Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

OK, Detailing Products...what are Your top 3 Brand Recommendations

Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
OK, Detailing Products...what are Your top 3 Brand Recommendations

I'm used to using brands like Meguiars and Armor All for detailing. What are some of the top name brands for top notch detailing products? Im looking for brand line recomendations for everything (wax, wash shampoo, polish, interior cleaner, everything.)

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned
crazy1323 can only hope to improve
wow, you just open up a big can of worms....

For all around products I would hav eto say Zymol or Swissvax

However, the compnay that make the best polish might only make the best polishSo one company cannot really answer what you are looking for.

Car Wash -Griot's Garage, P21S
Aggressive Wheel Cleaner - P21S wheel Cleaner gell
Everyday Wheel cleaner - Zymol but I also like Griot's Garage
Polishes - Menzerna is my personal favorite
Sealant - Menzerna FMJ for long term pretection
Carnuba Wax - Zymol Councours for my price point (~$175)

These are all my personal preference, others will probably disagree as to what is "best"

Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pjb84
I'm used to using brands like Meguiars and Armor All for detailing. What are some of the top name brands for top notch detailing products? Im looking for brand line recomendations for everything (wax, wash shampoo, polish, interior cleaner, everything.)

Thanks for any help.
In my opinion, products fall into 3 categories. Consumer, Prosumer, and High-End/Boutique.

Consumer: Found at Auto Parts store, Walmart, Target, etc. OK for the guy that wants to get by and just clean his cars. Nothing special here. More cost driven than quality driven. Products are made to meet price points set by buyer, not quality needed by end-user. (Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, Mother's, etc)

Prosumer: This is probably the largest product line. There are MANY MANY manufacturers in this category. This is a much better step above the Consumer since now price isn't the driving force; it's a combination of price and quality. With some exception, you will find that most products in this category will perform similarly. It's a choice between brands that is made by the consumer. These products are well-used and respected amongst the professionals. (P21S, Zaino, einszett, Autoglym, Meguiar's Detailer Line, Klasse, Pinnacle, etc.)

High-end/Boutique: This is the smallest category of all the products. The main emphasis here is quality and design. Without getting too controversial, and I'm only going by what I've been told, haven't seen the labs or manufacturing facility, etc., these products are natural, contain no petrochemicals, and are of the highest quality. They are much more costly than the other two product category, but you use much less of the products, so the math makes sense. For example, a jar of Zymol Concours is $175. The jar will typically yield 50 applications. $175/50 = $3.50 per application. Since the product is of such high quality, it only needs to be applied 2-3 times per year. This means you have the wax for 16-25 years depending on your application. Another great benefit of this product category is the pricing. I think the newer brand adopted this recently, but the products are price-anchored. No matter who or where in the world you buy these products from, the price is the same. This is great for the reseller because there are no "deals" that would put one reseller in a price war with another; products cannot be discounted. Great for the consumer because they don't have to worry about if they're getting the best "deal". Lastly, it's great for the product and industry because the integrity and brand-equity of the product remains consistent. (Zymol and Swissvax)

Hope this helps a little to make an educated decision. And remember, not one of these companies makes the BEST of everything. You need to talk to professional detailers you know and respect, members of forums, and see what they like and recommend. After a while, you see the same names and products and that's your sign it's usually the one to go with. Just remember to be wary of the source of the info. Make sure it's coming from an unbiased source. I have a vested interest in selling P21S, zymol, Autoglym, einszett, and Meguiar's Detailer Line. However, I think by now most members know, I give facts to clients, not my opinions. I'll boldly let you know if what you're using, or going to use, is a great product or an inferior one. If you are using something that's already great, I'll let you know even if it mean losing a sale. Because in the long run, consumers need people they can trust and a source to go to that educates/empowers them to make more wise decisions based on facts and not marketing.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 02-29-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
porshaw is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great writeup Moe.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned
BrianBrice is on a distinguished road
Pjb,

I assume you are happy to some degree with your otc meg's stuff.

For someone like yourself I would recommend looking into Chemical Guys, they carry high quality products in every genre at outstanding prices, matter of fact many high end companies relabel their products. That is one very affordable way for you to make a jump from megs otc.

If ease of application is something you're looking for as far as lsp, look into Duragloss Aquawax, it is available otc and very affordable with great durability for a spray wax. Optimum's spray wax is another that has just as good of durability and longevity as several pastes on the market, plus once again, very easy to use.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
For the professional detailer, Mark-V makes some of the highest quality degreasers, wheel acids, carpet shampoos, etc. They are very strong, but very dilutable. Much more than the Meguiar's. As far as polishing compounds, we like the Perfect-it 3000 line from 3M. Waxes are just preference, Zymol is my favorite organic wax.

John

Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
If you are using that over the counter crap from the local auto store. Anything will be a big upgrade.

But if you want a "full line" & not spend a ton of $$
Meguires makes one of the most complete "pro" lines. But I really don't like most of it. To many fillers, & some products are super aggressive & caustic.

Zymol makes most things, & all are great, but they are expensive, & are least aggressive. With some of it, you HAVE to have some technique, or it will not come out right.

Griot's also makes great stuff, cheaper then Zymol, & only a little more aggressive. Pretty idiot proof.

Ziano, great following, good products, also you need to follow the directions 100% & it takes some time. If you mess up, got to start over. I really hate how they tell you to wash with dish soap.

Imho, for the DIY'er who is going to use a PC or hand, contact Phil & pick up the 1Z line, great stuff, & even better for the price. Easy to use, does what it is suppose to, will be a little forgiving.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
Wow, thanks guys. These are all helpful comments. I'll be doing some reading and researching on some of these.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
MrJohnT is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts on the Zymol cleaner wax?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned
BrianBrice is on a distinguished road
I believe it is manufactured and formulated by turtle wax, not that that's a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
flash80 is on a distinguished road
I use mostly Mezerna stuff. I like poorboy's also.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:42 PM
EMart is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrJohnT
From previous experience, it is a pretty good OTC product. It is a little messy, but did a pretty good job.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned
ToddHelme is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrJohnT

Smell great!!!!

Top 3 product lines would probably have to be all inclusive depending on your needs...

I personally don't buy into the whole OTC/Prosumer/Boutique thing because I have tested many OTC products that beat Prosumer/Boutique products, many Prosumer products that beat Boutique products, etc...

I think Chemical Guys (which manufactorers many high end products for many different companys) would really be a one stop shop. Meguiars Pro line as well.

If I had to choose three lines, based on performance and not price I would probably choose

Chemical Guys for all my basic needs and great products (which are sold under different names much more price). Also there carnauba waxes (XXX, Pete's 53, 50/50) are on par with much more expensive waxes.

Zaino (longest lasting sealants with a great look, as well as the rest of their line is extremely high quality as well).

P21s- They don't have the largest line, but produce very high quality products, plus I LOVE P21s 100 percent.

The only Zymol product I have found that is truely great is Vintage, the rest of the products are good, but not exceptional in my opinion.

If I where to break products down by which is best by catergory, here is how I would do it (more than 3 lines though). These are the best products I have found by category.

Car Wash- Zaino Z7
Quick Detailer- Zaino Z6
All in One- Jeff Werkstatt Prime Strong
Pre-Wax Treatment- Clear Kote Red Moose Macchine Glaze
Wax- Zymol Vintage
Sealant- Zaino twins (Z5pro/Z2pro)
Plastic/Rubber Dressing- 1Z Plastik Reiniger or 303 Protectant
Interior Spray- 1Z Cockpit Premium
Leather Care- Leatherique twin (Prestine Clean/Rejuvinator Oil)
Tire Cleaner- Meguiars APC 4:1
Wheel Cleaner- P21 Wheel Gel
Tire Dressing- Zaino Z16
Chrome Polish- Deep Finish Deep Chrome
Aluminum Polish- Mothers Billet
Window Cleaner- Surf City Garage Window Clean or Meguiars NXT Window
Booster Spray- Zaino Z8
Carpet Stain Remover- Folex

I probably missed some, but maybe that will help.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
MrJohnT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ToddHelme
Car Wash- Zaino Z7
Quick Detailer- Zaino Z6
All in One- Jeff Werkstatt Prime Strong
Pre-Wax Treatment- Clear Kote Red Moose Macchine Glaze
Wax- Zymol Vintage
Sealant- Zaino twins (Z5pro/Z2pro)
Plastic/Rubber Dressing- 1Z Plastik Reiniger or 303 Protectant
Interior Spray- 1Z Cockpit Premium
Leather Care- Leatherique twin (Prestine Clean/Rejuvinator Oil)
Tire Cleaner- Meguiars APC 4:1
Wheel Cleaner- P21 Wheel Gel
Tire Dressing- Zaino Z16
Chrome Polish- Deep Finish Deep Chrome
Aluminum Polish- Mothers Billet
Window Cleaner- Surf City Garage Window Clean or Meguiars NXT Window
Booster Spray- Zaino Z8
Carpet Stain Remover- Folex
I am going to guess you would have to buy all these products online?

Oh my lord, Zymol Vintage is EXPENSIVE!

Last edited by MrJohnT; 02-29-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
Detail Line

I think Todd nailed it pretty much,not a day goes buy when I do not hear "what wax do you use". Really sorting out your car requires prep with the right products and techniques,I have found Chemical Guys to have the most products that I use on a day to day basis,also I use P&S products for thier wheel cleaners and they have a great natural matte look tire dressing.

Now not to hijack this thread,but after the incredible buzz about Meguiars ultra cut compound(M-105)on autopia,detailing bliss etc... and a real good review by Todd who posted before me I picked up a quart to try out this week,now I have been using System One for over three years and have not found any compound that could beat it... until this week,my only gripe with System One is the dusting factor I even added water per Tom Horvaths suggestion and that really did not do the trick.

I have done three different cars this week with the M-105, a Buggati,audi S5,and a 67 Camaro with solvent based urethane paint and the results were fantastic!! low dusting,finishes off real clean almost lsp ready and as Todd said in his review a little goes a long way. The cut is so fast without scouring,I have a 07 Ferrari 430 Tuesday so I will see how it is on the PPG ceramic paint, it's so funny the only Meguiars products I have are the backing plates and finish pads.Meguiars has hit a home run with this product.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK, Detailing Products...what are Your top 3 Brand Recommendations