Notices
Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how dirty. I forgot to mention that it helps, if you can, to vacuum the top first to get the initial dust off. One of the brush attachments works best. Disclaimer: I am prattling on about canvas tops...if yours is vinyl, then you likely don't need to vacuum. Optimum no rinse should work fine, as it won't deteriorate the original water proofing unless you use it full strength and really scrub. Search YouTube for 'convertible top care' and you will probably get more information than you can use.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 06:00 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Is there a “safe” way to dust my car? I use to use a California duster on my 09 Targa. But with a new car I’m not so sure.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
You can do a search for California Duster, but be prepared for a variety of opinions. Some swear by them, others avoid them. One theory is that the paraffin coated strands of the California Duster don't adequately trap the dust and just basically drag it over the surface, which could cause fine scratches - more noticeable on dark cars. Some people like the fluffy wool dusters. With both, a gentle touch is essential. No pressure. The anti-duster contingent tends to recommend detail spray and a quality microfiber cloth to remove dust. I've used both methods on my white Mercedes SL, but with the dark Porsche, I tend to stick with Surf City Garage Speed Demon spray and a really high quality microfiber.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM
ryan79 is on a distinguished road
Hey Moe -

It's been a while since I've taken on any significant detail work on my own. I'm hoping for some suggestions on products/brands I should stock up on. I'll list what I have currently to use, or what I've always used in the past. Any suggestions for improving on these would be greatly appreciated, as I see there have been many advances in the last few years.

Products --

exterior shampoo -- 1z perls, swissvax car bath, p21s and zymol
clay -- lumiere medium and fine clay with same lube, zymol, swissvax paint rubber

wheels -- p21s, sonax
wheel wells -- 1z deep plastic cleaner, 1z plastic treatment
tires -- sonax gel

random -- Ironx ( or something like that ) to help detoxify paint, 1z gummi pflege

Interior -- Autoglym interior shampoo (basically everywhere as needed, especially on Alcantara), Meguirs professional line window cleaner, Leatherique on seats, Swissvax Leather Milk, 1z cockpit

Various Menzerna products to use with Flex ROB, LC pads, Nano Technologies BlueChem Nano Profi line once paint has been corrected (not sure if you or anyone carries that anymore??)

So, what's worth keeping and where should I be looking (brands, etc) to replace any of the above items. Seems there are a lot of new brands that are hot now, so any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM
mike5876 is on a distinguished road
water spots

I have a 2018 mustang gt dark blue the water at my house is very hard and if i blow the car off immediately after washing and micro fiber the excess its usually ok but the other day i washed and took a little longer to dry Now i have water spots. What is the best way to remove? I was thinking rinsing with a vinegar and water mixture?