Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how dirty. I forgot to mention that it helps, if you can, to vacuum the top first to get the initial dust off. One of the brush attachments works best. Disclaimer: I am prattling on about canvas tops...if yours is vinyl, then you likely don't need to vacuum. Optimum no rinse should work fine, as it won't deteriorate the original water proofing unless you use it full strength and really scrub. Search YouTube for 'convertible top care' and you will probably get more information than you can use.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 06:00 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Is there a “safe” way to dust my car? I use to use a California duster on my 09 Targa. But with a new car I’m not so sure.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
You can do a search for California Duster, but be prepared for a variety of opinions. Some swear by them, others avoid them. One theory is that the paraffin coated strands of the California Duster don't adequately trap the dust and just basically drag it over the surface, which could cause fine scratches - more noticeable on dark cars. Some people like the fluffy wool dusters. With both, a gentle touch is essential. No pressure. The anti-duster contingent tends to recommend detail spray and a quality microfiber cloth to remove dust. I've used both methods on my white Mercedes SL, but with the dark Porsche, I tend to stick with Surf City Garage Speed Demon spray and a really high quality microfiber.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM
ryan79 is on a distinguished road
Hey Moe -

It's been a while since I've taken on any significant detail work on my own. I'm hoping for some suggestions on products/brands I should stock up on. I'll list what I have currently to use, or what I've always used in the past. Any suggestions for improving on these would be greatly appreciated, as I see there have been many advances in the last few years.

Products --

exterior shampoo -- 1z perls, swissvax car bath, p21s and zymol
clay -- lumiere medium and fine clay with same lube, zymol, swissvax paint rubber

wheels -- p21s, sonax
wheel wells -- 1z deep plastic cleaner, 1z plastic treatment
tires -- sonax gel

random -- Ironx ( or something like that ) to help detoxify paint, 1z gummi pflege

Interior -- Autoglym interior shampoo (basically everywhere as needed, especially on Alcantara), Meguirs professional line window cleaner, Leatherique on seats, Swissvax Leather Milk, 1z cockpit

Various Menzerna products to use with Flex ROB, LC pads, Nano Technologies BlueChem Nano Profi line once paint has been corrected (not sure if you or anyone carries that anymore??)

So, what's worth keeping and where should I be looking (brands, etc) to replace any of the above items. Seems there are a lot of new brands that are hot now, so any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM
mike5876 is on a distinguished road
water spots

I have a 2018 mustang gt dark blue the water at my house is very hard and if i blow the car off immediately after washing and micro fiber the excess its usually ok but the other day i washed and took a little longer to dry Now i have water spots. What is the best way to remove? I was thinking rinsing with a vinegar and water mixture?

Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
WOW...hard to believe it's been so long since this thread was started...a lot has changed in the industry...so ask away your questions and I'll do my best to answer

Old 12-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mike5876
I have a 2018 mustang gt dark blue the water at my house is very hard and if i blow the car off immediately after washing and micro fiber the excess its usually ok but the other day i washed and took a little longer to dry Now i have water spots. What is the best way to remove? I was thinking rinsing with a vinegar and water mixture?
Have you tried CarPro Spotless? It's an effective and safe water spot remover

https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-deco...r-500ml-16-oz/

Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Moe! I posted in the general detailing forum but no bites so I’m re-posting here for your thoughts please! Hope this is okay...

Hi! I’ve spent most of my time on the Panamera forum but I’ve been lurking here for some time now trying to learn from you guys. This is my first post.

My daily (and only!) is a 2014 Panamera 4S in Agate Grey. I routinely do a 2 bucket wash to keep it up. A couple of times a year I clay and wax. I’ve never polished. Once a year I pay to have the vehicle “professionally detailed”. It looks great for a week or so then the shine fades. I think I can do better with the knowledge I’ve gained from you guys. After spending time here I am now familiar with the “holy trinity” (to quote Moe!).

Spent 3 days last week doing the interior (2-tone cream and grey) and now for the exterior! I have access to a friend’s FLEX 3401VRG. I’m sourcing out Menzerna polish (not so easy in Canada) with Lake Country pads.

Plan to start with a 2 bucket wash (Chemical Guys Honeydew with foam cannon) and then clay bar. First stage will be Menzerna medium cut polish 2500 with orange Lake Country Hybrid Force pad. Second stage will be Menzerna Super Finish 3500 with black Lake Country Hybrid Force pad. Plan to wax with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax with red Lake Country Hybrid Force pad. Did I pair up the correct pads to the products selected? Reasonable choice of products? Pro detail supplies are harder to source in Canada vs. USA hence my product selection.

Also, while polishing with 2500 and 3500, do I need to lightly spray pad with quick detailer (QD) or distilled water or nothing? I’ve read avoid QD and use DW. One source said use nothing. Any advice from the pros is appreciated.

How to clean the panel I’ve just polished? I’ve read simply wipe with 70/30 500+ GSM microfibre towel. Is this correct or need to clean with something like Menzerna Control Cleaner?

Lastly, how to clean pads after done? Friend who uses Adam’s suggesting Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner? Will this work for Mezerna polish or do I need something else?

Sorry for the long 1st post here. Newbie getting started and want everything to go smoothly! Thank you in advance!