Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 AM
ryan79 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Yup yup
Hi Moe,

Is it possible to remove darkening dirt and oil stains on a beige leather steering wheel and shift ****? Or am I better off replacing these parts?
Obviously Moe would know better than I, but if it were me, I would wet a Swissvax leather brush's bristles down with Autoglym, scrub, the follow up with the Leatherique process.

I'm sure there are more proven methods out there that the pros know, but I would use that as a starting point.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yup yup
Hi Moe,

Is it possible to remove darkening dirt and oil stains on a beige leather steering wheel and shift ****? Or am I better off replacing these parts?
Yes. Simply apply leather cleaner to a damp warm mf towel and begin working the towel with both hands while griping the steering wheel. Similar to the motion to the motion of revving a motorcycle handle. Be conscious of not doing it too firmly as you may pull some of the dye off the leather. Repeat similar technique on the shift ****, but grip the **** and simply wipe right to left. Hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryan79
Moe --

Would you be able to provide to me, again, the pad type, pressure, and Flex speed level for the Nano Tech Pre-cleaner and sealant? I know the sealant was a red polishing pad, forgot the speed and pressure.

Any help here on this?
Hi Ryan...

Red pad, medium pressure, and "5" on flex.

Just work nano in the paint until surface almost become transparent.

Allow to sit for about 4-5 minutes, wipe off, and do not touch afterwards.

We've found a minimum of 4-6 hours is necessary for nano'd surface to be indoors; ideally, 24 hours.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Hey Moe,

Question regarding glass. When the car was first detailed at the dealer something was sprayed on and I cant get if off the glass. All the glass has it. You can only see it when its wet or dirty. I've tried glass cleaner, vinegar but its not coming out. What do you recommend?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by rossii
Hey Moe,

Question regarding glass. When the car was first detailed at the dealer something was sprayed on and I cant get if off the glass. All the glass has it. You can only see it when its wet or dirty. I've tried glass cleaner, vinegar but its not coming out. What do you recommend?
Clay the glass and use the nano glass kit...amazing stuff and it'll make the glass crystal clear

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...gie/Categories

Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Starter Buffer/Polisher

Moe,

Looking at getting my first detailing products and wanted to see what you recommend for a buffer/polisher, wax, pads for use on a porsche. I have a clear bra on most of my car if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
tumeric stain on pebble leather

Hi Moe,

This just happened a couple hours ago. I spilled some food on the back seat of my 991 and it had tumeric in it. It appears to have dyed the leather neon yellow.

Any way I can remove it safely?

Please let me know!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	314897   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	314898   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	314899  
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by porschefreak04
Hi Moe,

This just happened a couple hours ago. I spilled some food on the back seat of my 991 and it had tumeric in it. It appears to have dyed the leather neon yellow.

Any way I can remove it safely?

Please let me know!
Well, that's a new one for me. Did a little research and here's what I found:

According to foodrepublic.com, The compound responsible for turmeric's fierce pigmentation, curcumin, isn't water soluble, so forget the old dab-it-out or even the club soda and salt trick. You'll need to break out the heavy-duty artillery AND harness the power of the sun.

Check out this video:

In a nutshell, I'd try the following to a small area first:

1. Rub with warm towel and hand soap

2. Rub with a stain remover paste that's enzyme based...I don't know if oxyclean or something like it would be a good choice. Allow it to do its thing for a few minutes

3. Wipe with warm towel and water

4. Hopefully it might have turned a pale pink, so let the sun do the rest

If above doesn't work, a good leather repair guy should be able to color match that small area and fix the issue. Just make sure the stain is neutralized so it doesn't bleed through the repair

It goes without saying, but use caution with what I suggested above as I've never tried this before. This would be what I'd try on my own car, so, may the force be with you.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
Thanks for the detailed reply Moe. I watched the video and it seems like it's worth a shot. I was doing some research last night as well and I ordered this:

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-mast...r-remover.html

I got one day shipping, so it should be here tomorrow. I'm just not sure if I should wait until the dye transfer gets here or try the enzyme approach.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Premium Sponsor
Thanks for the detailed reply Moe. I watched the video and it seems like it's worth a shot. I was doing some research last night as well and I ordered this:

I got one day shipping, so it should be here tomorrow. I'm just not sure if I should wait until the dye transfer gets here or try the enzyme approach.
Not familiar with that product as I've never used it. The brand is a good one though. Let us know how it goes

Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Ptek Will is on a distinguished road

Any update as to how leather masters dye removal worked? When a product doesn't fully remove a stain, the use of that product in conjunction with steam greatly improves the effectiveness. Steam will open up the pores of the leather and allow the stains to be extracted easier. A cheap steam machine can be found at Harbor Freights such as the McCulloch Steamer. Let us know how it went!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ptek Will
Any update as to how leather masters dye removal worked? When a product doesn't fully remove a stain, the use of that product in conjunction with steam greatly improves the effectiveness. Steam will open up the pores of the leather and allow the stains to be extracted easier. A cheap steam machine can be found at Harbor Freights such as the McCulloch Steamer. Let us know how it went!
Update:

So I tried the approach from the youtube video Moe linked me, but it didn't work.
I tried another method I looked up which included baking powder followed by vaseline, but that was also unsuccessful.

I also had a professional detailer take a stab at it with some methods he thought would work, but he didn't even make a dent.

The leather masters dye transfer was the best thing tried so far, but it did not remove the stain (just brought out some of the neon yellow color).

That's a good idea to use the steam with the conjunction of the leather masters product. I will try that and let you know how it goes.

My brother-in-law currently has the car since he took it to a detailer he knew in SD. On a positive note after trying all the methods, he told me that he has noticed the color is not as neon anymore and about 50% better.

As a last resort, I hope to find someone who can color match the leather and dye it. I got a quote for the leather from Porsche and they only sell the backseat as a whole, which is $1,800 and special order of course.

The only other option is to have an upholstery place change the square leather piece affected, but it would not be original Porsche leather so I am skeptical of doing it.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Xpel care

Hi Moe,

Can you comment on how to care for xpel including washing and products to wax and protect.

Thanks,

Neil

Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Hi Moe,

Can you comment on how to care for xpel including washing and products to wax and protect.

Thanks,

Neil
We are quite fond of CQuartz Reload as an easy product that has an amazing level of protection

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Moe.
Love your documentary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe