isn't one from the factory?
The Cayenne's do have a factory standalone tranny cooler as standard (especially with that high tow rating). My point is that I am making MUCH more power than the stock cooler was designed to dissipate, so I wanted to add another cooler inline to the stock cooler.

I believe you have a TD04 turbo? The only experience I have with them is in the Subaru community. If the two designs are similar, you would be looking at about 1.2 bar or about 17.5 psi max. After that the snail may be out of it's efficiency range.
Thanks and you are right. There seems to be alot of variations on this TD04, so I cannot find the exact map for the model in the Cayenne. However, extrapolating from other variants, I think you are right on the money. I think 17-18 is all she's got. Good thing I only want 18 psi then, huh?

Originally Posted by gr8ful
First, Porsche put a warning on techron. They recommend an oil change within 500 miles of using techron citing some problems with techron eating the bearings!
Hmm.. interesting. However, Techron is a fuel additive, not an oil additive. So it should have nothing to do with an oil change. Fuel is "returnless" and is burned (or unburned) and exits through with the exhaust gases from the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by gr8ful
Second, the CTT comes stock with a transmission cooler.

If anyone knows of a better aftermarket transmission cooler, I am all ears. I tow a HUGE trailer behind mine and would love to cool the transmission down better for hill climbing.
Yeah.. I do not think many people recognize the benefits of a $300 tranny cooler, like easy preventative maintenance on a $3,000 transmission failure. As soon as you add more power, you add more heat in the transmission. As many people know, heat is the number 1 killer of transmissions.

So I will try to put up a post when I get around to this one. Once again, I am not looking to replace the stock one entirely, just add another cooler before it returns to the transmission.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Panzer is on a distinguished road
600 miles per quart!??!
I call BS on that (not you). I don't see how that could ever be acceptable for an automaker. Considering with an oil change I can get double to triple that.
Call me gun shy but oil in the intake scares me. Seen too many cases of detonation and piston failure from excessive blowbye. Also aids in trapping moisture, a common problem when little short trips are made without properly heating the engine oil to op temp for sustained periods of time.

Techron in the oil: Unburnt fuel, residue etc.. can and will find it's way past the rings and back into the crankcase. That is fact, especially with ring clearances like we have, loose. Nothing to be alarmed of but it does happen.

Secondary trans cooler should be a worthwhile upgrade, especially with power like yours, heavy towing or slow speed off-roading.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 AM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Wow.. that looks amazing!

Full link:
http://www.greenmotorsport.us/servlet/StoreFront

I did notice that it only has one runner to the main intake - not two. And the throttle body mount is a Turbo S - only mount. Interesting.

I wonder why wouldn't they recreate two runners into a y-pipe plenum like OEM? Wouldn't that bottleneck?

Guess I better start saving up pennies in my piggy bank
The link directs me to the main page.
I only found this:
http://www.greenmotorsport.us/servle...e-Turbo/Detail

Is the shinny cooler out yet? or it is just an advance notice.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
Renaissance Man, ever do any testing at the quarter mile? I am looking to replace the manifold, throttle body and y pipe on my 958 as you have done.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 AM
StabMe is on a distinguished road
First of, i want to thank Renaissance Man and all the others for so much good information shared within this thread. There is a lack of info on modding Cayenne's and you guys fill the gap. And i am talking not only this thread, but all over the forums. We need more people like you, who are willing to share

I was wondering, how much of a power gain could one hope for by simply replacing intake manifold and throttle body on Turbo with those that come on "Turbo S"? I already have catalytic convertors removed and ECU tuned (not sure about the brand of an ECU tune, though), so these areas are somewhat taken care of.

I am also interested in upgrading turbocharges. But all the options available are very pricey. Since i live in a country where labour is relatively cheap (considering prices in U.S. and Europe), i was thinking about upgrading existing turbocharging instead of completely replacing them with new ones. For example, here one can purchase an upgraded turbocharger made by FVD. This turbo claims to provide 50% more power than the original one.

Now, do you think it is possible to obtain the parts needed for turbo upgrade separately and then install them using aforementioned cheap labour? The cost of upgrading (not counting the price of parts) would be around $150-300. All that is needed to be done is to tell the guys at the factory to replace the parts inside the turbo with new ones that i bring with myself. Now, only if i knew which parts inside the turbo exactly are to be replaced in order to gain more power... Opionions?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
Renaissance Man, ever do any testing at the quarter mile? I am looking to replace the manifold, throttle body and y pipe on my 958 as you have done.
Still interested in any 1/4 mile times or other acceleration testing.

I did order the "S" manifold, TB and y-pipe and just haven't gotten them installed yet.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Still interested in any 1/4 mile times or other acceleration testing.

I did order the "S" manifold, TB and y-pipe and just haven't gotten them installed yet.
Sorry, didn't notice these last couple of posts. Yes, I have few performance metrics for you. If you care about the times from Gtech Pro (note, not a fancy vbox), it stated I ran a "4.1, 0-60 mph" time on my 22's a couple of weeks ago. Really impressive of itself.

At the end of last year, I went to Englishtown, NJ Raceway park 1/4 mile track. I only got two passes that night (busiest night of the season) and only ran a 12.8 sec @ 110.XX mph trap - I should have been good for at least low 12's from my dyno numbers. Either making the passes on my soft 18" winters wasn't a good idea or my CTTS is on the heavier end since it is fairly optioned out. I need to get my P!G on a scale.

As a side note, what are you waiting on to the TTS manifold, TB, and plenum installed? It can easily be done in an afternoon.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 05-02-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by StabMe
First of, i want to thank Renaissance Man and all the others for so much good information shared within this thread. There is a lack of info on modding Cayenne's and you guys fill the gap. And i am talking not only this thread, but all over the forums. We need more people like you, who are willing to share
Thanks for the props!

I was wondering, how much of a power gain could one hope for by simply replacing intake manifold and throttle body on Turbo with those that come on "Turbo S"? I already have catalytic convertors removed and ECU tuned (not sure about the brand of an ECU tune, though), so these areas are somewhat taken care of.
Not sure - are you talking about a 955 or a 957? For a 957, if you replaced just the intake manifold, plenum, and throttle body, then you would get the factory rated HP of 550. If you add an ECU tune and remove all four cats, then will will get close to what I have - around 650 hp.

I am also interested in upgrading turbocharges. But all the options available are very pricey. Since i live in a country where labour is relatively cheap (considering prices in U.S. and Europe), i was thinking about upgrading existing turbocharging instead of completely replacing them with new ones. For example, here one can purchase an upgraded turbocharger made by FVD. This turbo claims to provide 50% more power than the original one.
I think the claims of 700/750 hp once those turbos are replaced, are taking into consideration other mods as well. So I do not think these alone will get you an additional 50% gain.

Now, do you think it is possible to obtain the parts needed for turbo upgrade separately and then install them using aforementioned cheap labour? The cost of upgrading (not counting the price of parts) would be around $150-300. All that is needed to be done is to tell the guys at the factory to replace the parts inside the turbo with new ones that i bring with myself. Now, only if i knew which parts inside the turbo exactly are to be replaced in order to gain more power... Opionions?
Why couldn't you order the parts here and have them installed someone else? I am sure they do a number of small mods on the turbos, but the major steps would be to replace the turbine wheels, increase waste gate capacity, and smooth out air flow.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I ended up trading in my Cayenne before doing this conversion, so I have the manifold, throttle body and y-pipe for sale all new in the box. Those 3 parts were $1,530.06 from Suncoast Porsche (by far the cheapest place to buy). I will sell for $1300 shipped to move them!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
I ended up trading in my Cayenne before doing this conversion, so I have the manifold, throttle body and y-pipe for sale all new in the box. Those 3 parts were $1,530.06 from Suncoast Porsche (by far the cheapest place to buy). I will sell for $1300 shipped to move them!
Sounds good to me. I may spend some more time on CTT before the GT3 comes to my garage. Would be nicer if the intercooler mod is done at the same time.

The only downside is, due to the diemater of TB, I have to use the plastic y-pipe again instead of the IPD plenum.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by loveivs
The only downside is, due to the diemater of TB, I have to use the plastic y-pipe again instead of the IPD plenum.
According to Sharkwerks, they are not sold on the aluminum plenum concept since it can act as a heatsink (physically attached to the engine) and possibly "warm up" incoming air. Possibly negating any gains from marginally increased air flow. I also subscribe to this theory and was content to put on the factory 84mm plastic plenum for around $100. So take it for what it is worth.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice deal - someone will love this... I also suggest putting up a post in the classifieds with pictures.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM
According to Sharkwerks, they are not sold on the aluminum plenum concept since it can act as a heatsink (physically attached to the engine) and possibly "warm up" incoming air. Possibly negating any gains from marginally increased air flow. I also subscribe to this theory and was content to put on the factory 84mm plastic plenum for around $100. So take it for what it is worth.
On a turbocharged engine, I really doubt it makes much difference, if at all. As you said, the 84mm plastic one is so inexpensive and comes with a new sensor if I recall. I think most of the "huge" gains published for the plenums are those whose plenums were already cracked ever so slightly and leaking boost.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Guess what, my plenum was sold by Alex@Sharkwerks. lol I heard vendor and 6speed member saying the plenum will bring extra 30-40HP. I can't physically feel the gain. IMHO, the plenum is more durable than the plastics y-pipe. It ensures better rigidity and heat-resistance. I can't say if it s worth or not.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM
jaatlee is on a distinguished road
PianoProdigy,

Do you still have the Cayenne Turbo S 84mm Manifold, Throttle Body and Y pipe for sale?

Jeff

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Retrofit/Conversion: Cayenne Turbo to Cayenne Turbo S - E81 PowerKit [PICS]