Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by treeman
Thanks Moe and w00t. I figured it's not good - hadn't been doing it most of winter - but was hoping somehow it would be fine . I was worried about the detergents in the soap, but not even thinking about the water spots, duh. Unfortunately I don't have the room or budget for the CR system at the moment, although it seems like the perfect solution.

It takes me 4 hours for a full exterior/interior cleaning. Just exterior is 2 hours when I have caked on mud from Tahoe and I have to gently wash and rinse the lower panels 2 or 3 times each.
Are you using a pressure washer for the exterior? If not, you should definitely think of getting one. You pick one up for about $130 at lowes or home depot.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Yolev has a spectacular aura aboutYolev has a spectacular aura about
Sealant

Moe,
What do sealants do to protect and enhance the finish that wax won't do. If I use a sealant, will I still need to put a coat of wax on the sealant? Under average conditions, can I expect the sealant to last a year?

Thanks,
Yolev

Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yolev
Moe,
What do sealants do to protect and enhance the finish that wax won't do. If I use a sealant, will I still need to put a coat of wax on the sealant? Under average conditions, can I expect the sealant to last a year?

Thanks,
Yolev
Not ALL sealants are exactly better than a carnauba wax. It all depends on which carnauba you get. If you use a sealant, then apply the sealant first. The only reason you'd apply the carnauba over a sealant is to gain more depth and reduce the gloss and shine a sealant has. This gives paint a more natural look instead of a sterile shine. IMHO, you shouldn't go over 6 month without claying, polishing, and waxing. Think about it. It's the only thing prolonging the life of your paint. It's like trying to find a toothpaste that lasts a year. Would you not brush your teeth? Same concept with waxes and your car. If a daily driver, wax every 3-6 months depending on weather conditions and wax you use. Let me know if this helps answer your question.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Yolev has a spectacular aura aboutYolev has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, Moe.
Your answer was helpful.
Yolev.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Yolev
Thanks, Moe.
Your answer was helpful.
Yolev.
Glad I could help

Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
solekeeper is on a distinguished road
Mo, what kind of LC pads should I use if doing wetsanding correction with a rotary?

I know the colors I need, but which type (hydro etc..) of pad would work best with the rotary thanks!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by solekeeper
Mo, what kind of LC pads should I use if doing wetsanding correction with a rotary?

I know the colors I need, but which type (hydro etc..) of pad would work best with the rotary thanks!!!
Hope we answered it in this post:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...help-asap.html

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Premium Sponsor
200+++ posts....AWESOME!!!! Thanks for allowing me to share my knowledge with you guys. Looking forward to the nest 200

Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM
mr.rhtuner is on a distinguished road
Hey Moe, I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.

We have a Black E46 3-series and the car has some paint scratches. I had them touched up with black touch-up paint but as you can guess that makes it very noticeable. We are planning on having the car painted in a year or two once I'm done school and it's paid off but I'd like to get a nice wax on it and bring out the pat.

I've rear some sites where you can lightly sand down the touch up paint to match it with the oem paint and then wax it.

Have you done anything like this before? I know this may be a bit ghetto but we are still paying for the car and I'm in school so repainting the whole car is not possible at this moment.

Also, our front brakes release a lot of brake dust and the 17" M rims get filthy up front. We can clean them good but they only last about 3-4 days before they really are dirty.

Are there any products that can make the rims cleaner and keep them cleaner longer? Some kind of a rim wax to prevent the brake dust from building up and staying on.

Thank you Moe for any advice you can provide us.
bart

Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by mr.rhtuner
Hey Moe, I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.

We have a Black E46 3-series and the car has some paint scratches. I had them touched up with black touch-up paint but as you can guess that makes it very noticeable. We are planning on having the car painted in a year or two once I'm done school and it's paid off but I'd like to get a nice wax on it and bring out the pat.

I've rear some sites where you can lightly sand down the touch up paint to match it with the oem paint and then wax it.

Have you done anything like this before? I know this may be a bit ghetto but we are still paying for the car and I'm in school so repainting the whole car is not possible at this moment.

Also, our front brakes release a lot of brake dust and the 17" M rims get filthy up front. We can clean them good but they only last about 3-4 days before they really are dirty.

Are there any products that can make the rims cleaner and keep them cleaner longer? Some kind of a rim wax to prevent the brake dust from building up and staying on.

Thank you Moe for any advice you can provide us.
bart
Great questions.

Unless you're a pro, I wouldn't wetsand anything. The best you can do is touch up chips slightly, and polish the paint to reduce the severity of the scratches.

When you're ready, just repaint and do it right. You could also send it to a body shop and have them compound and polish the paint...that will help tremendously. Just make sure the shop you use is reputable and knows YOUR car well.

As for brake dust, rejex is a great option. It's a polymer sealant and will do a great job of repelling most of the dust. Then clean routinely with P21S Wheel Cleaner and your wheels should look great.

Did this help?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
hey moe, which wool pad should I use maroon or yellow as my first step in correcting sandscratches?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
hey moe, which wool pad should I use maroon or yellow as my first step in correcting sandscratches?
It depends on the sandpaper you're using. The purple wool can be used on anything above 1500. The yellow or white for below 1500.

We use purple for most compounding.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I'll be using 2500 grit. Is that purple wool overkill for it? (Too coarse)

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
I'll be using 2500 grit. Is that purple wool overkill for it? (Too coarse)
Sorry for the delayed response...the purple should be just fine.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
so_cali_guy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks Moe!

I just got off the phone with Moe for the first time and I have to say he's a great guy to talk to in person. He's down to earth and gave some solid advice. I'm looking forward to receiving some Menzerna Powerlock (I'll post some pics of my car after I have time to apply this stuff!).

Probably should have asked this question on the phone, but I notice my car tends to attract a lot of dust in the back bumper from what I think is static electricity when I wax or wipe it down with a MF towel. Two of my cars are Ivory Pearl so that dust starts to show within a day or two after I clean it. Is there some way of reducing or preventing that from happening?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe