Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Hey Moe,
I have some wheels that I acquired recently. They are in nearly mint condition save for a few clear coat scratches and tar spots.
Here are some pictures:

Now I have cleaned them personally with P21s gel w/ a boar's hair brush. This removed all the dirt and loose contaminants, but I have lots of small tar specks that are still adherent to the lips. Now the center of the wheels are painted and clear coated but the lips are bare cut aluminum which also have clear coat (as you can see in the second picture).

I am not sure how to go about removing the tar, which are like <1 to 1.5 mm spots on the aluminum lips of my wheels. I briefly tried to use some crappy meguiars clay (only thing I had around at the time) to remove it and it didn't work. I was bad and tried to use my finger nail to scratch at one larger tar spot to see what would happen and it seems like I got a clump of it off the paint but obviously didn't try to go any deeper lest I ruin my wheels.

I want to say that something like Stoner's Tarminator will be able to dissolve the spots, but I'm afraid that it will ruin the clear coat as Volk wheels tend to have fragile finishes. They spots are small and not even noticeable at normal viewing distances but they bug me. Any advice on products to use or whether or not to just clean them up with P21 and seal them with a polymer (Zaino is what I have currently)?
Very simple...use P21S Finish Restorer and it'll do the job.

1. Place a small dab on a microfiber towel.
2. Spread the product with your finger into the towel.
3. Gently begin ribbing the tar spots with the towel paying close attention to letting the towel and the product do the work. Don't press hard.

You'll see the Finish Restorer break down the tar spot and it'll turn from black to orange, and then disappear. The reason I don't want you rubbing hard is because that tar spot is usually asphalt as well. There are lots of sharp little rocks in there that can create deep scratches in the aluminum and clear coat.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...r-metal/Detail

Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Moe: Most, if not all my detailing supplies will be requiring a refill this spring. I am well aware of your high standards when it comes to car care and would love to use products that you carry as a token of appreciation for your efforts on this forum. What is your favorite product for the following : Car wash soap, wheel cleaner, spray on wax (post car wash) and instant detailer for light dust removal during daily maintenance(for a clear bra'ed vehicle and regular clear coat vehicle), leather cleaner and conditioner for a new and older and so far very well maintained leather, leather conditioner, interior cleaner, glass cleaner, fabric top protectant, wash mitts (will be using the CR spotless, Kranzle pressure washer and airmax dryer that I ordered from your store) and pads/towels for interior and glass cleaning. Wife's MINI convertible is astroblack exterior with malt brown interior leather and my C4S is GT silver (fully clear bra'd) with natural dark grey full leather and the complete silver deviated stitching.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Hi Moe: Most, if not all my detailing supplies will be requiring a refill this spring. I am well aware of your high standards when it comes to car care and would love to use products that you carry as a token of appreciation for your efforts on this forum. What is your favorite product for the following : Car wash soap, wheel cleaner, spray on wax (post car wash) and instant detailer for light dust removal during daily maintenance(for a clear bra'ed vehicle and regular clear coat vehicle), leather cleaner and conditioner for a new and older and so far very well maintained leather, leather conditioner, interior cleaner, glass cleaner, fabric top protectant, wash mitts (will be using the CR spotless, Kranzle pressure washer and airmax dryer that I ordered from your store) and pads/towels for interior and glass cleaning. Wife's MINI convertible is astroblack exterior with malt brown interior leather and my C4S is GT silver (fully clear bra'd) with natural dark grey full leather and the complete silver deviated stitching.
Car Wash: einszett Perls or P21S Bodywork Shampoo
Wheel Cleaner: P21S
Spray Wax: einszett Spray Wax
Detail Spray: Meguiar's Final Inspection
Leather Cleaner: Autoglym Interior Cleaner
Leather Conditioner: Swissvax Leather Milk
Interior Cleaner: Autoglym Interior Cleaner
Glass Cleaner: Maguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner
Fabric Top: Raggtop or Renovo
Wash Mitt: GP Natural Australian Lambs Wool Mitt
Glass Towel: GP MicroGlass Towel
Microfiber Towel: GP MicroTowel

Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you Moe. That is helpful.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Hi Moe,

This thread is quite impressive. Thank you for your (and others') insights. I have read every single post here and will attempt to "detail" (pun intended ) a step-by-step approach (using the kits listed from you glisteningperfectionstore.com site) from start to finish. I am planning to purchase from your site and would love to get your input. Hope this thread helps other forum members/lurkers who are newbies (like me)....

Just purchased my new '09 C2 triple black in January. Looked great after delivery, however, after getting complimentary car washes at the dealership, I've noticed many light to moderate swirls (gasp!). Rather than continue to pay detailers, I'd like to take matters into my own hands once the weather warms up. These threads have inspired me. Thank you all.

-----------
Car (me): 2009 911 Black/Black/Black
Car (fiancee): 2008 BMW 328i Black/Black/Black
-----------

I have never used an orbital before, so my fiancee's car will be tested first.

Using info from your Detailing Trinity, this is what i'm planning to purchase (would love to save some $$, so please help me minimize, if possible). Again, I am a complete newbie, so any constructive feedback is respected.

WASH
ADVANCED MICROFIBER WASH KIT
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-137/Advanced-Microfiber-Wash-Kit/Detail
12 GP MicroTowels (Green and Blue)
3 GP MicroDrying Towels
1 MicroRestore Detergent 32oz
1 einszett Perls Car Wash
1 einszett Detail Spray
1 einszett ****pit Premium
1 Meguiar’s Detailer Line Glass Cleaner
2 GP Australian Sheepskin Wash Mitts

SWISSVAX SmartBucket
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-182/swissvax-smartbucket%2C-swissvax-wash/Detail

1. Soak the car with (warm?) water using a hose to remove/soften dirt

2. Mix einszett Perls Car Wash with Water (parts?) in the Swissvax SmartBucket.

3. Use Sheepskin Wash Mitts with water from Step 2 to wash the car.

4. Use MicroDrying? towels to dry car.
4a. QUESTION: Where does the MicroRestore Detergent come into play?
4b. QUESTION: What is the difference between Green and Blue towels (if any) other than color?

5. Use einszett Detail Spray with MicroTowels on exterior.
5a. QUESTION: is step 5 as simple as spray on, towel off?

6. Use einszett ****pit Premium with GP MicroTowels to clean interior plastics, leather, touchscreen NAV etc...
6a. is einszett ****pit Premium unsafe for anything specific in the interior?

7. Use Meguiar’s Detailer Line Glass Cleaner for glass.

CLAY BAR
8. <Insert suggestion/instructions here...>. What to use for Clay Bar solution? Do I wash again after claybar, or insert this step somewhere in the WASH section? I have Venture Shield on the front bumper. I've read claying is fine. Which Clay and spray to use?

POLISH
ADVANCED POLISH KIT
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-125/Car-Care-cln-Kits-cln-Polish-Kits/Detail
1 32oz Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
1 32oz Menzerna 106FA Super Finish
1 Menzerna Top Inspection
2 GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad
2 GP White CCS Curved Polishing Pad
4 GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels
1 FLEX Orbital polisher

9. Attach and use GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish to FLEX Orbital polisher
9a. QUESTION: How much polish to use on the pad?
9b. QUESTION: What is the difference between GP Orange, Yellow, Red, and White Polishing Pads?

10. Use GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to wipe off polish?
10a. QUESTION: Suggested to use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

11. Attached and use GP White CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna 106FA Super Finish to FLEX Orbital polisher
11a. QUESTION: Is the GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish harsh on the car? I.E. how often to use Step 8 or Step 9 during next detail?
11b. Suggested to use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

12. Use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

WAX
I am pretty stuck here. My budget has run out at this point, and would a financially feasible solution.
I also purchased Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket separately. Where do I insert this step?

MISC INTERIOR
Use Autoglym Interior Cleaner/Shampoo
Use Swissvax Leather Milk

Thanks in advance for your advice. I look forward to placing my order!

Wolf...

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Hi Moe,

This thread is quite impressive. Thank you for your (and others') insights. I have read every single post here and will attempt to "detail" (pun intended ) a step-by-step approach (using the kits listed from you glisteningperfectionstore.com site) from start to finish. I am planning to purchase from your site and would love to get your input. Hope this thread helps other forum members/lurkers who are newbies (like me)....

Just purchased my new '09 C2 triple black in January. Looked great after delivery, however, after getting complimentary car washes at the dealership, I've noticed many light to moderate swirls (gasp!). Rather than continue to pay detailers, I'd like to take matters into my own hands once the weather warms up. These threads have inspired me. Thank you all.

-----------
Car (me): 2009 911 Black/Black/Black
Car (fiancee): 2008 BMW 328i Black/Black/Black
-----------

I have never used an orbital before, so my fiancee's car will be tested first.

Using info from your Detailing Trinity, this is what i'm planning to purchase (would love to save some $$, so please help me minimize, if possible). Again, I am a complete newbie, so any constructive feedback is respected.

WASH
ADVANCED MICROFIBER WASH KIT
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-137/Advanced-Microfiber-Wash-Kit/Detail
12 GP MicroTowels (Green and Blue)
3 GP MicroDrying Towels
1 MicroRestore Detergent 32oz
1 einszett Perls Car Wash
1 einszett Detail Spray
1 einszett ****pit Premium
1 Meguiar’s Detailer Line Glass Cleaner
2 GP Australian Sheepskin Wash Mitts

SWISSVAX SmartBucket
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-182/swissvax-smartbucket%2C-swissvax-wash/Detail

1. Soak the car with (warm?) water using a hose to remove/soften dirt

2. Mix einszett Perls Car Wash with Water (parts?) in the Swissvax SmartBucket.

3. Use Sheepskin Wash Mitts with water from Step 2 to wash the car.

4. Use MicroDrying? towels to dry car.
4a. QUESTION: Where does the MicroRestore Detergent come into play?
4b. QUESTION: What is the difference between Green and Blue towels (if any) other than color?

5. Use einszett Detail Spray with MicroTowels on exterior.
5a. QUESTION: is step 5 as simple as spray on, towel off?

6. Use einszett ****pit Premium with GP MicroTowels to clean interior plastics, leather, touchscreen NAV etc...
6a. is einszett ****pit Premium unsafe for anything specific in the interior?

7. Use Meguiar’s Detailer Line Glass Cleaner for glass.

CLAY BAR
8. <Insert suggestion/instructions here...>. What to use for Clay Bar solution? Do I wash again after claybar, or insert this step somewhere in the WASH section? I have Venture Shield on the front bumper. I've read claying is fine. Which Clay and spray to use?

POLISH
ADVANCED POLISH KIT
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com/servlet/the-125/Car-Care-cln-Kits-cln-Polish-Kits/Detail
1 32oz Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
1 32oz Menzerna 106FA Super Finish
1 Menzerna Top Inspection
2 GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad
2 GP White CCS Curved Polishing Pad
4 GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels
1 FLEX Orbital polisher

9. Attach and use GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish to FLEX Orbital polisher
9a. QUESTION: How much polish to use on the pad?
9b. QUESTION: What is the difference between GP Orange, Yellow, Red, and White Polishing Pads?

10. Use GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to wipe off polish?
10a. QUESTION: Suggested to use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

11. Attached and use GP White CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna 106FA Super Finish to FLEX Orbital polisher
11a. QUESTION: Is the GP Orange CCS Curved Polishing Pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish harsh on the car? I.E. how often to use Step 8 or Step 9 during next detail?
11b. Suggested to use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

12. Use Menzerna Top Inspection with GP MicroCloth Polishing Towels to clean excess Polish here?

WAX
I am pretty stuck here. My budget has run out at this point, and would a financially feasible solution.
I also purchased Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket separately. Where do I insert this step?

MISC INTERIOR
Use Autoglym Interior Cleaner/Shampoo
Use Swissvax Leather Milk

Thanks in advance for your advice. I look forward to placing my order!

Wolf...

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
The Leather Conditioner that we use for almost all interior surfaces is the Swissvax Leather Milk.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...wissvax/Detail

You want to apply that using one of the soft red applicator pads.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...or-cln-/Detail

Put a Nickel sized drop on the center of your applicator, then fold the applicator in half to apply it evenly to the applicator surface. When applying it to your interior surfaces, plastics, leather, vinyl, make sure that you cover it evenly and pay special attention to the cracks and edges.

After you do your whole interior, just go back with a MF towel and wipe the interior down to make sure that everything is even. This will make sure that you have a flat and even surface sheen, which makes a huge impact.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 AM
tihi_bmw is on a distinguished road
Zymol products at GP store

Moe,

We had a chance to talk in person before, but this is my first post at this forum. Needless to say, you're doing an awesome job!

By the way, when will Zymol stuff be in available through GP online store?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Please post a pic ...usually on wheel like that, I'll clay them with zymol lehm klay and then polish them with Menzerna Super Finish, and a final polishing with Zymol Metall.

But, better to see some pics before investing in these products.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by tihi_bmw
Moe,

We had a chance to talk in person before, but this is my first post at this forum. Needless to say, you're doing an awesome job!

By the way, when will Zymol stuff be in available through GP online store?

Thanks.
We have no intention of carrying that line in the future.

As it relates to the post you quoted, we now use P21S Polishing soap and/or P21S Finish Restorer as our preferred wheel polishing products. The great thing about being a detailing company first is that we're not committed to one brand and only carry products that we feel serve their purpose. If we feel there's a better product than what we're currently using, we test it, use it on our cars for some time, use it on our clients' cars, and finally bring it to our store when we feel 100% confident we've got the best at the time.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
tihi_bmw is on a distinguished road
GP store

Thanks, Moe.

I am hoping to place my order soon.

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
We have no intention of carrying that line in the future.

As it relates to the post you quoted, we now use P21S Polishing soap and/or P21S Finish Restorer as our preferred wheel polishing products. The great thing about being a detailing company first is that we're not committed to one brand and only carry products that we feel serve their purpose. If we feel there's a better product than what we're currently using, we test it, use it on our cars for some time, use it on our clients' cars, and finally bring it to our store when we feel 100% confident we've got the best at the time.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by tihi_bmw
Thanks, Moe.

I am hoping to place my order soon.
You're welcome. We look forward to having as part of the GP family.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 AM
treeman is on a distinguished road
Hey Moe,

I had a question on the self wash bays and their magic [sic] wand.

I get my car pretty dirty going into the mountains and don't have the time to spend the 4 hours it takes me to wash it proper. I started using the high pressure rinse at the self wash to at least get the 'mud' off my car.

My question is on using the pre-soak soap to get more off with the rinse. Can using it be damage my paint in any way? And does it remove wax or sealant as well, with just a pre-soak and a rise? do you recommend , or no?

thx a lot.
tree

Old 04-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Absolute no no. Treeman, high pressure rinse and walk off would result in excessive water spots (since they do not use deionized water) and presoak rinse will guarantee that all wax is stripped. Best solution get a CR spotless from Moe (I got one for a very good price from him and love it for just those days where I don't have time for a full wash but just wanted to get the salt and excessive road grime off). I would love to hear Moe's take on this.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Absolute no no. Treeman, high pressure rinse and walk off would result in excessive water spots (since they do not use deionized water) and presoak rinse will guarantee that all wax is stripped. Best solution get a CR spotless from Moe (I got one for a very good price from him and love it for just those days where I don't have time for a full wash but just wanted to get the salt and excessive road grime off). I would love to hear Moe's take on this.
+1...the coin-op places use reclaimed water for one thing. The other issue is the soap. Most of the soaps used at coin-ops are cheap and actually hurt the finish of your car by being too aggressive and stripping wax, damaging rubber trim, not to mentioned the quality of the ingredients don't always protect from the dirt scratching the paint.

Your best bet is the get your own inexpensive pressure washer, a cr spotless, and do a quick wash yourself. It should take more than 30-45 minutes for a proper wash. Then just don't even bother drying...since you sue the cr and it's di water, you can let it air dry and it will be spot free. Let me know if this helps.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
treeman is on a distinguished road
Thanks Moe and w00t. I figured it's not good - hadn't been doing it most of winter - but was hoping somehow it would be fine . I was worried about the detergents in the soap, but not even thinking about the water spots, duh. Unfortunately I don't have the room or budget for the CR system at the moment, although it seems like the perfect solution.

It takes me 4 hours for a full exterior/interior cleaning. Just exterior is 2 hours when I have caked on mud from Tahoe and I have to gently wash and rinse the lower panels 2 or 3 times each.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe